Lashings on bobstays & bowsprit shrouds etc.

Tigerdvr

I am working on the rigging of the bowsprit of the MS brig Syren. Can someone please

advise how the lashings between the hearts are secured or terminated.

I have checked through this forum and a number of publications but I can't

find anything showing how the lashings finish.

I would like to complete this as accurately as possible.

Thanks, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

For what its worth, here is a photo I just stumbled across on the web of Niagara's stay lashing. In the photo they started the seizing with a cow hitch holding the middled line above the heart and then took turns around the hearts with the two ends. Or at least that is how it appears to me. Before I saw this photo I would have said they would have finished off the seizing with round frapping turns across the main turns, with hitches to hold them end end the knot but clearly there are no frapping turns here. I see no visible termination on the seizing so I suspect there is some sort of hitch on the underside? Its possible the two ends are seized back to another bit of line underneath and out of view. There is a short splice visible on the outermost portside turn but that is NOT a way to terminate a seizing, I think they just used some old line. I'm too lazy to go look in Lees Masting and Rigging, I am sure he covers this. But seeing something in actual use is worth considering, they do nothing half assed on Niagara.

post-3035-0-47118800-1378950480_thumb.jpg

Edited by JerseyCity Frankie

Niagara USS Constitution 

Thanks Frankie, I just went ahead and jumped into the project and  I think it looks OK. This is my first endeavor

at this level.

Edited by tigerdvr

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Frankie,  perhaps you could look at that lanyard totally the opposite way.  The lanyard starts with an eye splice through the lower heart at the port side and then the end terminates with a cow hitch around the stay and is seized to one of the turns.  Similar to the lanyard for a deadeye.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Interesting, I am at a standstill with my Jefferson Davis because of the same questions. The other oddity is that the plans show a chain from the bowsprit to the keel, apparently because they wanted the extra strength. But they use hearts and a lanyard to put tension on the chain. So I am still wondering why they bothered to use chain, and then weakened it by using rope. 

You could be right Popeye. The short splice I identified could be the eye splice starting the lashing. But I have a hard time believing they would eye splice directly to the lower heart. But the cow hitch at the top, or what looks like a cow hitch could certainly be the end of the lashing- a hitch taken around the upper stay and the end passed back and down and seized to itself. In fact that two legs coming down from the stay above do appear to have three or four seizings holding the two parts together.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Looks like you are right Popeye. here is what Lever has to say on page 40 of Masting and Rigging:  ..."A lanyard was used to haul taught the stay to the collar.....When hearts were used the lanyard was spliced into the upper heart, then rove through alternate hearts, using as many turns as the hearts would allow or until the lanyard was used up. The end of the lanyard was seized to the turn of the lanyard adjacent to itself with a couple of seizings.".... the only way Niagara appears to have deviated from this is in the hitch taken above the heart on the stay, and the eyesplice is on the lower heart not the upper one.

Niagara USS Constitution