Young America by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper 1853

Hi Ed,

I want to add my congratulations!!!!

Will you be attending the NRG in October? Will you be bringing books to sell with you? I have Vol. I of Naiad but I would love to pick up Vol. II and Young America.

I hope to see you there.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thank you all for these very supportive comments and for the interest expressed in the book.  The clipper era and the extraordinary ships themselves provide fascinating subjects for study and modeling.  I hope the book will introduce many to this somewhat neglected ship modeling area.

As for the NRG conference that some have mentioned, I plan to be there with both Young America model versions, completed to the extent described in Volume I.  Bob Friedman will also attend and will take orders for all Sea Watch Books.  I believe he plans to bring a limited number of copies of my book for direct sale.  I will be happy to add my unintelligible script to these.

Robin, it is good to hear from you.  I have been a fan of Derek Gardner's work for many years and have two of his watercolor prints hanging over my desk.  I was delighted to discover his painting of Young America and even more excited that we could obtain rights to use it on the dust jacket.  The painting certainly captures the essence of the clipper ship under sail and well depicts Young America in her early career with her massive single topsails.

Ed

Hello Ed.

Let praises be to you, Warlock of the Scantlings, :-))

and may your book shine down on me from my christmas tree ( has to be a sturdy one, of course ). That will hopefully become reality, if (!) Sea Watch Books can manage to ship it over to me in time, as the demand will surely be keen. Though I´ll never be able to work to your standards, I will have a ball reading your book and comprehending how this ship has been build on the ways. Ed, my congratulations and appreciation for your 1st class work on both of your models and on this book.

Chapeau !

Germanus

Edited by jo conrad

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your comments and likes and for your support for the now-published book.  I feel I have been neglecting the fully-framed version of Young America - and posting to this blog - for way to long.  

There has been little work on the model since April - a long hiatus.  May and June were taken up with getting the book ready for press.  Since then I have been consumed with the drafting and research for the next phases of construction - fitting out the weather decks and rigging.  I also decided to carry the POB version of the model to a more advanced state and post that work on MSW to supplement to POB Chapters in the book for those who might want to build that model these posts will provide more information than could be included in Volume I.  Volume II will apply to both versions equally - but it is some time off.

The picture below shows the current state of both models - mounted on temporary bases and ready for transport to the NRG Conference in Mystic next week.  Hope to see many of you there.

Ed

post-570-0-26277100-1445007830_thumb.jpg

Belle of 53.....

Good luck at Mystic.

post-2739-0-14918100-1445035685_thumb.jpg

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Nice painting. There's not much more to say.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Prior to my build of the Glory of the Seas and the Donald McKay...I was nearly moved to build the YA myself....however..she is a Webb creation and I'm currently a McKay fan...however Webb did lay down a 10K bet that the YA could beat McKay's Sovereign of the Seas.  No contest found fruition.... but Webb ships come in a close/tight second to my favorite McKay vessels.

I just love American clippers...and YA is one of the best of the best.  Plus I build clippers for the reason that they did something particularly spectacular....The SOS set the fastest recorded speed of 22 knots for a clipper..worthy of a build IMV..the Western Shore for being the only large clipper built on the West coast of the US.  And the Glory of the Seas..for many reasons, but one in particular...I have several pieces of her.

Calm seas.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Wish I could make it to the NRG Conference just to see such beautiful models as your YA, and meet the true masters of the art.

Congratulations on finishing the book.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Steve,

Thank you for purchasing the book and for your interest in building one of the two models.  Let me know how you progress with this.  You are not missing any drawings.  Drawings 2 and 8 are the plans that get pasted to the shipway for the 1:72 and 1:96 models respectively.  Because these tend to get damaged in this service, we decided to include them as pdf files on the CD that could be reprinted and replaced as needed.  You will find them - and all information included on the CD  - in the subdirectories for the chapters in which they are first needed.  The CD also includes instructions on how to print these out on multiple smaller sheets and how to fit them to the shipway.  This is the method I have used for all the drawings in my workshop.  In the case of the shipway plans (2 and 8)  I removed and replaced these a number of times as the work progressed.  Just be sure to trim and line up the edges correctly - and of course to print them and all the CD conteent at actual, 100%, size.

Good luck.  Let me know if you have problems.

Ed

Ed,

Thanks for the clarification on the number 2 & 8 drawings.

Along that point, I'm NOT sure that my printer "HP Oficejet Pro 8600" will allow 11" wide paper. So Ill probably take the PDF to a local Big Box offfice supply/copy store for printing. If I do, I'll ask that the print in be in (1) continuous sheet..Do you see any potential problems by doing this? Are there measurments I can take of the completed print to insure as much precision as would be required for a wooden model?

Steve

Steve, you should read the pdf document included on the CD with instructions to print this drawing on multiple letter-sized sheets - 8 1/2" x 11".  Your 8600 Pro will print these sheets and all other CD content on letter-sized paper without a problem.

There will be no problem with accuracy of dimensions on the drawings if you print them at actual 100% size then trim and align them properly on the board .  I have done this dozens of times without problems.  Selecting "Cut Marks" on the Adobe Reader dialog box, crop marks will be printed to facilitate trimming and alignment.  Take care when aligning and gluing down these sheets.

I know there is an urge to jump in and start the work, but let me suggest reading through the material in order first - both the text and relevant material on the CD.  All is thoroughly explained.  This will save lots of confusion.  

Good Luck.

Ed

Ed,

I apologize for wording my question incorectly. I should have pre-phased my query with the statement that, I did NOT wish to print on the smaller 8 1/2 x 11 paper and would instead prefer to print on one sheet. When the local copy store pointed out the copywrite on the print, I was not sure on how to procede.

I still wish to obtain a single sheet copy and will look elsewhere for a compatible copy merchant.

Thank you for your support.

Steve

Your choice, Steve, but I believe you are over-complicating the issue.  Smaller sheets are very easy to paste down and replace as needed.  I used this method for Naiad and both Young America models with great success - and by the method described I can vouch for precision.

Ed

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 119 – Main Deck Cabin 1

It has been quite a while since my last posting to this log in April.  Work on the book, drafting for the next phases, and taking the 1:96 POB version to a more complete state has filled the intervening time.  I had decided to leave both models at the level of completion covered in Volume I of the book for display at the NRG conference.  Work on the 1:72 framed model has now resumed – I hope in earnest.

I started fabrication work on the main deck cabin in August and some of that work is shown below. This large cabin housed the crew, the galley, and perhaps other things.  Boats were stored on skid beams on the roof.  I will be the first to admit that this finicky, small-piece, detail work is not my forte.  I am much more at home with beams, clamps and futtocks, but I will describe the method.  The first picture shows wall panels for the ends of the cabin.

post-570-0-05705100-1446041622_thumb.jpg

These were made by edge gluing planks that had the outer edges beveled – to simulate lapped planking.  The pieces were glued up on waxed paper, with the first plank curved against pins to match the round-up of the deck. The panels were run through the thickness sander to remove excess glue on the inside.  They have a first coat of white paint on the outside.  These two have been drilled at the widow openings.  In the next picture these openings are been cut square.

post-570-0-47397100-1446041622_thumb.jpg

After marking out, this work was started with a chisel and finished off with a flat file.  The next picture shows the two panels painted and with the window framing and inside structural members installed.

post-570-0-11885100-1446041623_thumb.jpg

Lacking specific original detail, I framed the cabin much like a house, but with heavier members – 4x4 studs capped by a long 4x4 plate to support the 4x10 beams with knees that will be added later.  I found examples of this type of construction in later wooden vessels.

I had to decide whether to enclose the cabin completely or leave some of it open to reveal the deck framing below.  I decided on the latter course, leaving out internal detail that would further hide the structure below.  The next picture shows work on the long, starboard side wall.

post-570-0-85959700-1446041623_thumb.jpg

On all of these wall panels, the siding was painted before installing the trim.  In the picture, door openings were cut out and filled with panels that would eventually be trimmed out with small pieces to simulate doors.  The next picture shows inside framing on this panel.

post-570-0-84857900-1446041624_thumb.jpg

The 4x4 studs are left long at the bottom to “bolt” into the base coaming.  The next picture shows the finished wall panel.

post-570-0-55902300-1446041625_thumb.jpg

The panel for this wall was made to match the curve of the deck sheer by curving the planks as they were edge glued.  Door jambs, paneling and simple hardware were added to the base panel shown above. All of the windows and doors are fitted with sliding storm panels that could be closed for protection in heavy weather.  Paint was scraped from under these details to ensure good glue joints. 

In the next picture the side wall is clamped in position and the forward end panel is being fitted for size.

post-570-0-04066200-1446041626_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows the side wall being glued in place to the coaming.

post-570-0-64689100-1446041626_thumb.jpg

The wall is being held in position using pine wedges to force wood strips against the feet of the studs.  The last picture shows the port side wall framing being assembled - studs and plate only at this stage.

post-570-0-06313700-1446041627_thumb.jpg

This structure will be left open on the port side.  It will be very fragile until all of the framing is added.  The heavy timber across the bottom is temporary and has been added to support the structure until installed.  It is held to the studs using the paste stick-glue that I use on patterns.

