CA glue extender tips question

Does anyone have any advice on how to fit these onto normal CA glue bottles? I tried the other day and it worked ok until the damn thing popped off and nearly dumped a good chunk of CA on my boat deck.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Hi cdogg

I assume you mean the Zap extenders.I use these all the time and have found that they only fit properly on Zap bottles.When I get a new bottle of glue I fit one straight away and discard the top.It is vital that the extender goes all the way down to the little collar or it will pop off.They are extremely tight which is why its not a good idea to try and fit one to a part used bottle with a scruffy top.The glue never goes off as the tip seals right at the end with remaining glue.I simple cut 2mm off the end to remove the dried glue.When the tip gets too short as you get down the widening part I replace the tip.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I bought a bag of both extenders and replacement tips.  Here are generic photos;  I am trying to get these two to work but they are not the same brand but look the same.

post-5087-0-86117300-1378243313.jpg

post-5087-0-58931600-1378243318.jpg

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Thanks for the feedback Nigel, I added the pictures to show the two types of applicators I am dealing with.

@Tom, I read that soaking the extender tip in Acetone with clear it up?  True or better trimming it or throwing away?

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Casey

as an American living in the 21st Century I don't like waiting on anything....I stand in front of the microwave yelling "hurry up",  :angry:  so I don't like "soaking " anything for a period of time, except for planks as needed on bluff bows.

I try to avoid the need to clean the extender by applying a little preventive maintenance and clearing the extender with air as described.  However when I get a little lax and forget, then I chop off an 1/8th on an inch or so and move on.

Tom

I have been able to make these extenders fit by using a lighter and reshaping them.  All they are is teflon tubing.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Yes, acetone will clean out the tips but it does take a while.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Tom I will try that technique.Only thing is the sealed end stops the glue going off in the bottle.Maybe keep it clear while working and leave it blocked when I stop work for any length of time.As regards the tips in the pictures I can't really say as I only use Zap cyano.I did once try and fit a Zap extender onto a different makers bottle and nearly had the big spill you mention.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I swear by these to apply my CA. I dont attach them to the bottle instad I put some CA on wax paper syphon a little up and apply to my work. If its wood it will draw it out of the tip, other materials I blow gently into the opposite end. My wife says I look like a crack head doing this but it works great and I dont get CA everwhere just where its needed. 

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Sport, that's a great technique! Thanks!

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Yes. Acetone will dissolve all traces of dried CA. It takes sometime. So I just let my parts to be cleaned in a tightly capped glass jar when I go to sleep. Next morning they are pristine clean and I don't feel "I had to wait" any length of time. ;)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!