Young America by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper 1853

On 11/25/2018 at 4:04 AM, dvm27 said:

Five years, Ed? It seems like time flies by, especially as you get older.

I admire your precision with a hand file. My father-in-law was a machinist and told me one of the skills new workers had to manage was achieving perfectly flat surfaces using only a file and both hands. I find that even after years of practice I still chamfer one edge or the other doing this freehand.

filed surface....

Greg,

I can remember my days as an apprentance, when the master was teaching the young guys to file a flat surface to a steel chunk, which also had to be perpendicular to the sides.....

most of us had produced (common) a slight convex surface, whereby the master meant that a real good job would produce a slight koncave surface , because it was possible due to the files shape,  wow !!!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 313 – Mizzen Lower Topsail Truss

I mentioned in the last post my plan to complete all the remaining spars at one go.  That work has been progressing with minimal diversion to other tasks.  Shaping all the remaining yards was described in the last post.  That work passes quickly – unlike fitting of all the ironwork that is the most time-consuming part of the work on the yards.  This post describes an interesting piece of that ironwork found on all three masts - the Howe bracket truss for the lower topsail yard - in this case the last of these, for the mizzen.

The truss bracket pivots on a pin through a boss on the lower topmast cap.  A horizontal bolt on this bracket engages ears fixed to the central yard band.  The truss allows the yard to be rotated around the mast and "topped" to raise one side or the other.  Since it is fixed to the mast cap, the yard cannot be raised or lowered, so the lower topsail is set at fixed size and not able to be reefed.

The first picture shows copper plates cut for the parts of the sling band – and also the drawing detail for the truss assembly.

1817200985_YA31301.jpg.519ed0cddd83f4a71985db8253fbe7c5.jpg

The larger piece will become the ¾" thick band.  The smaller, thicker piece will form the two ears for the bracket bolt.  The band was first fitted around the yard, silver-soldered and stretched to fit tightly around the octagonal center of the yard.  The method I use for making these copper bands was described in earlier posts and will probably be repeated in one of the next posts.  A single U-shaped piece was formed, fit and soldered to the band as shown replaced on the yard in the next picture.

2074094678_YA31302.jpg.522b8dd720f41162330b3142e17ea472.jpg

Making the ears as a single piece facilitates drilling and alignment of the through-bolt holes.  The next picture shows the assembly fitted to a wood strip that will support it for drilling.

1338488159_YA31303.jpg.e86aa60f3cd5655d83df0e5731514cd2.jpg

The diameter of the (5") bracket bolt is being measured in the picture for sizing of the drill bit. This bracket was made earlier with its fore and main counterparts.  In the next picture the piece is held in the vise by the wood strip and a smaller pilot hole has been drilled through both sides of the U-bracket.  The drill bit has been replaced with the larger final bit.

1927724714_YA31304.jpg.f44d7a4bbbc6c649be7301820782371b.jpg

After drilling, the top part of the U-bracket was sawed off with top section joining the two ears held in the vise.

765501030_YA31305.jpg.d5e270d188f5568cf5f54c553b4e50e5.jpg

The wood strip steadies the work for this step and prevents bending of the ears.  The next picture shows the rough truss assembly after removing the excess top piece.

1574245857_YA31306.jpg.f393b04968ec2e037817fc22cb6ea99a.jpg

In the next picture the ears have been rounded and the truss test fit on the mast.

1505866105_YA31307.jpg.2ce077bb290805728856b56905c566c3.jpg

The last step was to add a tight-fitting retaining ring to the end of the bolt and remove the excess length.  The final assembly is shown below.

1695427563_YA31308.jpg.694ac52af978a44cd26039488b36346c.jpg

After this piece is blackened after the rest of the "ironwork" is added to the yard, a drop of CA will keep the retaining ring from slipping off.  The picture also shows the first of the other yard bands added.

Ed

Another fine exemplar Ed; you are really 'ploughing the road for me :)  - much appreciated.

