Young America by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper 1853

Rob,  put the ends of a length of wire in a vise, loop the bight over a hook in a a hand drill, maintain moderate (not too much) tension, turn the drill to make the chain.  Wire size about the diameter of the wire on the chain. Number of wire turns = number of links in that length of chain/2 - approximately.  Each turn represents two links.

Ed

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 308 – Foremast Top-hamper

I will use the term "top-hamper" to refer to the upper parts of the masts. That is, the royal/skysail/poles, the royal and skysail yards, plus the associated rigging. I do not much care for this term, but it was commonly used at the time and will make my descriptions more concise.  These parts are being discussed together because I expect to prefabricate the entire assembly complete with most of the rigging on the workbench before mounting the whole assembly on the model.  Hopefully this will reduce the strain of assembly on the upper masts where most of the work is small and above my shoulder height.

The first picture shows the pole mast and the royal yard with some of rigging lines.

1782862076_YA30801.jpg.817809b615065473084d12a8a5f77eab.jpg

The skysail yard and its rigging has yet to be added to this array. In additional to rigging normally fitted at the bench on normal yards – the foot ropes, sheet chains, and blocks – the yard bench assembly includes reeving and connecting the standing lifts, buntlines, leechlines and the royal sheet falls that were rigged after erection on each lower yard.  The next picture shows the standing rigging of the royal pole section of the mast.

1504232681_YA30802.jpg.a1a6d7af9d1332832a2ab0f08dcc425e.jpg

From right to left are the two shroud pairs, the two-eyed masthead strop for the royal standing lifts, the doubled backstays and the fore royal stay.  All these lines are coiled to avoid – or at least minimize - a major entanglement.  The next picture shows the mast temporarily set with the royal components attached.

1499200819_YA30803.jpg.057646c052078684182dee52513b42d1.jpg

This assembly was then removed so a similar amount of rigging for the skysail could be added before final erection.  The skysail yard that will be fitted to the upper part of the assembly is shown in the next picture after blackening of its copper work.

1114553094_YA30804.jpg.7b43b261e99110ab721e953c992b26f6.jpg

Ironwork on this yard is minimal, just the sling band and the jackstay stanchions.  Because this is the highest yard there is no sheet block under the center band.  The four shackles for the yardarm bands are shown to the right of the penny in this picture.  The 2.7" diameter arms (.0375" at 1:72) on this spar are too small for the banding described in Part 307, so they were fitted using black rope strapping to simulate the iron bands.  The next picture shows the yard with the shackles and banding, as well as the jackstays fitted.

1942882554_YA30805.jpg.6aa95ee5e60e7fce84568589681c92e5.jpg

The rigging for this spar, plus the standing rigging for the skysail section of the mast will next be added before the mast is set.

Ed

To reduce arm fatigue, Ed, had you considered either a lowering electric table or a portable adjustable stand to rest your elbows on while rigging?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for the suggestions, Druxey.  Arm fatigue is one problem, shaky, unsupported hands are the major issue.  I actually have an adjustable arm support beam that clamps to the case on either side or at any height or at varying distances off the center line and I use that frequently, but probably haven't had it in any of the pictures.  Even with that available, maximizing the work on the bench seems desirable - goes faster and is easier - but the entangled web on the assembly has to be sorted out or somehow minimized - working on this latter problem.  Still a lot of work to do aloft.  So far, I am liking this method.

Ed

As always Ed your attention to the tiniest details is exemplary! Yes, the 4 shackles floored me. I also agree with your sentiment that it is certainly easier to work seated at the workbench where possible. My own workspace consists of a variety of places that can be worked at both sitting and standing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Part 309 – Foremast Top-hamper 2

I mentioned in the last post that the topmost pole mast and the two upper yards were to be installed with most of the rigging fitted at the bench.  The first picture shows the assembly erected on the topgallant crosstrees.

2143535436_YA30901.jpg.be363225cd39bcad68134f54f0496cae.jpg

The two forward stays – the royal and the skysail – have been threaded down through the bowsprit, but most of the other lines are dangling in a tangle - as yet unconnected.  The running rigging lines – clew-lines, buntlines, leechlines, and skysail sheets – all of which are quite long - are coiled to avoid a real tangle.  The next step was to run the standing rigging lines to their connection points to clear some of the mess.  In the next picture the lifts on the two upper yards are rigged and the backstays for the upper mast sections have been run – but not yet connected.

