Chuck

A Primer on Planking by David Antscherl

This is an excellent article.  I had the pleasure of attending one of his and Greg's workshops years ago where this was one of the topics covered.  David is a super nice individual that is most willing to help another ship modeler improve their skills.  If you ever get the chance to attend one of the Admiraliy Models Workshops, please do not pass up the opportunity.

donrobinson, Jack12477 and jml1083 like this

I  bookmarked this article for later. I just got the MS Fair American. The BH and Centerkeel plan sheet shows templates of how much and where the 16 BHs should be beveled. I do not know how to translate those templates into cuts with my X-acto. Is there a place to go that can help me? Incidentally, I just completed Phantom using your Pradticum. It took 7 months, but I'm proud of the results.  Thanks much!

donrobinson likes this

Ed at Wycliffe: It is almost impossible to bevel accurately from the drawings you have. Once your framework is all properly set up, you should bevel the bulkheads using sanding sticks until the edges of each bulkhead are just nicely angled. Sanding sticks are easily made from lengths of flexible wood. Attach the sandpaper with either rubber cement (which is better, as you can strip off used paper and replace it) or white glue. Check that everything is fair with thin flexible battens to ensure that there are no low spots or 'wavyness' anywhere along the hull.

WackoWolf and donrobinson like this

Chuck the article is listed on the downloads but there in no link for the download of David's article. is this the same as the one that was in the perodical for Warships to workboats 2005? I put a copy in my shopnotes binder then along with some planking fans

donrobinson likes this

Guy:

The link is the pdf symbol on the left. I just tried it and it worked for me.

Russ

donrobinson likes this

Thanks, down loaded the pdf, I'll study it more when I have more time. Looks to be an interesting read.

donrobinson likes this

Chuck, in the MSW list of PDFs (each with the PDF symbol to the left), there is nor a PDF symbol to the left of the listing to David's planking tutorial. Since others have downloaded the article, I need a hint. Thanks much.

JUAN and donrobinson like this

Thanks Chuck and Greg. The PDF is in fact there (Admiral's magic) I've got it now from both places.

Ok I see! because the PDF symbol/link was not straight across I assumed it was the one for the planking fan. It is the same article that was in Warships to Workboats

Guy:

The link is the pdf symbol on the left. I just tried it and it worked for me.

Russ

Dodger and donrobinson like this

Chuck,

I was going to try lining out planks using your tape method and can find it no where.  Do you recall where you got it?

donrobinson and edmay like this

Steve,

You can go the pretty way rather than direct by going to the top of this page where in the header to the right of "NRG's MODEL SHIP WORLD" you will see "The Nautical Research Guild Home Page". Clicking on that brings up a page with "The Nautical Research Guild" in the title line. Just below the title three quarters of the way across you will find "Ship Modeling Resources". Click on that and you will get another NRG page. Below the titles are four rectangular boxes with red borders each containing a picture. The top left one has a photo of a partially made ship's stem and some tools. Below this picture is "Ship Modeling Database of articles". Click on that and you have arrived. The advantage of going the long way around is that you will see plenty of links to some very interesting stuff on the way. :)

donrobinson likes this

JanetB

After destroying my latest kit (HMS Supply)by trying to plank my first Caldercraft kit i got around to reading the article by David Antscherl on simple planking of model boat  hull/s.

Well i found it very informative and i realized if i had took the time to read it prior to attacking the kit as i did i could have saved myself the cost of purchasing a replacement kit.

i thought it was a very good article and i now realize it is not just a matter of just sticking strips of wood to the hull in just any old way,my thanks to David.

Canute, AON, donrobinson and 3 others like this

Obviously I'm years late to the party, but thanks so much for this article. I've only built on ship, the Swift, and although I learned a lot, this primer shows the solutions to many of the key problems that evaded me. Thanks for all your hard work - not just the advice but the excellent presentation.