AS stated many times by many modellers - exceptional metal smithing!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you for these comments and likes.  My reference for the adapted design of this fitting was - as with many other details - Harold Underhill's book, Masting and Rigging the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier.  Given that the use this type of truss on Young America was an early application of what became the Howes patent design, there is much uncertainty of the actual configuration.  The photos show the yard at the height of the cap, so this is probably a reasonable design.

Ed

Part 314 – Iron Yard Bands

Some of this may repeat similar descriptions of earlier work.  Making the ironwork for the yards is the most time consuming part of their fabrication – and much of that work is very repetitive.  There are many iron - that is copper - bands to be made and fit to the yards.  Most of these are silver-soldered from .005" to .015" copper strip to approximate band thickness ranging from 3/8" to ¾" actual at 1:72 scale.  The first picture shows strip for a ¾" thick sling band fit around its yard before soldering.

363059182_YA31401.jpg.3fc4f2800516404afcfe668908871f14.jpg

The gap of around 1/32" is intentional, so the band may be stretched after soldering to a tight fit.  No glue is used on these.  Some are drilled for eyebolts and others for pins if extra strength is needed – for example on studdingsail boom irons.  The next picture shows this ring after soldering.

337207749_YA31402.jpg.f46e0c810fe383ff3151d6cde550b421.jpg

The bands has been pushed over the end of a hardwood, tapered mandrel to restore its round shape, stretch it to fit the yard, and for smooth-filing and buffing.  Buffing is shown in the next picture.

2106825388_YA31403.jpg.345c3625d38b38303120e35641d093b6.jpg

All this work is done on the mandrel to avoid marring or smudging the surface of the yard.  Even with this precaution, fitting the bands causes some smudge, so the yards are given a "pre-finish" of wipe-on polyurethane for protection and to facilitate later cleaning.

In the next picture the band has been fit to the center of the yard and is being center-punched for later drilling of the sling eyebolt hole.

1772433792_YA31404.jpg.895bcba1894efa6f3fc6f8faa0c5458d.jpg

In the next picture the saddle for the parral has been glued to the yard over the band.

1432658250_YA31405.jpg.f65122d62c06c7af642e98c64cbf3c7c.jpg

The saddle will then be shaped and its reinforcing bands and copper bolts fitted where these are specified.  Making these bands was described in an earlier post.  The next picture shows a small band being enlarged using a steel tapered scriber.  The enlargement is done on both sides of the band.

431774547_YA31406.jpg.13f161902cc39ea4359bd9b013fa32eb.jpg

The last picture shows a pair of larger yards – mizzen topsail yards – with their bands fitted. 

545474585_YA31407.jpg.81f8032dbde59d8d9d960309bdf47dfc.jpg

The jackstay stanchions have been fitted to the lower topsail yard.  The yard arm bands with the eyebolts will be described in the next post.

All these steps are proceeding concurrently on all the remaining yards – except for the tiny mizzen skysail yard – which is being replaced for the third time due to breakage and has therefore fallen behind in the work.

Ed

Ed,

Great descriptions of the process.

Question, (I apologize if you mentioned this earlier but with the large thread it would be impossible to find it)

For you soldering work of the copper or brass, what flux and solder do you use?  I’m assuming you don’t use “Staybrite” solder.  Is it some kind of paste so you can control the quantity and location with small parts?  Soldering iron or mini torch?  A bit of a tutorial would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Sorry referring to a mishap, but the broken sky-sail yard made me think again of a question I wanted to ask for a while: what is the smallest diameter yard you think you can produce in this way.

I have been rather wary of breaking wooden yards and masts and started to make them from steel rod with turned-on bands - works well, but drilling for the eye-bolts is difficult. Brass drills more easily, of course, but is not really stiff enough. However, your successes make me re-think ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has reacted or commented on the post.  Let me address the questions:

Dowmer, I use silver-soldering, exclusively, for the copper and brass work on the model.  This is a high temperature process with flow temperatures in the 1200F to 1450F range, depending on the composition, primarily the silver content, of the solder.  It is really brazing.   I use a butane or propane torch - necessary for these temperatures.  I use a low silver, phosphorus copper solder (1325F) for most of my work, mainly because it blackens consistently with the copper using liver of sulfur solution.  The solder I use comes in a syringe of paste that includes solder and flux.  Very small amounts may be dispensed and placed accurately.  Here is a link to my supplier:

https://contenti.com/jewelry-soldering-supplies/solder/phos-copper-solder-paste

There are some other descriptions of the methods I have used in earlier posts and the books go into considerable detail on how to do this - at least how I do it.  There are some rules of thumb: Joints must be in contact, silver-solder does not fill voids like soft solder.  Heat control is important - small parts can be incinerated.  Surfaces must be clean.  Post pickling and buffing is necessary.  There is more, of course.  It is a process and there is a learning curve - but it is easily ascended with some practice

Wefalck, the mizzen skysail yard is 5.5" at the center and 2.2" at the yard arm (~.075" and~.03" or ~2mm and ~1mm) at 1:72), so it is quite small.  Fortunately it is not sheaved for sheets at the arms, but it is drilled (.024")for jackstay stanchions (28 gauge copper twisted eyes) and at the center  for a sling eyebolt.  The first one fractured as I was peening the underside of an outer stanchion to secure it in its through-hole in the yard. Risky.  The second one broke as I was bending the  strip for the central band around it.  Again risky - and unnecessary.  Photo below.

_dsc2779.jpg.64acb72831596c8b39d3c8e3320443ef.jpg

I had no problem making these yards from Castello and I believe with care they would have survived and worked quite well.  I expect to make the third, and hopefully final piece, from European boxwood, which is about 1/3 stronger than the tropical Castello substitute.  I forsee no problem if I avoid abusing the piece.  I am actually more concerned about the pole sections of the long, ie single stick, royal masts.  Those are really vulnerable with no supporting rigging.

Ed

One more question if you don't mind Ed. When you put the round band over the octagonal center section of a yard, how do you get the band to fit snug to the faces of the octagon? Thanks.

Hello Ed,

Caught up after a few months and just want you to know that I thoroughly enjoy watching your build and learning on the way.

I have been lurking since the start but refrain from making comments because I know zip about these ships. I just love to watch a jewel appear under your skillful hands.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you Piet and Tom, and thanks to the 10 who have "liked" the picture of my broken yard 😉😊.

Tom, I have used three different methods to solve the problem of getting a round band to fit tightly over the octagon at the center of the yard.  The first is just to push it over and flatten the sides when it is in place, but if very tight, the band may shave the neat corners off to some degree.  Another method is to use small pliers to shape one end of the band then push it over and finish the shaping when it is in place.  In both these methods the band may fit somewhat loosely, allowing it to move, but these central bands usually have top and bottom eyebolts that will keep the band in place.  The best method is to  use a tapered, octagonal mandrel - easily made from hardwood like the round one, using the methods for shaping spars.  This is a good way to practice shaping regular octagons and once made will make the central banding problem much easier.  I adopted this method late in the process - to my regret.  I will look for a picture.

Ed

Unfortunately the broken spar was almost inevitable....as the meat of the spar becomes less but the iron work remains the same.

In their weakened state, with holes drilled through for jackstay eyebolts and in frequency....these slender spars have little in the way of rigidity when forcefully applying copper banding.    I know this feeling myself...regrettable.

If I took a picture every time I broke something or lost something in the hole that is the floor of my shop.....I would have no band width left for actual construction images.

Ed your masterfully crafted YA is nearing her completion and the thrill of watching her come together leaves a giddy feeling.

Wonderful.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I never use emoticons, Druxey, but I attempted it to show my comment on the likes was in jest - a wink and a smile.  All sympathy is appreciated - humor helps as well.

Tom, I dug up a photo showing the octagonal mandrel.  When using this to stretch an octagonal ring, the octagon should be formed on the mandrel before stretching.  Except for the piece on the left, these are all hard maple.  If I anticipated many more years of modeling, I would make these in brass, or perhaps just a harder wood, like box.  Also, the tapers need to be very gradual.  The diameter of the 12" long octagonal mandrel goes from about 3/32" to 3/8" at the large end.  The large one on the right was used for mast rings.

mandrels.jpg.b89982e012d5ba2078c6055b781f8ead.jpg

Thanks Ed. Those mandrels are a nice way to accomplish this. I will have to remember to make some when I have some down time.

Part 315 – More Yard ironwork

So, except for a few parral straps and the unfortunate mizzen skysail yard, all the remaining yards are now made and fitted with their ironwork.  This post describes the final steps in completing those yards.

On the largest yards, the yardarm bands were fit over the arms then drilled for their eyebolts – usually two or three on each.  With the smaller yards, this drilling into the wood weakens the yard arm, so prefabricated bands with soldered-in eyebolts were made for these.  I believe I described some of the fabrication steps in earlier posts, but the first picture shows one of these being drilled.

110779612_YA31501.jpg.e2e0faf47f101a1cb97f06257078a005.jpg

The first two holes were drilled through, and fitted with a pin to help set the piece in the vise with the side holes horizontal - for drilling the third hole.  The copper tube used here was a very tight fit over the arm and was also filed around the outside to reduce its thickness.  The next picture shows two eyebolts set into a tube with solder paste applied.

2112400474_YA31502.jpg.0b3716abe7d4a973c4852b5827976b4e.jpg

After soldering, the bolt excess on the inside was removed out with an abrasive bit and a round file.  The tube was then set in the vise to saw off the band.

1420825340_YA31503.jpg.e914bbdc5036a35b1becd7dfbbe5e6c2.jpg

The band is held with pliers to prevent its flying or dropping to the floor when it is parted.  Searching for these small, dropped parts is a major annoyance.  A better method for this is to insert a length of wire into the tube above the saw blade when it is almost cut through to retain the loose piece.  The next, rather poor photo, shows one of the smallest of these bands fit to its yard.

1416205179_YA31504.jpg.544b31cb2b0fab4c6c765e896f3bfe49.jpg

This is a tight fit.  The sheave in this yard remains to be carved out.

The lower, upper topsail, and topgallant yards on the fore and main masts carry studdingsail booms for the top, topgallant and royal studdingsails, respectively.  In this final set of yards only the main topgallant required these.  The fabrication of the gear was described in an earlier post, but a few pictures of the work on the last of these is shown below.  In the first picture the strap that reinforces the yardarm is being filed out of a copper strip.

722167466_YA31505.jpg.b9441233ceae1efca65a9b1c8cc66a2b.jpg

This is then bent to fit around the arm and the legs clipped to size.

1324769380_YA31506.jpg.38b7cda73d9462626aed3595dc14d39c.jpg

The bands are then held entirely by tight-fitting rings pushed over the end of the yard.  The rings shown were cut from tube, then stretched with the small steel mandrel for a tight fit.  The next picture of an earlier yard shows the band assembly and the other boom gear.

1324761210_YA31507.jpg.3de2ed79e4fbad956ef131e6d3612f94.jpg

The main topgallant yard with all it major ironwork is shown in the next picture.

1358133899_YA31508.jpg.1d5f2c381bd135289df95d39a5378a8d.jpg

At this stage the jackstay stanchions – 28 gauge twisted copper wire eyes – were pushed into the holes previously drilled in the yards.  The tightness of the fit in the .024" holes has proved sufficient, except on the small diameter yards where some additional holding power is needed.  To avoid interfering with blackening, no glue has been used on the yards.  The next picture shows the stanchions on a small yard pushed through, clipped off, and then peened on the underside.

127393520_YA31509.jpg.ecf5ad0a2330cd00d90e195c4ff9809f.jpg

In this step the pliers hold the eye of the stanchion and act as an anvil for the light tapping of the hammer. No, this is not how the mizzen skysail yard was broken.  With these installed, the ironwork on the yards was blackened and the remaining minor fittings added.  The final set of yards is shown in the next picture.

1656189068_YA31510.jpg.c53376bf9bccbe61fc38523eb7025073.jpg

The ironwork was blackened with liver of sulfur solution brushed liberally over the yard, followed by progressive rinsing under a cold water tap.  When thoroughly dry, the blackened brass jackstays were pushed through the stanchions. Other inserted eyes and the sheet blocks were then glued in with CA and a light final finish of wipe-on polyurethane applied over wood and metal.   In the picture the lower three yards are the main topgallant, royal and skysail yards.  Those above are the mizzen yards from the upper topsail to the royal.  These yards are now ready to be rigged and mounted.

Ed

Amazing work as usual Ed well done

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Those are some crazy (in a good sense) detailed yards you've lined up there.

Always impressive work Ed, always.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Oh come on Ed, those are real yards treated in photoshop aren't they?....?  

very clean, crisp metal and wood work.

cheers

Pat

Thanks for all these comments on the yards, everyone - and the likes, of course.  You get a lot of practice making these on this model.  Except for that last mizzen sky yard, all this should now be finished, and along with it the last of the woodwork on the model.  That I regret.  There something relaxing about shaping wood after fussing with small metal parts and rope.

Have a great holiday, everyone.  I guess we will re-connect in the new year.

Ed

Seasons greetings to you also Ed, thanks for another informative year.

regards

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful work, Ed. It is always hard to imagine, when looking at a finished model, just how much time and thinking went into it. Your posts tell that story exceptionally well.

Mark

Thank you all for these comments and seasons greetings.  Andre, if you were able to wade through all the posts, you have my admiration, to say nothing of thanks.

Its been a while since the last post, not because I am laying down on the job, but there has not been much interesting to show, unless you want to count ratlines.  A couple hours a day "rattling down" is about my limit.  I am starting to rig the yards shown in the last post and I will try to get some pictures of those posted soon.

Ed

Thanks for the update Ed....will be patiently awaiting your new images install.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Part 316 – Rigging Continued

It has been more than a month since the last post, but work has been progressing.  Most of it is not too photo-worthy, however.  How many pictures of ratlines would be of interest?  The last picture in the last post showed the upper yards for the main and mizzen masts with their ironwork completed.  In the first picture below, some of these are shown with footropes added. 

1047498118_YA31601.jpg.53235ec182ecc81e34e417a3e4634142.jpg

The two on the left are the main royal and skysail yards.  The three on the right are the mizzen lower topsail, topgallant and royal.  The mizzen upper topsail seems to be AWOL someplace.  I have still not made the broken mizzen sky yard.   In the next picture the mizzen lower topsail is having a test fit on the mast.

2069144557_YA31602.jpg.7fe1fc2289e858136e4ddcd37d18fdf0.jpg 

In this picture the pivot arm of the mizzen lower yard truss has just been replaced – note the bright copper retaining ring - after the pin through the yoke broke while I was rattling the topmast shrouds.  The broken copper wire pin was replaced with stronger brass.  This was some tricky work to do in place. 

Not shown above is the main topgallant yard, which has now been erected and shown in the next picture.

28178534_YA31603.jpg.fada6dc1eae5226c60565270f2fa0608.jpg 

The royal sheets that pass through the iron sheet block under the center of this have been run and belayed below.  The topgallant clew lines have been coupled to the sheet chains and also belayed.  These four lines serve to pull the yard downward.  However, I notice in this picture that those lines have relaxed tension on the port upper topsail standing lift, so some adjustment will be needed to straighten that out.  This is a normal part of the rigging process and is time consuming.

The last two pictures illustrate the problem of humidity changes discussed in some earlier posts.  The first picture shows the port main sail bowline as it has gone slack since the weather has turned cold – causing a drop in humidity.

1908225752_YA31604.jpg.a0fb61b456034ffa33c4078597eb3a78.jpg 

These were installed in the early, warmer, more humid fall.  The next picture, without moving the camera, was taken less than one minute after wetting the line with clear water. 

1867584883_YA31605.jpg.1c605667132a1e6c486b8a822c1d9adf.jpg 

The slack is completely gone.  The 3" line is long staple, crochet cotton, size 40.  It will sag again when dry.  This occurs mainly on long lines, cotton and linen.  I am testing treating the lines with some dilute polymer emulsion, either PVA or acrylic, to provide some moisture resistance and minimize this effect.  Stay tuned.

Ed

Nice run down Ed.  Thanks for the update post.  Perfect with the morning coffee.

On your bowline sag with humidity, this might be heresy but I like the catenary sag.  It looks more realistic than everything music string tight. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig