Young America by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper 1853

Thank you, everyone for the comments, questions and likes.  I will try to answer the questions.

Marc, the first question is: eyebolts or lugs? - lugs being tabs with a hole drilled.  I have seen both in contemporary documents, so I decided to go with eyebolts.  There are very many of these to be made, at the yard arms, at the quarters, etc. so soldering on drilled lugs would be a major chore.  Soldering eyebolts on these thin (.010" to .015") bands would be as arduous as soldering lugs. The method I used for these was to install the band, then drill through it to insert eyebolts into the wood.  These are held with CA.  The eyebolts do not then depend on the strength of the thin bands but provide a solid anchor for both the rigging and the bands themselves.  The topmast shrouds will put some strain on these bolts. Also, some eyebolts will have shackles, so by the method I'm using, these soldered assemblies may be inserted later, sometimes perhaps with the lines spliced on.  In the case of the futtock bands, the futtocks will be spliced to these later and then siezed to the iron deadeye strops at the rim of the tops.

Silver solder, of course.  I use a low silver,copper-phosphorus solder-paste (1325 deg F) combination that blackens well with liver of sulfur solution.  These parts have very little mass and I have had little trouble adding pieces to the original ring.

John, the ends of the bands are butted, not overlapped.  I try to bend the ends to touch and stay in contact without other support then add a small blob of solder from the syringe, then touch with the flame and quench in white vinegar.  Very quick, very easy.  The rings get tested for strength when I push them on to the mandrel for filing, and polishing.

Frank, the bands are spaced at around 36", which I believe was the standard for made masts.  I will probably space the mizzen bands further apart.  Sometimes rework is unavoidable, especially, as you say, if you want to optimize the process.  I was disappointed at the traces of black smudging on the first main mast.  I never had this problem with LOS on structural work, but that was not subject to handling after blackening.  Since the process for making these masts will be described in the usual excruciating detail in Vol III, I wanted to nail down the best process.  Its getting there. I always expected metal bands to be a problem.

Thanks again, especially for the questions.

Ed

Edited by EdT

By the way, Frank, I should have mentioned in the last reply that in the photo of YA at San Francisco, you can actually count the main mast bands.  I had forgotten that I had checked that when I was making the mast drawing because Crothers showed 4 foot spacing on his Seagull Plans (ca 1973) and states "about 3 feet" in his last book.  The picture was his main reference.  My guess is that they were somewhere in between.  Since these were driven on to refusal while heated, I would expect some variation.  For example, in January the rings might cool faster and not go as far as in say August - many variables.

Ed

Once again Ed I see that your skill and methodology fits the task at hand. The solution to the grouping of eye-bolts through the band and into the wood makes perfect sense for the scale that you are working at.

I think that we often forget that we cannot scale nature, and at the small scale we work at we often impart massive "scale" tensions on our modelwork, as you noted the thin nature of the copper bands would be potentially compromised by these pressures, your solution is both very elegant and practical.

You do us all a great service with your knowledge and sharing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you, Micheal.  I appreciate your comments.  1:72 is a small scale.  I see the difference in what can be done even between this model and the 1:60 Naiad, which now seems large to me.  I noticed the effect to an even greater degree when building the 1;96 YA hull.  So, there is always a tension between absolute reality at what is achievable at a given scale.  There is also the question of perception of reality and absolute duplication, or the attempt at it.  There is often a deterioration in proportionality when trying to impart too much detail to a small part.  We all wrestle with these issues.  Then, when rigging is involved,  the issue of strength becomes very important.  Finally, we all have to deal with our own limitations - our eyes, our steadiness of hand, lack of patience, and, of course, our skills that are moderated by these other things, especially as we age.

Ed

Ed, I have tried brazing copper that thin for small projects and the part would melt when I used the torch.  What is your secret to doing this.  I have used tape and brass tubing shaped to fit for my banding.

David B

David, the silver solder I use melts at about 1325 deg F, copper, I believe, at around 2000 deg F, so it would seem that you are overheating, perhaps too large a torch.  My mast bands are .010" thick by .0625 wide and about an inch in circumference.  It only takes a moment with my small propane torch to flux the solder.  I have not melted one yet.  A large plumbers torch or even a micro oxy-assisted torch would probably blow right through these.

Here is a picture of my torch:

post-570-0-89402100-1480252506_thumb.jpg

Ed

Ed..fantastic job.... B)   Extreme detail to say the least.  awestruck.

Note: The spacing of banding is a mathematical one and generally the spacing is based upon the diameter of the mast.  YA has 36" diameter mast thus 36" band spacing. From what I understand.

My Great Republic has 44" diameter Fore and Main masts..thus banding is spaced at 44".

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thanks again, everyone.

Rob, that is an interesting rule of thumb, suggesting that more bands are required on smaller masts.  I would have to think about that.  Actually, I have thought about it but to no avail..  Perhaps someone could comment?  You wouldn't happen to have a reference?

Jeff, I was afraid someone would ask your question.  I bought the torch many years ago and have never seen one like it again.  I have looked - usually after someone asks about it.  Most of the small torches I have seen lately have their own small fuel cyclinder and I have no doubt they work fine.  Some are self igniting.  That would be a plus.  I use a Bic lighter.

David B, one other thought on the problem you raised.  If you are using berylium copper, which I have seen sold online, that melts much lower, I believe actually below the solder temp.

Ed

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 186 – Cheeks/Hounds and Bibbs

I mentioned in the last post that I was replacing the first main mast that was shown in some earlier photos.  Here is the replacement ready for banding.

post-570-0-51442900-1480343843_thumb.jpg

The first mainmast was developmental as far as method is concerned, the second my main process example photo subject, and the mizzen will be the final proof of practice.  In the meantime I have been pushing ahead with the foremast in the hope that it will measure up and be usable.  If not I'll have another practice subject.

With the foremast fully banded, other features are being added.  The terms "hounds" and "cheeks" seem to be used interchangeably in my sources to describe the squared sections that supported the cross trees of the top.  The bibbs are the forward extensions of these, knees if you will, that support the forward end of the top.  The first picture shows these installed on the foremast, before describing the steps. 

post-570-0-97110300-1480343843_thumb.jpg

The supporting upper surface will be angled and flattened later to support the top in a horizontal position on the raked mast.

If my simplified five piece model design for a made mast had its benefits, the price for that was paid in the shaping of the hound pieces.  In practice these were fayed usually against flats on the central spindle and extended above the hounds as part of the mast head, or doubling.  Since my spindle was made the size of the head and the mast below shaped round, the side hounds had to be fitted to the round tapered mast.  The two pieces are shown below during fitting.

post-570-0-42418700-1480343844_thumb.jpg

To make these, a hole was bored through a block of wood that was then tapered around the bore and separated into two pieces.  The bores were then enlarged by filing/sanding to match the taper of the round mast.  In the next picture these are being glued to the mast.

post-570-0-94625900-1480343844_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows the port bibb installed and the joint for the other being pared.

post-570-0-43699100-1480343845_thumb.jpg

Both joints were cut first on the hounds and the bibbs cut to fit, with some adjustments to the hounds during the process as shown.  The next picture shows that bib being glued

post-570-0-89543100-1480343845_thumb.jpg

After gluing, the sides were filed flat and the bolts added.  There are three through the edges of each bibb and eight securing the hounds to the mast.  These are black monofilament secured with CA.

Bands are sometimes shown around the lower end of the hounds.  I don't see how heat shrunk bands could possibly have been fitted with the hounds in place or what purpose they would serve vs. bolts.  I suppose shaped bands could be slid on before the hounds were installed then driven up over the bottom ends.  On the other hand, such bands under the hounds could be fitted and of benefit.  I'll save this question for the next model.

Next, the chafing battens.

Ed

Edited by EdT

Fantastic work Ed.  Not sure of the method used for the hounds install...but your final application works.

Just wondering if the drilling and install of the sling eye bolt might have been easiest done with the  bibs not installed quite yet?

Regardless of your steps...the final mast is looking exceptional.

I hate it when you have to redo stuff because of an unforeseen mishap(Sorry about the blackening)

Rob(Quite impressed)

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Part 187 – Chafing Battens

Chafing battens were used to limit damage to sails and rigging that were subject to rubbing against ironwork or other rough parts of masts or spars.  The largest and most prominent of these are the large forward battens on the lower masts.  These protected the lower sails. 

I am not sure how these battens were fitted over the mast bands in practice, but I assume they would be slotted, caulked, and sealed to prevent moisture causing rot on the mast.  So, fitting these neatly over the mast bands becomes a chore.

First, the battens must be fit over the mast.  I started by milling a concave gutter in the batten stock as shown in the first picture.

post-570-0-37823700-1480600986_thumb.jpg

The purpose of this was to establish a straight groove as a starting point for the handwork necessary to fit the piece to the tapered mast.  This fitting was done with the curved rifflers in the next picture – with frequent checks against the mast itself, in this case the unbanded, new main mast in the picture.

post-570-0-93785200-1480600986_thumb.jpg

After fitting to the mast, the batten was ripped off of the stock shown above.  Once the bands were placed on the mast, clearance slots were filed at the band locations.

post-570-0-25547200-1480600987_thumb.jpg

These slots provide clearance at the edges but not in the center of the batten.  The slots are shallow.  The bands are only .010" thick.  The spaces between the slots were hollowed out with a small gouge to help the batten lie flat on the mast.

post-570-0-77262000-1480600987_thumb.jpg

Since these inside hollows will not be visible, no attempt was made to square them to fit the bands.

The batten was then glued to the mast.  The shellac coating was filed away under the joint so the glue would adhere.  The batten was then nailed/bolted along its length with monofilament bolts held with CA.

The batten was then rounded on its forward face to the correct thickness.

The next picture shows the forward batten and the smaller side battens glued and bolted to the foremast. 

post-570-0-26593600-1480600988_thumb.jpg

The side battens extend over the area where both the mainstay and the main topmast stay pass beside the mast.  This was checked by running lines from the main top, hence the red correction notation on the drawing.  The next picture shows these with the foremast temporarily in position.

post-570-0-81814800-1480600988_thumb.jpg

The last picture shows the forward batten on the new main mast – alongside the replaced earlier mast.

post-570-0-29248800-1480600989_thumb.jpg

Ed

Edited by EdT

Super execution...Ed.  I too, always wondered how the relief was created under the batten.   Your approach seams as likely as any other.

Mast construction surely differed among the builders...cuz many McKay ships were not fashioned with them and others were.  Not sure that was the builder of the masts call or that of McKay's.

Your work is masterful.

Rob(I still have a lot of deck work to do before I get there)

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Albert and Rob and thanks everyone for the likes.  Welcome back, Guy, and thanks for your comment.

Ed

Part 188 – Completing Main and Fore Masts

Just a few finishing up steps were required to complete the two large lower masts.  First, the tops of the hounds had to be angled to the rake of their masts so the tops, when fitted, would be level.  The foremast rake is about 4.75 degrees and the main is at about 5.4 degrees.  A plywood gauge, shown in the first picture was trimmed on each side to these angles.

post-570-0-22670000-1481466186_thumb.jpg

This gauge was then used to check the angle of the hounds as it was trimmed back by filing, as shown below.

post-570-0-83560600-1481466186_thumb.jpg

The gauge is held parallel to the masthead in the picture.  These mastheads are not tapered.  Both sides had to be matched.  These will get a final trim when the tops are installed and can be levelled more accurately and in both directions. 

The next picture shows the main and fore masts with all the construction work completed.

post-570-0-21139400-1481466187_thumb.jpg

All the foremast ironwork has been blackened in the picture.  This was all done all at once after all the bands, including the masthead bands were installed and all other work on the mast completed.  This was done to avoid excessive handling of the blackened bands.  Liver of sulfur solution was brushed into each band until black.  Brushing helps eliminate black powdery buildup.  As each band was blackened it was rinsed under running water.  The masts were left to dry overnight then given a finish of Tung oil diluted 50%, applied with cotton swabs.  In the next picture a dry cotton swab is being used to soak up any excess oil.

post-570-0-69101400-1481466187_thumb.jpg

The Tung oil restores the tone of the Castello and protects the blackened metal as well as the wood.  The mastheads were left unfinished so that wood fittings may be added later after the tops are slipped over.  The last picture shows the two masts placed temporarily in position to allow the Tung oil to dry..

post-570-0-23058200-1481466188_thumb.jpg

Mast wedges will be made and fitted at the partners later, probably after the tops and masthead trim is installed.  This will permit that work to be completed on the workbench.  Meanwhile, the mizzen mast is in the works.