142134613_YA30902.jpg.e0bbe0d758475e2738e723a3e545ed7c.jpg

The arrows point to the royal standing lift, the royal backstay and the skysail backstay on the port side.  In the next picture the skysail sheets below the royal yard have been run and the clew-lines for both yards are being rigged. 

1458688937_YA30903.jpg.8f34d9622a8a24ea29c524bdd61ac9e4.jpg

These lines serve to pull the yards down on the lifts.  Arrows point to the clew-lines that attach to the chain sheets.  All these lines pass down through the fairleads in the top and belay on the main deck rails.  Once the yards were held down, the halyards were passed through their mast sheaves and secured to their central sling bands on both yards.  In the next picture the arrow points to the dangling royal halyard chain that runs down from the mast sheave, and will eventually be connected to a tackle to the deck.

821893714_YA30904.jpg.9cff62a07a355d8154a7c98827d994d6.jpg

This picture also shows the royal shroud pairs.  These run from the masthead down through holes at the ends of the crosstrees and are seized to eyes on the topgallant mast band in the lower part of the picture.  The next picture shows the upper mast backstays connected to the deadeyes on the starboard channel

2056321531_YA30905.jpg.b7c2869764e7fef99d1082831f148b3a.jpg

Starting from the skid beam and working aft, the channel connections are – the wire for the standing end upper topsail halyard, the two topmast backstays, the tackle block for the skysail halyard, the topgallant backstay, the royal backstay, and finally the skysail backstay.  The deadeyes and lanyards on these standing lines decrease in size down to 6" diameter and 1 1/2" rope size, respectively.  The lanyards on the last three backstays will be tied off later once the tensions are set – and the mast made vertical.

The next picture shows the bunt and leechlines rigged on the royal yard. 

97904843_YA30906.jpg.c05489201fb4d8dd7615c3f900625ac9.jpg

The skysail has only lifts, halyard and clewlines.  Except for the truck at the top of the mast, some neglected ratlines on the topgallant shrouds, and a couple dozen rope coils on the pin rails, the foremast rigging is now complete.  Braces are being saved for last.  The next two pictures show the mast at this stage.

204664943_YA30907.thumb.jpg.22620787c55f93fad4441ff2903ed45d.jpg

756570338_YA30908.thumb.jpg.e31535db1bc6426253814a67dadb2fa2.jpg

This was a lot of rigging to sort out.  I hope the descriptions are not too confusing.  On the remaining masts I will use this same process, but leave off the clew, bunt, and leech lines  to be done in place.  Coiling these small cotton ropes results in a lot of fuzz when they are untangled and stretched out.  I had to replace a couple. Rigging these in place reduces this problem.  I have also begun treating cotton lines with diluted pva to further reduce fuzz.  More on this later.

Ed

Magnificent Ed...just wonderful work.  I too have been tackling the small extremely numerous lines of the upper most yards on my GR build.

Your work inspires.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

40 minutes ago, druxey said:

Must be hard to keep track of which belays where without one line fouling another.

Your not kidding. I am going to have to get your books  Ed just to understand all of it.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Thanks everyone, for the likes and comments.

A lot of lines, Druxey - and no studdingsail rigging - 100 or so lines wisely left off.  There is more than enough opportunity for fouled lines, and many have been run more than once - especially as we move skyward.  The fairleads in the top and on the shrouds help a lot, but that does mean if a line has to be rerun it must be pulled back through the fairleads, rerouted and threaded through them again - tweezer work.  Getting through the upper shrouds and futtocks in straight runs has also been fun.  So far, the belaying plan has held up, with only a few revisions - to my great relief.  There was a logic to this that could only have evolved over time and by experience.

Micheal, making this understandable in one book will be a challenge for sure.

Ed

No, its much too common an occurrence - more like calm resignation.  Muttering is reserved for things that break.

Hi Ed,

Just catching up after being away for some time. The detail and craftsmanship continues to amaze. One does not realize just how many specialized parts and pieces there are, until seeing your closeups. All the more astonishing how all of this evolved over time, and became more complex, in the latter years of the sailing ships. Fewer crew, more complexity in the machine.

Mark

Keeping track of all those ropes and lines is confusing enough for us readers; yet alone you trying to position and describe them Ed.  You are a better man than me if this does not drive you to drink and voluble utterences  ;) :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks, again, everyone.

Mark, its good to see you back on deck.  Your comments are always well appreciated and the posts on your log always add items and methods of interest.

Pat, the complexity of lines on a ship like this - with 18 square yards - can be a bit daunting and trying to include a maximum number on the model may seem insane.  If you view the ship as a complex machine as well as a thing of beauty - as I do - that is perhaps a reason to go to those lengths.  Describing this for others is a challenge.  So far, the method and information I have settled on for that seems to be working and my use of it for construction will let me hone it for use by others.  I have started to bring this together in initial drafts, but there is still much to do with that - and on the model.

Ed

14 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Keeping track of all those ropes and lines is confusing enough for us readers; yet alone you trying to position and describe them Ed.  You are a better man than me if this does not drive you to drink and voluble utterences  ;) :)

cheers

Pat

Yeah Pat,

there are generally 22~24 buntlines, 4~6 halyards, 2~4 downhauls, 4~8 reef tackle and 10~12 clew lines...and that is just for sail control.

Rob(It's all an organized spider web).

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hey...Ed..

I noticed you didn't include and downhauls on the upper topsail yard.  Is this an oversight or did this feature not appear on the YA...which I believe was typical for all double topsail rigged ships

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Neither.  You may need to look closer, Rob.  They may be seen on the 7th photo in the above post - just barely.  The fore downhaulers are described and shown more clearly in Part 274.  these lines are shackled to the top yard arm band on the lower topsail yard, pass up through blocks on the upper yard arm, run across to the quarter blocks then down to belay on deck.

Ed

3 hours ago, EdT said:

Neither.  You may need to look closer, Rob.  They may be seen on the 7th photo in the above post - just barely.  The fore downhaulers are described and shown more clearly in Part 274.  these lines are shackled to the top yard arm band on the lower topsail yard, pass up through blocks on the upper yard arm, run across to the quarter blocks then down to belay on deck.

Ed

Riiight...I see them now...

In Some pics they are more evident.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Miles and miles and miles of line. What an incredible model...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Part 310 – Some Loose Ends

In moving the main rigging installation forward, some finishing-up work inevitably got bypassed to be done later.  Some of this was for access reasons, some to escape prolonged tedious tasks – for example, the seemingly endless "rattling down."  Sometimes this multiplies the work, as in the first picture, where topgallant ratlines are being lashed after surrounding lines were installed.

1805141876_YA31001.jpg.ef639ed5daa80211d2333b0b0706fa19.jpg

This should have been done earlier, right after the tg crosstrees were installed.  In the picture one of the ratline eyes is being lashed to the forward shroud. Two pairs of tweezers are being used.  The blur in the picture is due to shaky hands.  Use of a paper shield like the one in the next picture, helps avoid lashing down other rigging and helps visualize the work.

792294241_YA31002.jpg.c85f9e28bce976111685ceeef2108a1f.jpg

On these tg shrouds, where the work is obstructed, the second ends were clove-hitched due the difficulty of forming lashed eyes that were used on the lower and topmast ratlines.  In addition to the upper ratlines, those on the lanyards and the futtock shrouds below must also being added.  Fortunately there were no ratlines on the royal shrouds.

The next few pictures show the addition of the jib sheets on the forecastle.  Each of the four jibs has a sheet on either side.  Each sheet reeves through a double pendant middle and seized to the sail's clew cringle.  The standing ends of these sheets are shackled to eyebolts on the rail.  After they pass through bullseyes in the pendants they are belayed on cleats on the forecastle breast rail - with the sheet on the weather side taking the strain of the sail and the lee side slack.  Lacking sails, the eight sheets are simply coiled on the forecastle as shown in the first picture.

2041827476_YA31003.jpg.ee8b31d20f3bddfebdde09717bd8177a.jpg

Coils for the jib downhaulers were also added to the forecastle rail to the right.  These are large coils because the long downhaulers are fully hauled in with no sails.  The next picture shows the "off-site" fabrication of the sheet coils.

