HMS Naiad 1797 by albert - 1/48 - Finished

On 7/19/2018 at 4:30 AM, montañes said:

Hello Albert.
It would be very interesting to see more in detail the breakdown of the entire base and the supports of the ship, the slide cars.
If you can not, do not worry.
It is very interesting
Thanks Albert

The launching structures are well described in Building the Wooden Fighting Ship by Dodds and Moore. Those are driver screws at the bow which apply force to get the keel in motion after the supports are knocked away. The cradle is removed after the ship is launched.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Following your build log for HMS Naiad was quite special, a real tour de force on plank on frame model shipbuilding.  Your joinery all throughout the build was exquisite and something all modelers aspire to achieve.  I look forward to seeing your next project.  You certainly set the bar very high for yourself with this model.  Thank you.

• 3 years later...

Bravo, Alberto!  Beautifully done from keel to figurehead.  I love the launch cradle display.  Wonderful work.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Albert,

In several posts, there are links to images without displaying them. If you have them, could you post them here?

THANKS

Good luck for your Anson !

Edited by Mic_Nao

The best aperitif is not necessarily the most expensive, it's the one we share!

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34058-frigate-l-egyptienne-1799-scale-148-by-mic_nao/#comment-969607

Hi Albert. Your building and dry dock are out standing. If you don't mind just a question but the wood on your base looks like pear but what is the top made of ? It looks like rock by the color and this is the same type of base I want to build for Montague/Alfred. Another question how wide is the opening of the back of the slip and how deep did you make it at the back end and front end.  Have the book you talk about and will come in real handy and thank you again very very much for sharing your build with us. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

I have just caught up with this log. I read the first two replies: Greg (dvm 27) wrote: "..You are going to make a beautiful Naiad"  and Druxey wrote: ".... a brilliant beginning".  They know a thing or two about model ship building, those two, don't they!

Absolutely stunning work.

Very best wishes

Fred

Hello thank you you are very kind, unfortunately at the moment I don't have the possibility to put back the photos that have disappeared, Gary I put the only photo I found of the rough construction site under construction, the structure is in plywood covered with but the stone-like upper part is very old coarse grain sandpaper cut to size and glued, the dimensions of the construction site were proportioned to the dimensions of the model by taking the dimensions taken from the drawings in the book mentioned above, as a last thing I thank Ed Tosti again for the magnificent books on the Naiad and I share fully what was said about Greg and David for their great knowledge and great manual skills in shipbuilding and for their magnificent books that I own and consult frequently. A greeting

• 1 month later...