HMS Agamemnon by Sjors - FINISHED - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1:64

Thanks for the comment Mobbsie on the glue.  That thick CA is easy to handle and doesn't get all over the place.....and it IS strong.  Looks like Sjors will have clear sailing!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looking pretty good Sjors.  I agree with Popeye but in case you make your rivet impressions just omit the sides that'll be covered with the next plate.  Oh, I understand that this getting nit-picky but it's just a thought.  In the overall scheme of things your coppering job will look just marvelous.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Good start Sjors, I know exactly where you are.  One thing to mention just in case.  The plates pick up finger prints easily which are not that noticeable, however, by the time you're done with coppering, they will likley have started to patina much faster than the clean one, guessing the acids in skin oils.  Its easy enough to clean off with a cleaner/polish (which will of course then patina again), but if you want to keep the look a gentle wipe down after each build session could remove the need for that.

One other point, as mentioned above, when you come to doing a gore line, flattening the nails can help the plates overlap a little more cleanly and avoid you having small gaps between the plates.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you all for the tips and trucs and the likes !

It seems I'll be on the right teach with those plates......

I have removed some plates and re-place them because it was not what I want to see......

Mobbsie told me that he has about 600 plates as left overs from his build, so I can continue with removing and re-placing  :D  :D  :D  :D

If I'm to short of plates, he will send me his spare ones....Thanks for that Mobbsie !!!!!!!

@ Mobbsie,

Yes, I have not forget the brush handle.

Yes, I know the plates are thin.

Yes, I know that it is the first time for me.

Yes. I say Hi to Anja.

Yes, I'm enjoy the build.

Yes, I'll be careful with sharp knifes.

Yes, I'll be good.

Yes, Pffffffff

@ Wayne,

Thanks !!!!

By the time I'll be finished with the copperplates, someone else has finished two models...... :D  :D

I can not help you with the copperplates because I'm to busy with other stuff.

Sending the rigging Gnomes to Kevin,

Making a new cover for the front door from bearskin for Augie's cave before the winter begins.... :P

Go to Grant to see his Victory in real and make a road trip on that highway that is 1000 kn long in a straight line !

Take lessons from Sherry !

SORRY ......

@ Popeye,

Thanks also !

I will keep an eye on the rivets....

And I thought that it will be around 1700 plates.....

@ Frank,

At the end it looks like making ratlines  :D

I love that also !

@ Neptune,

Thanks !!!!

@ Grant,

I shall take an abacus and let you know how many there are at the end.....

@ Mark,

Don't jump to hard !

And please ,can someone taking a video-clip of Popeye and Mark with there Pom-Poms and making a hand stand with that ????

That will be the you tube hit of the year !!!!!

@ Sam,

I have to cut the plates just like if they are wooden planks !

@ Jason,

Thanks for the help !!!!!

I shall wipe the place after I place them.....

And with the goreline, I will take a look at that !

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

An update and not a nice one  :(  :(

No pictures because it is no use to take pictures of a demolition.......

Yep, when I got home from my work this afternoon I take a good look at the 4 rows that I have make all ready.

And I don't like it at all !

There are bumps ( fragile plates ) and some of them has an opening........

I know it is at the bottom and when she is on the cradle, you don't see it but I know it.

And that's for me enough.

So I remove all 4 rows and have to start all over again.......

But isn't it all about building ?

Re-do things all the time when it is not good ?

So Mobbsie, i think I need your spare plates...... ;)

Sjors

Yep, great decision Sjors! It shows how far we've come as modellers when we can make these re-do decisions that easily. If you know in your heart that you won't be happy with it, then re-do now rather than regret later. Good for you. Now, my advice is SDH (Start Drinking Heavily)!!!! :P :P :P

I'm sorry, Sjors....but if you're not happy with it, now is the time to re-do.  Have some Aquavite and relax!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sad news Sjors, I really feel for you - - - I know from personal experience.  So, why should I be the only one who must do frequent re-do's, eh?   ;)  Join the crowd of the redo-ers  :)

The redone plates will be perfect and you'll be a happy camper.  Keep a stiff upper lip my friend but watch out for that scotch, it'll kick you in the hiny when least expected  :P

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

The next meeting of the Re-Doer's Club will be next Thursday at Sjors's house.    :D  Ok.. seriously... you did the right thing.  If you're not happy with it, it will bug you forever.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

sorry to hear of the redo Sjors. you'll get it right.....I know you will!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

We have  all been there.  I have many many times more then I want to admit, but the bottom line is that I am much happier with the redos than the initial do.

Your build is great. I enjoy it very much.

Keep up the nice work,

Mort 

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Sorry Sjors, welcome to my world of re-do's

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Sjors

I admit to lurking in your build logs for a while. You are doing great work.

Getting the flow of the copper plates took me a while too. Mine is a smaller hull but I ripped off many plates on the first go until I got a feel for them. After that it wasn't too hard. Stick with it - they aren't wood but it is interesting to deal with different materials and you soon learn their character. I overlapped my plates to get the lines right but that has some other effects on the look. That said, cutting the plates to the lines would have driven me crazy - overlapping is easier.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

You started fine mate so where did it all go wrong, once you've worked that out you wont make the same mistake again.

A wise decision to remove the offenders and start over, it's a pain in the backside but if your not happy with it it's gotta be done. It's not a job that can be hurried though so just take your time.

As the song says, " PICK YOURSELF UP, DUST YOURSELF OFF AND START ALL OVER AGAIN ". :D

The spare plates are here if you need them, just let me know. :P  :P :P  

By the way "pfffffffffffffffffffff" to you to :D  :D

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Pffffffffffffffffffffff for me and to all of you !

Thanks Guy's for the drinks.....

I'm that drunk at the moment that i get one plate and it looks like 10 :) !

I have re-decorate the house for tonight as I'm expecting a lot of re-do ers.......

Is there also a re-do er of the month ????????

@ Mobbsie ,

What goes wrong.....good question !

If I know that....I know what goes wrong....those plates are so thin......

And ( I think ) I want to do it to quickly !

My mistake ( again )

I have done nothing yet because of work ( every morning out of my bed at 4.15 AM  :(

When I'm building now it went also wrong and I want to do it right this time.

So I hope next week or the other week.

Then I'm off for 1 week ( 9 days without work........)

Sjors

Take your time. The plates are thin but make haste slowly :)

Regards,

Paweł

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Sam,

I suspect it like this:  Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.... or maybe Sjors has a secret power we don't know about?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark knows it  :D  :D  :D

That's why he is a moderator Sam and we are not.......

The first few plates are back on  :D  :D

A few 1000 more and it is finished !!!!!!

Sjors

Sjors -

Here I am, 3 days left in my vacation, and you are preparing for another week off?? I want to work for your company - do they need drivers in Maine?? Pfffffffffffffffff

Good decision on re-doing the copper plates. Will wait (patiently) for the next pictures.

All the best-

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Maybe he can change the days of the week to Sunday1, Sunday2, Sunday3, Friday, Saturday1, Satuday2, Saturday3. Naturally the 8 hours we work on Friday would be compensated at the usual 40 hour rate.

Sam

I like it even if I don't get to go to work anymore.

Mark knows it  :D  :D  :D

That's why he is a moderator Sam and we are not.......

The first few plates are back on  :D  :D

A few 1000 more and it is finished !!!!!!

Sjors

Wait a second Sjors.  Which part do I know... the days or that you have a secret power? :)  :) :)  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Guy's for the coffee when you are visiting my log  :P

@ Wayne,

I work to many hours so I have to be a week off...... ;)

@ Sam ,

Is there a law for to count like you did ????

@ Mark,

Both !

@ Lawrence,

A day or two ?

Why not make it a week or 2 .......

Sjors

@ Sam ,

Is there a law for to count like you did ????

Sjors,

Laws? Who needs laws? I say PPffft! to laws.

I dont know about a law, legal or physical, but sometimes I think my elected officials use similar logic to come up with "decisions" 

How are the gnomes doing with their new task, Sir "Man-O-Leisure?"

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sjors, It's been a while since I checked on your progress. I stop by and what do I see?  Lovely copper plates on the hull and then pffffffffffff, copper plates gone from the hull! And they say women are always wanting change!   :P  :D  :D  :D  :D

Seriously though, I thought the plates looked really good, but I also know that if your not completely satisfied with them, then you'll be glad later on that you changed it and made it better.

Now.......pictures please  :)

Oh, and I'm trying to figure out how I can get one of those 9 day weeks off. :D  :D

Edited by Sherry

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower