Question for USF Connie builders

silverfoxes

I am in the process of building the 1/96 scale Revell plastic USF Constitution.    Many of the internet images of that I have googled (both plastic and wooden)  show some mysterious wooden poles that have been added to the sides of the ship. 

I am referring to what appears to be a scale 40 foot plus round wooden pole suspended horizontally along both sides of the Connies hull, forward and immediately above the cannon ports.  Some models even have four of them, two forward and two aft - again just above the gun ports.    Although they have the appearance of yardarms and are portrayed as having a raw wooden color, I doubt that's their function.    The Revell kit of course makes no provision for this accessory and does not even elude to it.    Why would the USF Constitution have 40 - 50 foot raw wooden poles hanging off its sides? 

Any old time sailors or naval historians out there that can shed some light on this question?  If appropriate, I am thinking of adding on these features- whatever their purpose.   Thanks.

Edited by silverfoxes

Can you point us to a link to see specifically what you're talking about?  I'm with Sam but it's possible you're seeing something else.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Can you point us to a link to see specifically what you're talking about?  I'm with Sam but it's possible you're seeing something else.

mtaylor:

If you go to Google Images, put in "Model of USS Constitution ship", multiple images are brought up.   The very first image on the top left hand side shows a port side view of: "USS Constitution wooden model ship kit (MS2040) by Model Shipways".  It has the intermittent red stripe along its port side.   Click on the image and it will enlarge.   The wooden pole in question is visible just aft of the foremast, tan in color and above the gun ports.  

As previously stated, some examples of this model show as many as four of these poles, two per ship side.

I agree - they may very well be the stud booms.  A good place to store them.   

Those spars are the studding sail booms.  The forward ends have a hook which fits into an eyebolt in the forward part of the channels.  When the lower stuns'ls are rigged the booms are swung out perpendicular to the hull to spread the foot of the stuns'l.  Currently Constitution carries them only on the fore chains.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Ah! Studding sail booms they are then.   Next question:  since I am building a Connie that represents how she looked during her engagement with the Guerriere in August of 1812, would she have carried these sail booms at that time?    Were the studding sail booms a later addition perhaps?

She would have had them at that time, but I doubt they were rigged during the battle.

Russ

I know you've got your answer, but here are some screen clips of the Revell instructions showing the placement of the studding sail booms.  The instructions are in the running rigging, no sails, page 2.

post-308-0-07307000-1379204114.png

post-308-0-78536000-1379204278.png

I painted them "Wood" color as well, because that's what I painted the other boom colors, up on the yards.

Andy.

Edited by AndyMech

I know you've got your answer, but here are some screen clips of the Revell instructions showing the placement of the studding sail booms.  The instructions are in the running rigging, no sails, page 2.

attachicon.gifForwareStuddingBooms.png

attachicon.gif2ndStuddingBooms.png

I painted them "Wood" color as well, because that's what I painted the other boom colors, up on the yards.

Andy.

Andy,

Thanks for the info.  I acquired my Connie off of e-bay and is the H-398 version of the model from the mid seventies.  The assembly and rigging instructions are all torn with holes in them and are even missing some pages!   Guess this is the price you pay for getting a discount on a previously owned model kit.    At any rate, thanks for the update - I now know the proper way to affix the studding booms on my Connie.  :cheers:

You probably know this, but you can download the Connie instructions from the Revell website in PDF form if yours are too corrupt to use easily.

Andy.