1853066029_YA31004.jpg.7c911255cf51b5b314968be0f57052d6.jpg

The lines were first spliced to eyebolt shackle assemblies, then wrapped around the plastic rod, then wetted with diluted glue and slipped off to dry.  As with most of the rope coils on the model, the lengths approximate requirements of the line.  The next picture shows the coils glued to the deck on the starboard side.

324350355_YA31005.jpg.3b5ea6a230a152e64ff53cba67dc87b7.jpg

The two on the right, for the staysail and the inner jib, are 3 1/2" and 3" rope respectively.  Those on the left, for the outer and flying jibs, are 2 ½" rope.

The next picture shows rope coils for the foremast rigging on the port pin rail.

1484721306_YA31006.jpg.8f7b7b973d90e4a5ac0486cc731ded60.jpg

Altogether there are about 60 coils associated with the foremast running rigging – on the port and starboard rails and the fife rails – excluding those for the yard braces and other deferred lines that will be added later.  This picture also illustrates the role of the shroud fairleads in organizing the lines.  I'm sure these also assisted in line identification.

The next picture shows most of the coils on the mizzen spider band, those associated with the rigged lower yards and the spanker.

414537270_YA31007.jpg.e40c4202e8f2ef4ff57f201e4c24cc4f.jpg

Finally, after completing the belaying between the skid beams, the cutter was retrieved from storage and lashed down as shown below.

1377950419_YA31008.jpg.6995f7839bf97b578dc1f510f012c236.jpg

The other cutter will be hung from the quarter davits on the starboard side - later.  I have yet to decide where to place the two lower studdingsail booms lying on the cabin roof in this picture.  Also, lanyards on the last three backstays on each side, like the fore course sheets and tacks at the far right of the photo, have yet to be secured.

Ed

Some loose ends - there most be hundreds ;)

As to the clove-hitch vs. lashed eyes: I used two half-turns for the ends of rat-lines so that they returns on themselves. Kind of simulates the eye without an end sticking out as for the clove-hitch. This arrangement can be adjusted easily also for length.

Not sure you did this for the lower shrouds, but I am putting a piece of card-board behind the shrouds on which the shrouds and the rat-lines are drawn. This allows me to correct for any distortion and misalignment immediately.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Fantastic work Ed...tidy and smartly done rigging.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Ed I am simply lost for words regarding the work you are doing to show all of this rigging, I am not sure that Longridge went this far, and if he did then he would be smiling I'm convinced.

Michael

Awesome work Ed, I don't know how you are keeping track of all those lines

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

What an intense collection of belayed lines! And trying to rattle down those shrouds at this stage of rigging must be a real endurance test. You continue to amaze us, Ed.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you all for these comments and likes.

Wefalck, as you say, placing a bit of card behind the shrouds is most helpful and I have done that where other rigging permits - another good argument for getting the ratlines on early in the process.  When I started on the ratlines, I gritted my teeth and decided to form lashing eyes at each end, recognizing that this would be a major effort - especially at this scale where ratlines are No. 80 cotton (~.007" diam.) thread.  I described the method for this in Part 283.  Other parts describing stages of the ratline work are also described in Parts 213,228, and 240.  Some of the methods evolved as the work  progressed but Part 283 describes the lashing of eyes most clearly.  To my regret, I could not manage this on the fore topgallant shrouds shown in the last part because other rigging denied access for my finger behind the shrouds.  I find this necessary to steady the ratline so the needle can be passed through it to form the eye.  Virtually all the other ratlines have eyes at both ends.  A lesson on sequencing the work.

Michael, thank you.  Longridge has always been my hero.  I believe he did go this far - at least he describes this level in both his books - the first on his Cutty Sark model built in the early 30's and the second on the Victory model that followed.  I cannot recall ever seeing his Cutty Sark, but the book on that model would be an indispensable resource for building that oft-modeled ship - and it was of use to me in designing the Young America rigging.  Harold Underhill, a major source for me, seems to have been a major contributor to The Longridge clipper book.  He did the drawings and perhaps the diagrams in the text.  There is great similarity to his book - and equal level of detail.

All I can say about keeping track of all these lines and avoiding a complete tangle is - one at a time wherever possible, and diligent reliance on the (indispensable) rigging list - and oh yes, frequent breaks from the work.

Thanks again, everyone.

Ed