To be continued….

Ed

Great building.  Reminds me of model railroad building techniques...with scale dimensional lumber.  Fantastic work Ed

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Steve,

I noticed your problem with the local copy people.  Ed has given the purchaser full permission for reproduction of the material on page 18.  The last paragraph under "Information Included" stipulates that: "This information is intended for use only by the purchaser of the book.  You may make copies of the material for your own use, including printing at different scales"

Try taking the book to the copy center and showing them the reference.  Having a single continuous print is much better than messing with individual sheets.  I also recently purchased the book and am trying to muster the courage to step off the cliff.

Best regard, Bob

Bob

Current Build:  Mantua "USS Constitution - 1797"

Pending:  Model Shipways "USS Constitution"

Completed:  Model Shipways "USF Essex -1799"

Model Shipways "New Bedford Whale Boat"

Billings "Zwarta Zee" (RC)

BlueJacket "Sequin" Tugboat (RC)

As Bob points out, the purchaser of the book has the right to make copies for personal use. I perhaps should have added that the author accepts no responsibility for reproduction errors by third parties - or by the purchaser for that matter.  We included these as pdfs with illustrated printing instructions in response to comments by readers of earlier books that the single print soon gets soiled and needs to be replaced or for those who want to retain a "good copy."  We aim to please.   As to the the ease of attaching and aligning the drawing on the shipway, I have found attaching and replacing small sheets quite easy and in fact continue to use the method even though I have the ability to print these on one sheet, so I will continue to advocate that simple approach.  However, you have the choice.

Since this topic is related to the book and therefore both versions of the model, I'd like to suggest that further comments and other book issues be placed in the book topic in the book reviews section.  

Ed

Hi Ed,

I have been watching your build and enjoying the heck out of it.

I have a question that might have already been answered.  For the full framed version, have you decided if it will be fully rigged?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Hello, Richard.

I do plan to rig the full framed, 1:72 version of the model.  We expect this to be the subject of Volume II.  However, the second volume is planned to equally apply to either version of the model and sufficient information will be included to support rigging either one. 

Ed

Gianpiero,

Thanks for the 26 likes.  It looks "like" you were catching up.

Ed

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 120 – Main Deck Cabin 2

Work on the deck cabin continued.  In the first picture the starboard side has been installed and the forward bulkhead is in the process.

post-570-0-14538900-1446559265_thumb.jpg

All the bulkheads were made to fit into the rabbet on the coaming.  In the next picture, both end bulkheads are in place and the framing for the port side is being installed.

post-570-0-72530200-1446559265_thumb.jpg

Pine strips with wedges were used along the floor to hold the studs against the coaming at the bottom.  The reinforcing pine batten is still pasted in place.  This side of the structure will be left open for visibility into the framing below.

In the next picture the pine batten has been removed and masking tape has been placed on the deck framing to prevent small pieces from dropping through.  These can now be very difficult to extract.  The first of the rounded up roof rafters are being fitted.

post-570-0-10761300-1446559266_thumb.jpg

In the next picture these have been installed.  A number of them have been fitted with hanging knees to provide some wind bracing.  This structure had to be quite strong.

post-570-0-64424500-1446559266_thumb.jpg

In the next picture the masking tape has been removed and the tops of the end bulkheads trimmed out in readiness for the roof planking.

post-570-0-16358600-1446559267_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows the initial strake of 3” x 7” roof planking being aligned against a straightedge and pinned in place.

post-570-0-68594200-1446559267_thumb.jpg

There is a strake with a water stop to be fitted outside of this one, but I wanted to paint that first and use the next inner strakes for alignment.  The next picture shows that outer strake being fitted against the two initially installed planks.

post-570-0-17124800-1446559268_thumb.jpg

In the next picture the planking has progressed almost to the centerline.

post-570-0-71865500-1446559268_thumb.jpg

The last picture shows the finished roof.

post-570-0-19263200-1446559269_thumb.jpg

The ends of the planks have been sanded square and notches cut through the water stop for the two transverse skid beams that will cross the roof.  The roof has been coated with acrylic sanding sealer, sanded smooth and painted with the same color blue as the waterways.  The paint is acrylic.

The next task is to construct the coach – the entrance to the cabin deck.

Ed

Wow!  Learning a lot from what you are showing.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex