Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Hi Bob:

Wow - I'd love to see how it turned out. The Unicorn seems like a very different ship, though I'm not that familiar with it, except via ian's build log elsewhere on this forum. I imagine you encountered (as I have) a lot of difficulties in adapting the kit. I've found that the line between frustration and fun can be a very thin one in this craft....My grandfather used to say that if the results are good then the only question you need to ask is if the process was honest. Anyway - keep on keeping on

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton: I don't have any photos and don't have the model anymore. The Unicorn framing provided an approximation of the hull shape and in those days I wasn't quite as concerned as I would be today.

Back to Essex. I did a few easy things prior to planking. First, I added some additional framing at the stern to frame the doors to the quarter galleries. I'm considering showing the great cabin in some level of detail and also scratch building the quarter galleries. This framing will allow me those options down the road. Next, I painted the area of the lower deck cut outs with Pollyscale engine black. I then made and installed the sections of lower deck planking to fit the cut outs. The deck planking is holly (as will be all of the deck planking). The caulking is simulated by pencil on one edge of each plank. It's finished with Wipe On Poly. Lastly, I painted the inside and edges of the gun ports with Pollyscale AT&SF red.

I've decided to begin the planking with the upper outer hull. Full speed ahead!

Bob

post-186-0-43635100-1380896941_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-20031700-1380896984_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-69647500-1380897033_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-45835700-1380897099_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-31604400-1380897142_thumb.jpg

Nice progress! We're starting to see the light at the end of your tunnel. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Holly planking on lower decks looks great.  Sharp as a tack (as usual).

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

It looks very crowd over there.

I hope that you still know whats what goes for where……. :D

I'm looking with my mouth open ( I have to close it sometimes )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks Patrick, Augie and Sjors. I've started the planking and I'm liking it. There will be photos for you, Sjors, when I get a little further along.

Bob

Looks like you've overcome those initial problems Bob. Looking good! Glad to hear you're back to "enjoyment" mode.

I've now done the upper hull planking on the port side. The planking is boxwood with caulking simulated by using pencil on one side and one end of each plank. The planking that I've done has only been rough sanded to this point and no finish will be applied until the planking is complete.

All was going pretty well until I got to the planking of the quarterdeck area. The kit then hit me with yet another unpleasant surprise. The bulkhead extensions (or arms?) turned out to all be too short ( as well as of varying sizes, which I already knew). This required a lot of fiddly work to increase the height. My use of isopropyl to remove unsatisfactory work is now nearing record proportions. The good news is that the previous adjustments that I made to the defective framing parts has resulted -- at least so far-- in pretty good looking lines. The true test for that, of course, will come in the lower hull. I'm also pleased with the modification that I made to the bow framing and the knight heads.

Now it's on to the starboard side. Hopefully, it will be a little easier, having figured out the problems on the first side. I'm also debating with myself about tree nailing. At this scale, it's beyond my ability to do real treenails, but simulated ones, using filler, may be possible. The question is whether they would be worthwhile even if possible.

Bob

post-186-0-63851600-1381270800_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-76320600-1381270846_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-39291500-1381270897_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-94961300-1381270956_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-69017700-1381271004_thumb.jpg

You are making remarkable progress in spite of the obstacles.  Your planking, without sanding, looks better then what I can produce as a final finish.

Will be interested to hear your call on the treenails.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

The planking looks great! The diligence has clearly paid off

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Bob, your planking is outstanding. Are you planning on putting any paint or stain on the Essex?

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Nice planking!

I wish I would have added simulated caulking to the hull planks on my AVS. The walnut joints ended up really tight and nice, but its really difficult to see the planking details such as the tapering, butt joints and stealers; although with the dark walnut, details may still be difficult to see.

I did simulated treenails on the hull as well, but dont think I would do them again. I like them on my deck, but was dissapointed with the look on my hull.

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Hi Bob,

As anticipated you did an excellent job on the planking. I have done the simulated treenails before

and if you like them they can add nicely to the model. Then again I have left them off and been very

happy too!

Lotta help huh? :huh:  I’m sure whatever you do will look great.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Many thanks to all for your generous comments. They are appreciated. 

Patrick, the wales will be painted. Other areas ( transom, windows, some trim) will probably be painted as well. I will leave as much natural wood as looks right to me.

In my usual fashion, I'm going to leave the treenail decision for later.

Bob

Thanks Thomas. I use a little trick to get the rebate right and keep them square. Whenever possible, I make the planks between ports as a multi plank unit, which allows precise sanding to size and shape prior to gluing the assembly to the framing.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

The starboard side upper hull planking is now done. This entailed the same buildup of the bulkhead arms as previously described and followed the same methods as for the port side.

It is my intention to next do three areas: the upper and lower counters; the remainder of the planking to the wales; the wales. I still haven't decided about treenailing.

Bob

post-186-0-25857200-1382118601_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-39042400-1382118713_thumb.jpg

Looks real nice Bob. A nice smooth run. Also tons of time to procrastinate ;) I mean think about those treenails!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I added the remaining planking down to the wales on the port side and was about to do the wales when Sam informed me that he would have previously omitted material on the wales ready soon, so I decided to wait. That brought about the end of my procrastination on the treenails. Probably to the surprise of no one, I decided to go ahead and do them.

After marking and drilling what seemed like an endless number of holes, I filled them with Elmers walnut filler.This is probably a little dark, but I liked the look better than using golden oak, which I have used in the past. Considerations of the small scale, and aging eyes and hands, led me to use an arrangement of the treenails which is more stylized than accurate, but which I think (hope?) gives the right impression overall. After filling and sanding, I applied a coat of Wipe On Poly for protection. Now, I can do it all over again on the other side.

Bob

post-186-0-60992200-1382472477_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-57177600-1382472530_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-73049100-1382472573_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-68262700-1382472611_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-28173000-1382472668_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-32074400-1382472729_thumb.jpg

Nice.....and very dramatic.  Have fun on the flip side.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Looks good! Even better considering the amount of fine repetitive work that we all know goes behind this! Quick question - the wood filler looks very powdery in the photos (maybe it's just my eyes) - but the Elmer's filler is more of a paste, no? Whenever I've applied it I have a tendency to get it everywhere, which makes for a messy finish....can I ask how you applied it in such (relatively) neat rows? Did you use a knife (I usually just use a finger! - maybe part of my problem!) 

Anyway, thanks for sharing

hamilton