Ed

Love it.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Great work as we have come to expect Ed.  I love the unplanked method, including the ship's boat, and I am sure everyone here understands and appreciates it.   I just hope not too many lay people that do not know this hobby ask you when you are going to finish the model, or worse, ask if the planks fell off   :o

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks everyone for the comments and likes.

Thanks for the comment on the mast detail, Frank.  t has taken some time and some rework to get a good result between the clean soft yellow of the wood and the smudgy black copper, but I am reasonably happy.  The mast detailing has been slow because virtually all the rigging detail must be known so the various fittings can be installed at this stage.  A lot of back and forth between the shop and the drafting.

Yes, Allan.  What can we do about these infernal "lay people" who wonder how the water was kept out of these open framed ships?  I guess we should be thankful for the "teachable moments" many comments provide.  A little humor helps.  I once told someone that large ballons were deployed in the hold.  We are a strange and not too common breed.

Ed

Balloons, eh? I always wondered....  And the ship's boat in frame can be explained by, "The sailors are working on it in their spare time." 

Those lower masts look lovely now, Ed. Well done. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Always such a treat to re-visit this log and catch up on your progress Ed.
As always, completely lost for words to express my admiration for your amazing modeling skills and attention to the most minute details.
Thanks again for sharing with hacks like myself.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Part 189 – Lower Mizzen Fittings

The mizzen mast has some additional hardware not found on the forward masts. First, there is a belaying ring, or spider band around the mast instead of the fife rails of the forward masts.  The design of this is not documented, but from the work on the rigging list, at least 16 lines should be belayed here.  The ring for the model is a simple circular flange around the mast bored for 16 belaying pins.  The unblackened part is shown in the first picture.

post-570-0-94879100-1481810947_thumb.jpg

This was made as a turning from a solid brass billet to fit over a brass tube mast ring that was silver-soldered in.  The pin holes were then drilled in the mill using the rotary table.  The ring will be a tight fit over the mast about 39" off the deck.  This is a pretty piece that will be completely hidden under a mass of rope.

In the next picture it has been blackened and installed on the mast.  Above it is a reinforcing hoop and above that will be a bracket that will support the spanker mast.

post-570-0-99192400-1481810948_thumb.jpg

A start on the spanker mast bracket is shown in the drawing.  The mast band part of it has been shaped to fit the mast and will be soldered with other parts added progressively.  The finished bracket is shown in the next picture.

post-570-0-48242200-1481810949_thumb.jpg

This piece is of thicker stock than the normal mast hoop, as were the bands for the lower yard trusses.  The small eye will support the goose neck of the spanker boom.  Both pieces are shown on the mast in the next picture. 

post-570-0-95235000-1481810949_thumb.jpg

The spider ring was pre-blackened, but all the copper work will be blackened later as was done for the other masts.  The third piece to be made was the wood stool for the spanker mast.  While the bracket maintains the horizontal position, the stool will take the weight of the 9" diameter mast.  The next picture shows the stool parts.

post-570-0-48259300-1481810950_thumb.jpg

For strength on the model, I set the stool itself into a mortise in the mast that will give it the appearance of a surrounding piece but the strength of the mortise joint.  Two triangular gussets that will reinforce the stool are shown.  The last picture shows the three items installed.

post-570-0-99673200-1481810950_thumb.jpg

Shaping and polishing of the stool assembly has yet to be done.  The gussets were glued to flats filed on the mast.  The remaining hoops may now be installed on the mizzen mast.

Meanwhile, work has begun on the fore top.

Ed