HMS Bounty by Don Jane - FINISHED - Billing Boats - Scale 1:50

This is my first build that I started 2 years ago and now I am just starting the standing rigging. I will have pictures from the beginning of my build shortly - Please be patient. Does anyone know were I can see details about running rigging diragrams for my Bounty. See you soon.

Don

Hi Don, I look forward to viewing your build.  Many years ago, a friend of mine had rigging plans for HMS Bounty. Sadly he is nolonger with us, but I wills ask his wife if she still has them.

Best wishes

Jimbob (Richard)

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Hello Don

I would recommend the book The Armed Transport Bounty, by John McKay. It was published by Conway Maritime Press Ltd in 1989 as part of their Anatomy of the Ship series. You should be able to get a copy via a second-hand dealer as I believe it is no longer in print.

Knowing how thorough John McKay is in his research I would say this is probably the definitive work on the design, construction and rig of the Bounty (the book is profusely illustrated with detailed line illustrations, accompanied by an authoritative text and a number of reproductions of photographs of the replica, built for the film).

Good luck with your build! I look forward to seeing photos of your Bounty!

Edited by Torrens

Michael

member of
United States Naval Institute

Royal United Services Institute

Society for Nautical Research
Navy Records Society

author of
The Art of Nautical lllustration - A Visual Tribute to the Classic Marine Painters, 1991, 2001 & 2002
United States Coast Guard barque Eagle, 2013 (Blurb Photobook)

former assistant editor of the quarterly journal and annual 
Model Shipwright and Shipwright 2010

Hi Don,

I have some large scale rigging drawings of the Bounty I could lend you. They are John MacKay's which he sold to me some years ago. Otherwise, Petersson's rigging book would be a very good guide.

I've been away on holiday this summer so I have taken a break from model building and MSW. We can hook up when I get back from my next trip in early October. A get together is long overdue!

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Finally, I am getting back to posting in my build log - as stated above I started my Bounty about 2 years ago, so I have made a bit of progress, I will post the pics that I have to date - I am currently starting my standing rigging

post-489-0-12555500-1379349915_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-20944800-1379349938_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-79888400-1379349952_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-83509400-1379349980_thumb.jpg

The above pics are up to the stage of the deck planking - I used a lead pencil to get a good effect on the deck planks, and I liked the results

Hull planking is now done and the finished product was not to my liking, so wiyj advise from my friend, Kip, I decided to put on a second planking - he suggested cherry wood veneer and I was very happy with the results

At this stage, I attempted the whale and as you can see in the pic, I totally messed up, so I ripped it off and finally got it rite

At this stage I had my masts done, so I couldn't resist putting them on the hull, just so I could see what the finished producy mite look like

At this stage I had my masts done, so I couldn't resist putting them on the hull, just so I could see what the finished producy mite look like

That brings me to were I now stand on my build - I have the rat lines tied on the upper masts and have some of the main standing rigging done. So far, I am quite happy with my build - being that it is my first build and that my kit is a Billings - AND, also a LOT of help from my friends and fellow builderspost-489-0-72838400-1379358460_thumb.jpgpost-489-0-33302500-1379358489_thumb.jpgpost-489-0-73865900-1379358519_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I will get more posts uploaded now that I have more time to spend on my build. Thanks for checking my Build log

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for checking it out - I am very pleased so far, being it is my first attempt at this type of project - I now have all the main standing rigging done and some of the ratlines(ladders) done - I hope to have more pics up in a day or two

Hi Redbeard

Thanks for checking my build - today I am just finishing up the ratlines so will be ready to start putting on yards in a couple of days. Hopefully, I will have more pics up later today.

Don

Well, I completed my standing rigging - it is definatly not museum quality, but if you don't look real close I don't think it looks too bad - I am quite satisfied being it is my first build. Now, I can get on with the yard arms running rigging, which I feel is going to be quite a challange, working with the very fine thread, but I am game for the challenge.

Sorry, I don't have any pics attached - I seem to be having a bit of an issue with my upload being to large - I will keep at it and have pics soon !!!

Edited by Don Jane

• 2 weeks later...

just getting started on the running rigging - this is going to be a lot of titly work but it is fun !!post-489-0-70661800-1381163580_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I now have to running rigging done - only a few touch ups here and there and I will call it complete - next step is building a display case !!!