Choosing a miller

Hi all,

I have had formal training in the use of various machine tools when I was younger,but this was to machine larger steel and cast iron components.My difficulty is choosing an appropriate mill for model work.This is mainly down to not knowing what rpm I should be running for using milling cutters down to 1mm dia.The machine will almost solely used for wood.My thoughts are the cutters of this size is that the rpm should be very high.Looking at the Proxxon range,their smallest miller runs up to 20,000 rpm whilst the larger models only run up to 2500rpm.Am I correct in thinking that 2500 rpm is way too slow to run these small cutters and will result in cutter breakage?

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I bought the larger MicroMark mill and spent another ?? on a gearing and bearing package to bring the speed up to 5,000 RPM.  I had to have a machine shop do the install.   My understanding is the Sherline needs a gearing package as well.  2500 is way too slow for wood.

Maury

Thanks guys.It was the MF70 I was looking at.I think in this case that biggest isn't necessarily the best.It is a bonus that it is cheap in comparison,but it's more about the right tool for what I want.

Kind Regards Nigel

I bought the small MicroMark mill.  http://www.micromark.com/microlux-micro-milling-machine,9683.html   Then modified the pulleys to get about 12,000 rpm at the spindle.  Cost of the mod:  $0 but it killed the warranty. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark,there is a similar miller available in the UK,but is nearly twice the price of the Proxxon.Living in the UK means the proxxon would be the ideal choice as I have almost immediate spares backup.I wanted to avoid ordering anything from overseas for this very reason.

Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I'am using my MF70 for several applications and I'am always very happy with the results and handling. Even though I have a bigger drill and milling machine mostly the smaller Proxxon fits better for the Job. I would say the Proxxon is the right choice for what we are using it for.

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

Le Coureur 1776 - CAFmodel 1/48

VOC Retourship Batavia

Boston Typhoon steam trawler 1/32

Research/Side Projects/On Hold:

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Thank you very much Edward.I was prepared to but the larger Proxxon machine,but I now feel this would be of limited use.The machine will be mostly used for deck fittings and the odd small size housing joint.I get the impression the larger Proxxons are more geared to model engineering applications.MF70 is definitely the way to go.May I ask if you know whether there is adequate space on this machine to fit proxxon's dividing table?

Kind Regards Nigel

Yes Nigel, the dividing table fits perfectly in either direction as well as vertically or horizontally into the table slots. Additionally I'am using a homemade jig to sand or profile  the stripwood.

post-746-0-40066200-1378299681_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-33560200-1378299721_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

Le Coureur 1776 - CAFmodel 1/48

VOC Retourship Batavia

Boston Typhoon steam trawler 1/32

Research/Side Projects/On Hold:

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

• 2 months later...

This is a picture of my Proxxon mill

attachicon.gifHMS Sussex 1693 028.jpg

mij

MIJ,

I am researching various mills for purchase.  I noticed your set up and was wondering what advantages, or disadvantages it might have when compared to the Proxxon MF70 Mill.  It would seem to be more expensive than the MF70 once you acquire similar attachments. I would appreciate any thoughts you, or others, might have.

Thanks,

Richard T.

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Hej Richard,

I’m  a lucky man and own both setups (the MF70  & the BFW 40/E and the table setup as shown by MIJ)  :)

So hereby my findings for both setups.. 

I started off with the MF70 and I’m very, very satisfied  with this product

Pro.

-It comes with an compound table and the “head” also moves down & up  via an spindle and it is good for accurate router tasks.

-It is also very good for small router bits and harder materials as the speed can varied between 5.000 - 20.000 rpm

-Collets and a three-jaw drill chuck can be used

-Is a small machine

Con.

-The “spindles” on the compound table (200x70mm) are small and therefore I use the spindle itself for accurate movements and not the handles

-It is a time consuming machine for drill tasks as the vertical movement only can be operated by an (small) spindle

-It can’t be used for “tilted” drill/router tasks 

As for the other setup..

I was actually looking for an drill-press but instead my attention focused on this BFW 40/E setup (contains BFB 2000, KT 150 and BFW 40/E) ..  

Con.

-The total setup is more expensive (but I must admit it is worth the extra money)

-Needs a separate power supply

-Less rpm’s than the MF70 (900-6.000 rpm)

-Only collets can be used

Pro.

-The compound table (200x200mm) can be bought separately/later, the spindles are more accurate, can move very fast and the handles are usable  

-The head can be tilted, so angled tasks are no problem

-The setup is Multi-functional (via an lever the head can be switched into a “router/static” or “drill-press/lever” mode)

-The motor-unit (BFW 40/E) is very, very, very quiet…   

-It can also handle “big” work pieces 

Best wishes, Theo

Current Project:

Santisima Trinidad -> Build log

Finished Projects:

Smit Rotterdam -> Gallery

Well, now that everyone is cheering for the Proxxon, I feel kinda bad about having bought the MicroMark instead.  It's not as small, but my hope is that it will be as reliable and versatile -- it tilts.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin,

I am not sure everyone is on the Proxxon wagon.  I have read post by builders who have bought Micromark in the forum "Modeling Tools and Workshop Equipment //Milling Machine".  

Perhaps Proxxon is just a bigger company with wider distribution, especially worldwide, so there are more machines out there.  Without hearing from other MM owners it's hard to say.

Either way, I would not feel too bad.  if nothing else, what I hear most is it is how you use it that makes the differences.  All of them will do the job.

Richard T

Edited by rtropp

Richard

Perhaps Proxxon is just a bigger company with wider distribution, especially worldwide, 

That's the situation for me. There are lots of manufacturers out there that don't market their tools in Turkey. In addition, shipping costs and customs duties can more than double the price. 

It seems that in the USA there's no problem in sourcing tools, any type of wood you want or whatever. It's slowly getting better here but we're a long way behind. 

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Do understand that even though I said what I said in the post above, I am an owner of a Sherline CNC Mill and Lathe and will stand by that company all the way. I just like Proxxon better than Micro Mark. I have 3 or 4 tools by Proxxon and they are good. But for a Mill I have to go with Sherline any day. This is my option only, everyone has there likes and dislikes about anything and that is there choice.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

As Joe says I think a lot falls down to personal preference,there are pluses and minuses to every machine.The deciding factor for me was next day spares backup with the proxxon.Had I lived in the states my choice might have been different.

Kind Regards Nigel

I can't really consider micro mark electric tools due to voltage etc - Europeans would be in the same boat. Proxxon markets worldwide with the appropriate voltage configuration. Many times I would have liked to buy USA tools - mainly due to the price and variety available but then I would need to run a proper transformer it's not usually the case that a differently configured plug will do the job. So I don't have anything at all against mm or other tools available in USA it's just not a viable option for me

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Meredith,

There in is a big problem, especially when we talk power tools on a world wide forum.   Shipping, customs, even ability to pay via credit card, etc. are just the surface issues.  Power conversion is often not thought about.  Some use 50 Hz, other use 60 Hz.  The mains voltages are different. 

A transformer might work, but ultimately it can cause problems with the frequency is different.  A US designed motor is for 60 Hz.  At 50 Hz it will run slower and often hotter due to loading, etc.  Go the other way, and the motor runs faster and can have mechanical issues as it will spin above the design rating.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have a questions about chucks.

The Proxxon seems to have the type of chuck (collet??) you would find on a drill. The Sherline or MicroMark have a different chuck (end mill holder??).

Is there an impact on performance or operation? Does it create any limitations?

Thank You

RT

Richard

The Micromarks have two types available.  One is a chuck like you'd find on a drill press.  The other is for collets.  Collets come in fixed sizes and run truer than then a chuck.  The chuck takes an infinite amount of sizes.  Both have their uses and on the MM, they are easily swapped.

I can't answer about the Sherline or any other brand (except for the ones out of China's Central Machine) but I suspect they the same options. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The small Proxxon only works with the collets supplied to take a maximum shank size of 3.2mm.It comes with six different sizes upto and including this.This covers the Proxxon milling bits specific for this machine and will take the Dremel bits.You wouldn't want to go much bigger than the 3mm proxxon make for this machine,as I have tried it with the large dremel milling bit and causes the wood to burn slightly due to too high a cutting speed.

Kind Regards Nigel