Dan Vad

Builders of SMALL BOATS - Please Read This

We have had a few requests from builders of Small Craft to categorize their Build Logs to make finding similar vessels easier using the Advanced Search function.

The solution is to have the word "SMALL" in the Build Log Title, then you could Search for all the small builds like you can for PLASTIC, CARD, BOTTLE and RADIO by simply Searching for the word SMALL in the Title using Advanced Search.

Unfortunately it would mean a LOT of work by the Moderators to find and rename all the Small Craft build logs already in place (and even new ones), especially those that haven't named their Build Logs clearly, or some of the more obscure vessels we are unfamiliar with.

There's nothing stopping those builders who would like their boat categorized in this way from renaming THEIR OWN build logs with the word SMALL in it. Place the word AFTER the name of the vessel, builder's name and Kit Manufacturer as in this example :

Lobster Smack by Joe Bloggs - Midwest - SMALL

Note that there must be Spaces in the positions as shown, or the Search won't find it properly.

You need to go to the FIRST POST of your build log, click on the Edit Button and then on the "Use Full Editor" Button. This brings up the Edit Box with your Title in it. Edit the title and click the "Submit" button.

SkerryAmp, Eddie, jml1083 and 3 others like this

I think you will need to come up with a definition of what will constitute a "small boat" or you may cause more confusion. Everyone knows a "small boat" when they see one but at the larger sizes your going to get into a grey area. For instance a cutter is pretty small but I wouldn't call it a small boat. Maybe you could come up with a given scale overall length? Presumably an open boat- something with no deck- could be the criteria but then you get viking ships in there. Thats my two cents. I tend to look for the definitions of things in a pedantic way but a world devoid of definitions is a chaotic place.

That's a goog question - in Germany the Navy clarified within NATO regulations:

"A boat is a keelbuilded watergoing vessel with less than two continuous decks."

So my proposal is:

"A small boat is a barge, canoe, (falt)boat or other swimmig vessel without any continuouse deck."

What do you think about this?

We don't discriminate anybody - even the fans of Zoadiacs®  or assautboats are are represented...

The LCVP's are in this group, too... and the can be from tremendous size builded in 1/12 for RC-tanks :o

Also skiffs, sharpies, catboats, sand baggers, drifters and yawls also the oar-driven small netting yalws belonging the Glouchester Schooners and the whales classical fast boats are within this definition, aren't they?

mtaylor likes this

Hi!
$.02 from a lurker who will be posting soon.
When I hear "small" boats associated with our hobby I literally think size. Before approaching any type of build I have to consider " Will this fit in my office/family room/house (!)."
I'm currently leaning towards builds that are less than @ 20 inches long as they will fit into my office. 

Am I way off base on this?

Has nothing to do with the size of the model.. but the 'type', such as launch, yawl, small fishing boat but not a trawler, etc.  If you're not sure sure, PM a moderator.  We can help.

Nothing to apologize for.  You asked some good questions.  I hope I gave good answers.

Pick a ship that fits your needs as that's primary importance. 

the coast guard characterizes anything under 65' in length as a "small boat", and has no name. Above that length are "cutters" which are named. Confusingly, the old 82 footers, as well as the 87 footers and 110 footers are referred to as "patrol boats", but are named cutters, since they are longer than 65'. For instance hull # WPB 1322 is USCGC Cuttyhunk. W=Coast Guard PB= Patrol Boat        USCGC= United States Coast Guard Cutter   ;) Anyways, I'll use that as a guideline for my build logs

I think the item is being used as, The small is not being in as REAL small builds but in the model world be like the size like a build should have a length of," say "the" Phantom"  like 13 1/2 " or  maybe even with a build is 18"-20" . If I'm not mistaken.  

I think the item is being used as, The small is not being in as REAL small builds but in the model world be like the size like a build should have a length of," say "the" Phantom"  like 13 1/2 " or  maybe even with a build is 18"-20" . If I'm not mistaken.  

Nope, the opposite - it means "Small" as in real life small. Like anything under about 40 or 50 feet (but there is no EXACT limit).

:cheers:  Danny

Doreltomin likes this

I finished the Virginia Swift Pilot Boat for another person.  I spent well over 100 hours re-working the boat.  I will post a picture as soon as I get one. Now I am starting one of my own from a kit.  Will post progress on this one. dgreen10

How would I go about changing the titling of my forum for the Sharpie?

Small boats are also in big ship logs. The last page of my Vanguard log is about building the ship's 4 boats. These little dudes are a big challenge working on something you hold in your hand. Link in my signature line if you're interested

mtaylor likes this