Dan Vadas

Before you post your build log please read this - Starting and naming your build log

Zoltan, you can't add PAGES - that's done automatically after there are 20 Posts on a Page.

If you are asking how to add another Post to your Build Log, use the Reply window at the bottom of the page. This adds a new post after the ones you have already made.

:cheers:  Danny

I started a build log but neglected to add the scale. Is there a way I can edit the title?

Thanks

Corey

I started a build log but neglected to add the scale. Is there a way I can edit the title?

Thanks

Corey

Yep, just edit your original (1st) post, once it is in 'edit' mode, at the bottom click on "Use Full Editor".  In the full editor the top is open for editing as well as the body of the subject.

I'm a relatively new member, and I'm half way through a kit build. Am i permitted to start a build log for this model?

Walt

I'm a relatively new member, and I'm half way through a kit build. Am i permitted to start a build log for this model?

Walt

Yes, by all means Walt. Welcome aboard.

:cheers:  Danny

When adding the name of your kit's manufacturer, please refrain from using abbreviations. We old-timers know who AL, MS, and CC are, but newcomers may not.

Thank you!

UPDATED  TITLE GUIDELINES plus The Many Pitfalls of Build Log Titling :)

As stated in the title of this post, the guidelines for titling build logs have been updated. See Post #1 in this thread for the latest format (not significantly different from the previous format, just fine-tuned). Please be diligent about using the correct format! The functionality of our search feature depends on it.

As I stated in another thread, I recently combed through all the build logs in the Kit Build Logs section. I edited a large number of build log titles. Some of them were verrrrrrry close to being in the correct format, but not quite. I don't mind fixing those -- I appreciate that a good effort was made by the author. Other titles were correct according to the previous format; I have updated those to the new format. Again, no problem. The only ones that truly bug me are the ones where it doesn't appear that the author made any attempt to either read or follow the titling guidelines.

Here are a few things I saw in titles that need a little bit of tweaking (listed in no particular order):

1) Please don't use abbreviations for names of kit manufacturers, e.g. AL, MS, etc. Spell the name of the company out. Remember, our search function can't search character strings of three letters or less.

2) If you know the year your modeling subject was launched, the usual convention is to place the year right after the name, e.g. HMS Prince 1670. Don't put the year way down at the end of the title.

3) Make sure you get the name of the kit manufacturer correct. OcCre, for example, does have a capital C in the middle -- it's short for Ocio Creativo. There's two companies in particular that cause some confusion because they are wholly owned subsidiaries. One, Victory Models, is a subsidiary of Amati -- their models should be identified as Victory Models products. The other is Caldercraft -- their parent company is JoTiKa. JoTiKa, however, carries many product lines other than Caldercraft, so if it says Caldercraft (or Nelson's Navy), it should be listed as a Caldercraft model.

4) The only punctuation you really need is hyphens. Periods, parentheses, etc. just make the title look cluttered. So remember, it's name of model and username (hyphen) manufacturer (hyphen) scale (hyphen) miscellaneous details. Like this:

HMS Scallywag 1750 by billyruffian - Moldy Models - 1/1200 - an adventure in miniature

5) You need to ALWAYS identify yourself in your build log title by your username. Spell and punctuate your username EXACTLY as it is registered.

If I remember anything else, I'll add it to this list, but for now I'm being chased away from my computer.

Cheers!

UPDATE: Since I made this post three days ago, two new kit build logs were started and NEITHER of them did the title correctly! Please read the directions!

Small boats are also in big ship logs. The last page of my Vanguard log is about building the ship's 4 boats. These little dudes are a big challenge working on something you hold in your hand. Link in my signature line if you're interested

A reminder -- if your topic title has been edited by a moderator, please do not change it back to the original! Thank you!

Giving this topic a bump AGAIN after yet another egregious spell of non-compliance. Guys, I edit the titles to comply with guidelines because I appreciate the forum and want it be functional and look nice, not because I enjoy cleaning up after your messes. Read the first post in this thread and get it right!

I edited 10 titles today. Please read the guidelines. Also, please do not add tags to your title by using the green "item prefix button" -- we prefer to limit that function to staff for identifying high-priority topics. You may add topic tags to your posts, though.

EDIT: Make that 11. :angry: Does anybody read these announcements??

Thank you!

Edited by ccoyle
sheer unbridled frustration

Hello, gang!

We have had a lot of new members added recently and a lot of new build logs started (yea!!), which means it is time to post a reminder about writing build log titles. If you are new here or just need a reminder, please read the first post in this thread.

Thank you!

P.S. Just a note -- back in the day (as they say), the Scratch Build log titles were not given the same thorough going-over as the Kit Builds received. I have been editing Scratch Build titles, if needed, as they crop up in my content feed. So if you have a log that goes back to, like, forever, and you notice that suddenly its title has been edited -- that's why.

Quick question. I added “Finished” to the title of my Albatros build a while ago but on the index the green “Finished” status does not appear. Is that something the moderators are doing or is it something I should have done. When I search other build logs many times I only focus on finished logs. Not sure if I have been missing some of this feature is not current.

thanks

Barry, it's something I have to do manually. The number of actual "Finished" logs in the Index is by no means accurate, and depend on the builder editing their Build Log title and notifying me as well. There are most likely a LOT of finished logs out there that haven't been marked as such because I'm simply unaware of their status.

Danny