USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Augie,

Looks better every pic. Been using the like button so there's more room for pics!

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

I've never found your painting technique to be lacking BE.  I have just had good results using many applications of diluted acrylics (as per Ben).  I've got your log bookmarked when it comes to cannon.  There's a challenge for which you have set the standard.

Happy (?) to report that no fish were harmed during the latest sortie.  Water levels are so high up here one almost feels sorry for the poor things.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

catch and release...........or was it the lack in the use of bacon grease?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Update time!

At the risk of letting the cat out of the bag, I've completed the margin planks and waterways for the gun deck.  As they are to match the decks, I used Swiss Pear 1/16" stock supplied by Jeff from Hobbymill.  Beautiful stuff, cleanly machined.  I used the laser cut, kit-supplied basswood parts as the templates.  Proud to say I now have the beginnings of a scrap box:

post-56-0-25153700-1401986874_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-12990400-1401986894_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-92226300-1401986909_thumb.jpg

Before we get to the actual decking (and Ben's legendary Great Cabin checkerboard floor), there are a number of hatches, gratings etc. that need to be tackled.  These will be next on the docket.

Hope the coming change of seasons will treat you well no matter your hemisphere.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sweet Augie , shes looking great, Fantastic work . A Scrap box is nice to have ( I have to ogranize mine )

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

SWEET! Love Swiss pear!!

You going to do all deck planking in it? That will look superb! So great cabin in pear/ebony or holly/ebony??

Watch out for the laser cut gratings if you are going to use them as my kit had 2 different thicknesses included, don't use the wrong ones!!

Ben

Edited by Trussben

Very nice Augie. Isn't it a privilege to use Jeff's timber? :)

Don't think of it as a "scrap" box, but more of a "spare stock" box for making smaller parts! ;)

Thanks all.  I love the color of swiss pear so that's what the decks shall be.  I think it will offer a nice contrast with the exposed beams. 

Thanks for the heads-up on the grates, Ben.  In spite of your kindness, we will not be discussing the floor at this point.  I can, however, guarantee that ebony is not in the running.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie:

Just tuning in to your beautiful build of my favorite ship in the world. Makes me want to build her again. Wonderful work indeed. I am looking forward to following your progress from this point.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

looking really nice Augie........I see the holds are marked out...are they all marked like that?   checker board floor....is that what your planning?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hmm.. scrap box.  Scratch built waterways.  The darkside is beckoning you, young Jedi... post-76-0-47135700-1402008425.gif

On a more "on topic" theme... nice work on the waterways and margin planks.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nicely done Augie, waterways and margin planks are nicely fitted and the colour look great.

Love to see a moose on the end of a trout fly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it up mate

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Sawdust Dave and Popeye ---- PM's coming your way.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Scrap box? I have a scrap pile...and scrap box...and a real junk scrap box. Funny thing is.....I wind up rummaging through them all when I have a problem.

I have a scrap bin.........and scrap bags with separated woods,  to cut down on sifting through it all.  the bags that some of the parts come in are very handy.   they keep me honest,  in my pack rat ways ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Got so many scrap boxes with so many various materials and different parts I had to label them from the outside to avoid having to go into every one of them every time I went searching for something.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

I just did a survey of my scrap piles Believe it or not I have six different piles! Pile one is a tube of recently used wood scraps that sits on my workbench.  Pile 2 is where pile 1 goes when I don't think I need it anymore. Pile three is what's left over from the Constructo provided wood. Pile 4 is leftover cutouts that I use to shape parts. Pile 5 is any and all kinds of junk I think might come in handy one day, and pile six is my garage pile which is a source of last resort.

post-4214-0-75684400-1402105392_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-38643600-1402105403_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-83357300-1402105417_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-96543800-1402105427_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-14850100-1402105484_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-96721200-1402105496_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

I've got 3 boxes myself, each 48 x 12 x 8.......but they're full of scrap balsa and spruce for the airplanes --- not much use here!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice work on the waterways Augie, good choice on the wood!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

....to gaze upon the scrap / treasure continuum  :)    I like the parts panels.......Hipexec........I have many stored away.   the scary part is that I know which ones go together  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

My scrap has come in real handy at times, sorry to say more often than not so it doesn't build up much, I have 4 tubes with spare planks and dowel and 2 small plastic food take away boxes plus the cut outs.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Augie,

I really enjoy following along with your build.

In Chapelle's book, History of the American Sailing Navy. He writes about the confederacy and includes the Admiralty draughts made after it's capture. This is included as part of his discussion of the early continental navy.

He writes "the confederacy was an ornate ship, profusely carved. She was very handsome....she had one oddity in a large vessel of this period: her keel was slightly rockered forward. The Confederacy was described at the time of her capture as being a very fast ship and well built"

Anyway, I ran across this and thought you might be interested.

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Augie,

I really enjoy following along with your build.

In Chapelle's book, History of the American Sailing Navy. He writes about the confederacy and includes the Admiralty draughts made after it's capture. This is included as part of his discussion of the early continental navy.

He writes "the confederacy was an ornate ship, profusely carved. She was very handsome....she had one oddity in a large vessel of this period: her keel was slightly rockered forward. The Confederacy was described at the time of her capture as being a very fast ship and well built"

Anyway, I ran across this and thought you might be interested.

Richard

Thanks for that excerpt Richard.  I once had a copy of that book in my library but lent it to a friend.  I still have his History of American Sailing Ships and enjoy re-reading it every now and again.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976