Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Thanks Ken. The cabin planks stay as is. I'm planning on leaving at least half the deck over the cabin open so there should be some view of it.

Thanks Sjors. I've tried to see both sides at once,but it doesn't work so well. I only know there are differences because some of the parts aren't exactly identical from one side to the other.

Bob

A very nice and handsome build Bob,

it is a delight to follow you build log

well done!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Bob, that is some sweet progress. The cabin and galleries look fantastic.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Cabin, galleries, stern --- all first class.  I may have missed it, did you glaze the windows?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very nice Bob! I'm loving it.  :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Bob,

Phenomenal!!  As for what to do next, may I suggest admire your work before pressing on?  That is one sweet ship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow. Thanks to all for the very generous comments and the "likes". They are so appreciated.

Mark and Nigel: Time to tip one back (always), but not to stop working, Even a retired guy has to have a day job.

Bob

Wow. Thanks to all for the very generous comments and the "likes". They are so appreciated.

Mark and Nigel: Time to tip one back (always), but not to stop working, Even a retired guy has to have a day job.

Bob

Not at the same time Bob!modeling is not recommended whilst under the influence :D  :D

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Gorgeous work on the quarter galleries, transom and cabin! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thanks for the thought, Bob - haven't had much time for the Blandford between family and work....too much going on at the moment - quite amazing how the leisure time evaporates....I have done work on it, but not a whole heck of a much.....I'll post something soon, if only to keep my build log active....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

For no particular reason, I decided to do the rudder next. I used the kit rudder piece, which was shaped, painted and coppered. I added three ringbolts ( which don't show up on my photos at all). The pintles and gudgeons are simplified as a concession to scale and done with copper tape, eyebolts and wire. The chains are attached to one of the ringbolts. I used a smaller chain than that provided in the kit, which I had on hand.

Bob

post-186-0-26873700-1393343492_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-96916500-1393343513_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-75018200-1393343538_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-25851200-1393343560_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-12890600-1393343577_thumb.jpg

That looks really nice. Let me ask you... Is the copper for the pintles and gudgeons more authentic? I've thought that we all reproduce these pieces in black to simulate iron and figured that they would rust away in no time if they really were made of iron.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

While I have not found (yet) the composition of the pintles and gudgeons in The Essex Papers, they were supplied by Paul Revere who provided the majority of the copper work (plates, bolts &c.) for the Essex.  All of the references I could locate indicated he was supplying copper products only, with the iron materials coming from a foundry in Salem.  Spikes were provided for 50 cents  and 39 cents for rudder braces and pintles.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Bob

Amazing work all round - I enjoy. I'm intrigued by the rope off the end of the chains. Pendants, as B.E calls them - no doubt the correct term. These are correct in all ways I'm sure but I've never seen that detail before. Can you enlighten on the source of this detail and why it was so?

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks for the info Wayne.

Thanks B.E. and Alistair. The laniard passes through the hull and is tied off internally (I didn't). It is shown by Sam and by AOTS. Syren has similar laniards which pass over the bulwarks, rather than through them.

The photos seem to magnify the separation B.E, but I will give some thought to what you say.

Bob

For no particular reason, I decided to do the rudder next. I used the kit rudder piece, which was shaped, painted and coppered. I added three ringbolts ( which don't show up on my photos at all). The pintles and gudgeons are simplified as a concession to scale and done with copper tape, eyebolts and wire. The chains are attached to one of the ringbolts. I used a smaller chain than that provided in the kit, which I had on hand.

Bob

Nice looking coppering Bob,

are those tiles ponced by yourself ? (using tape)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Greetings Bob,

Reference is made to C. Nepean Longridge's book on the building of the definitive model of Victory. On page 57, he references making the P&Gs out of sheet copper for his model, so you are in good company. However, he painted them black as seen in the pictures of the model, apparently to simulate cast iron. Further, pictures of the actual ship in the book show that the P&Gs were were probably cast iron. If you see the pictures, note that the components have sharp corners and angles typical of a purpose built casting. I doubt that copper was used for P&Gs on large ships simply because it lacks sufficient strength. On the other hand, cast bronze would work and we know that it was used to cast bells, guns, etc. during that time period, and is still used today for many marine applications. Bronze is a copper alloy containing tin, and would not promote galvanic action as would the iron. I wonder if it was ever used for P&Gs? Essex is a later ship than Victory, but I expect the same construction methods would apply. Nice work, by the way.

wq3296 

Time to start making guns. After searching around for barrels to replace the kit castings, I could find none that closely matched the sizes needed. As a result, I had two choices: use the castings or make my own. In this case, I chose to try to use the castings. After a lot of filing, drilling out the bore and adding the rings for the breeching rope to the button, the barrels looked acceptable to my eye. They were then painted black.

Next came the question of the carriages. This time, I decided not to use the kit parts, but to use the laser cut pear carriage kits from the Lumberyard. Here again, because of the odd scale of the kit (1:76.8), finding a size match was a bit of trial and error. I ended up using their 1:64 6 lb carriages. These still required some modification to allow the barrels to fit. After assembly and finish with Wipe-on Poly, I added the eyebolts, ringbolts and the quoin handles (these were done with the smallest brass belaying pins that I had on hand). The bolt heads on the carriages were done with a fine tip marker. The barrels were then glued in place and the cap squares added using black painted tape ( another concession to the very small size of these pieces).

I'm going to rig these guns with blocks and rigging line from Chuck. Sizes are again the issue and I'm now awaiting my second order from Chuck to pick what I want to use.

Bob

post-186-0-94138400-1393673427_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-31745800-1393673458_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-81220500-1393673483_thumb.jpg