Norfolk Sloop by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Modellers Shipyard - Reconstructed Build Log

Thirteen ratlines done (there's one right up top holding them together) - seven to go for this side.

Ratlines 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I've finished the Starboard ratlines - only twenty more to go on the Port side :) .

Ratlines 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Fitting the Gaff

I've made up the Gaff Parrel and fitted the gaff to the mast. The rigging of it is yet to come.

The first pic shows a little trick I use to thread the tiny trucks on quickly and easily. I put them all onto a long-wire needle threader and fit the lot in one go :D. I've used 9 trucks for the gaff, and painted them brown to look more like wood.

I detailed and fitted a 5mm single block to the end of the gaff for the ensign halyard, two more at 90mm and 120mm (no measurement on the plans) from the end for the gaff halyards and a 5mm double block on top of the jaw for the gaff lift.

The parrel rope goes through the sides of the jaws correctly, unlike the way shown in the kit with the holes vertically. A large knot on the outside of each end holds the rope on.

Gaff Parrel 001.jpg

Gaff Parrel 003.jpg

Gaff Parrel 004.jpg

Gaff Parrel 006.jpg

Gaff Parrel 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Boom Stop

One thing I hadn't thought of before - and the kit doesn't mention it either - is a Boom Stop.

Having no way of getting a full ring into position with the rigging in place, I made a ring up out of boxwood in similar fashion to the mast hoops and split it in half. I then glued the two halves back together around the mast.

I also made four tiny knees for the stop and fitted them.

Boom Stop 001.jpg

Boom Stop 002.jpg

Boom Stop 003.jpg

I've treenailed the boom stop. More for strength than anything else.

Boom Stop 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Sheet Cleats

I've reshaped the supplied Sheet Cleats and fitted them.

Sheet Cleats 002.jpg

Sheet Cleats 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Tiller

I've made the Tiller from a piece of 4mm x 4mm Norfolk Pine and fitted same.

I haven't curved it like the kit's because I've raised the rudder to clear the extended transom - it works out as being around hip high (28mm from the deck) which is spot on. The rudder top has been trimmed, a filler piece has been added above it, and I've treenailed it all together.

I've also fitted 5 footgrip strips made from 1mm x 0.25mm radiata pine.

Tiller 001.jpg

Tiller 002.jpg

Tiller 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Throat and Peak Halyards

I've rigged the Throat Halyard and Peak Halyard to the Gaff. A few differences to the kit instructions again :

First was the way they had the peak halyards rigged - they have BOTH ends running down to eyebolts on the deck (why?), whereas I have SPLICED (pic 2) the standing end around the mast and then rove through the blocks with the running end belaying to a pin on the starboard top rail. This meant removing one of the eyebolts in the mast and plugging the resulting hole (I should have checked a bit more thoroughly earlier).

Second was the belaying point for the throat halyard - again, they have it going to an eyebolt in the deck - no way ... I have used a belaying pin in the Port top rail.

Gaff Rigging 004.jpg

Gaff Rigging 005.jpg

I've also installed the four very large "belaying pins" for the Sweeps. I didn't think these were all that accurate, but the Replica has exactly the same things so I'll go with them (apparently they must work OK :) ).

Gaff Rigging 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Sheet Horse

I've fitted the transom railing which I made earlier, and also fitted a Horse for the Sheet on top of it.

I've also fitted another Horse(?) to the Boom over the top of where the sheet will be attached to the boom.

I don't have any real information on how the sheet works on the boom on this type of craft, or whether that boom horse was even used at all. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm leaning toward a ring around the boom that can slide inside the boom horse (like a Traveller), or would it just be tied off and not move at all?

Sheet Horse.jpg

Boom Horse.jpg

Cheers, Danny

From "Jim Lad" :

Just a couple of comments about the rigging:

Double ended halliards were sometimes used to cut down on chafe. The halliard could be moved back and forth a little so that the same part of the rope wasn't always working in the block.

Are you following the replica in your rigging? The halliard lead is a little unusual (but not unrealistic) and halliards in smaller craft were commonly made fast at the foot of the mast, rather than at the rail.

The horse on the boom is rather strange - firstly because the logical place to make fast a sheet block is under the boom, not on top of it, and secondly because a horse there would interfere with the foot of the sail. A more usual sheet attachment would be for the block to be fixed to a strop around the boom.

Hi John,

Thanks for the info.

I fitted that "horse" to the boom as per kit instructions - I didn't think it a logical way of doing it either ... it's coming back off.

Cheers, Danny

In the pic below I've used a red arrow for what I thought the Peak Halyard should have been, but now I'm more inclined to think it's the Port side Topping Lift for the boom.

The green arrow looks like the Peak Halyard, with the Throat Halyard on the other side of the mast (or vice-versa).

I can easily change them over if that's the way they should go.

Question Halliard 001.jpg

Cheers, Danny

From "Jim Lad" :

I think you've nailed the replica's halliard configuration exactly - as I said, unusual, but not unrealistic. I also think you're right about the running ends of the halliards coming down the mast.

Have a look at the sheet in the two photos. In the first one, it looks like double sheets - the starboard sheet taut with the weight on it and the port one slack; however in the second photo it looks like there's only a single sheet. From the position of the blocks, however, it seems clear that they're made fast to strops around the boom.

Cheers, Danny

As per John's advice I've moved the gaff halyards in to the foot of the mast.

I made and fitted two brass cleats, which I've since painted to look like wood. (Pics 1 and 2)

I've attached the Boom Topping Lifts with a clove hitch around the end of the boom, but I may change this to a single block stropped to the same position.

Cleats 001.jpg

Cleats 002.jpg

Boom Topping Lifts 001.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Boom Sheets

Next thing to do is the Boom Sheets, I'll only do a single.

On the Replica (pic 1 - sorry about the quality, it's as good as I can get it) they use what looks like a brass Traveller or ring to fit between the lower block and the horse to enable the sheet to slide from one end to the other - I've done something similar.

Question Sheet 001.jpg

Boom Sheets 001.jpg

Boom Sheets 002.jpg

EDIT - Following some advice given me by PM I've redone the Sheet Horse. The horse now goes THROUGH the top rail and into the cap rail and transom - a much sturdier method, and the way it was done on the Replica (but I didn't see it :huh: ).

Horse Fix.jpg

Cheers, Danny

From "Anton" :

Looking at the picture of the replica... it appears the topping lift actually fixes to cheeks either side of the boom - one for port and starboard respectively. These cheeks would have a number of holes drilled through to allow the topping lift to be moved for or aft - though only slightly - these cheeks and the topping lift would then be further forward along the boom - not quite a third in from the aft end.

Topping Lift 1.jpg

Topping Lift 2.jpg

I don't know how many times I've looked at that pic of the Replica under sail before and didn't see what you've just drawn - now it's all so obvious :huh::D .

Thanks for that, and I'll put the changes into effect.

Cheers, Danny

Boom Cheeks

Here are Anton's Boom Cheeks. Made from boxwood.

Boom Cheeks 003.jpg

I thought I'd have a go at making Anton's Guide Line Strop, just to see if it was possible.

Yep, and not all that hard to do either - only took me 20 minutes to make one  - four more to go.

I used two fishing line seizings instead of splices, which aren't all that easy to do on 0.15mm thread.

Guide Line Strop.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Jib Rigging

I've fitted the Jib Rigging.

I've done all this completely different to the kit, which I thought was WAY out.

For starters I'm using a Jib Stay as does the Replica (I can't see how the jib would work without one). I've seized the standing part to the shackle in the jib traveller, and also fitted a block for the jib's Downhauler. The stay reeves through a block on the starboard side of the mast cleats above the top of the shrouds etc. The running end will belay to a pin in the top rail just forward of the shrouds.

The jib halyard will reeve through the block on the port side, and belay to another pin on the port top rail.

The ONE (the kit had two) Jib Inhaul is tied off to the bottom of the traveller. The running part goes to the Starboard cleat in the bowsprit block.

The Outhaul in the kit is shown as having it's running part tied to an eyebolt in the stem under the bowsprit - it wouldn't have done ANYTHING down there.

I've tied it to the hook in the traveller, rove through the sheave in the bowsprit and took the running part to the Port cleat in the bowsprit block.

Jib Rigging 001.jpg

Jib Rigging 002.jpg

Jib Rigging 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Railings

I've made and fitted the side Railings. The same method was used for the Transom Railing.

After laterally bending the rails (soaked with water and left to dry in a jig) I drilled the holes for the 0.5mm brass pins, then placed each rail on top of the bulwark rails and drilled through them as well. This ensured exact alignment with each other.

Then I drilled the stanchions and fitted the pins. When dry I sanded the protruding parts flat and fitted the railings. Finally I gave them a couple of coats of semi-gloss clear.

BTW - I don't remember if I mentioned it when I did the Transom Railings, but I've halved the kit supplied stanchions - the railings are now at elbow height instead of eyebrow height :D .

Railings 001.jpg

Railings 002.jpg

Railings 003.jpg

Railings 004.jpg

Railings 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Anchors

I've made the Anchors.

I wasn't all that happy (to say the least) with the kit supplied Stocks.

Anchors 003.jpg

I've made the stocks from 4mm x 2mm walnut in two pieces as the originals were. The gap in the centre is to allow the bands to be tightened when needed.

I made the bands from painted photo paper. The kit's brass bands were too large for the outer two and I had a lot of trouble trying to reduce one to size.

Anchors 001.jpg

Anchors 002.jpg

I've also "Puddened" the Rings :

Anchors 005.jpg

Anchors 006.jpg

I thought I may as well finish off the anchors (for now - they'll be fitted after the sails and rigging are completed) by tying the anchor cable to them.

The knot used for this is called a Clinch Knot. That is the way described in Lees.

The knot is finished with a seizing.

Clinch Knot 002.jpg

Clinch Knot.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Sails

I've been procrastinating a bit about the Sails, mainly because I haven't used a sewing machine in over 20 years.

Today I got my mother-in-law to show me what her $4,000 machine could do (she makes and dresses Porcelain Dolls as a hobby - and she's VERY good at it too :) ).

This sample was done with whatever she had in her machine at the time - she says it's not a particularly fine tread, and she has two smaller sizes ... AND it's PINK :D .

The smallest stitch with this thread is 1mm - it looks TOO small to the eye. I'm more inclined to the 1.7mm.

The material I've used for the sample is 1,000 Threads per Inch Egyptian Cotton. Probably a bit TOO fine at this scale.

Stitching.jpg

From "hopeful" :

I am using a 1.7mm stitch which works for me. Yes, I think 1.0mm is too small. The key is to be able to see the stitch as a stitch, 1.4 to 1.7 is good.Too small and it looks like a straight line.

My stitching is off white polyester to match my sail material. Most users of sails seem to prefer a colored stitch. BTW, when sewing the sail seam stitches you need to be aware that it will gather which has the effect of shorting the length of the sail. Don't you dare cut the sail cloth close until after the sail seam stitching in finished. At that point you can continue on to tabling. Otherwise your sails will end up too small.

Be sure you use a small needle to match your thread size as good as possible. Otherwise, you will be punching big holes filled with tiny thread.

From "Jim Lad" :

Just to keep the scale thing in perspective, according to Kipping's "Sails and Sailmaking", now sails were stitched at 144 stitches to the yard, or 1 stitch every 1/4 inch. That makes actual scale stitches at 1:36 scale 0.18mm long! :huh:

Go for it, Danny!!
:D

What can I say but - YAY :D ?

All done by eye, and the right scale too :huh: - amazing :D .

Cheers, Danny

Time to bite the bullet and start on the Sails.

I've drawn them up in AutoCAD on my computer, and printed them to full size.

I have the Cloths at 24" apart, and drawn in the Tabling to see what I'll be in for when I sew them together - pretty tight. I made the Tabling for the Gaff a scale 3 1/2" for the Head, 3" for the Luff, 2 1/2" for the Leech and 2" for the Foot. 3" equals 2.1mm at this scale, 2" is only 1.4mm.

The Jib has a 3" Stay, and 2" Leech and Foot.

I'll put a single Reef Band in the Gaff, and reinforcements in the corners of both sails.

Before I start anything I'll test fit the paper templates.

Plans 003.jpg

Plans 001.jpg

Plans 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

The saga of making the sails begins here.

First thing I did was buy a "Disappearing Ink" Pen - it's water soluble, but "air-erases" in a day or two anyway. I also bought a bottle of "Fabric Stabilizer", which is a water-based fabric "glue" for holding the Tabling in position prior to sewing it. These came from a sewing supplies store.

Disappearing Ink Pen.jpg

Fabric Stabilizer.jpg

I laid my sail cloth - 1,000 thread-per-inch Egyptian Cotton - over my templates, which I taped to a piece of Manilla Folder. You can JUST see the template through the cloth (pics 3 and 4) and marked them out (pic 5).

Gaff Sail 002.jpg

Gaff Sail 003.jpg

Gaff Sail 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

I've decided to get my dear old mother-in-law to do the machine sewing on the sails - she can do a hem in 5 seconds flat whereas I was struggling to do one in 1/2 an hour :huh: .

We started by doing the "seams" for the cloths.

Gaff Sail 005.jpg

Gaff Sail 006.jpg

Next I used the Fabric Stabilizer to glue down the "inside" hem of the first Tabling. To speed the drying process I used the point of an iron.

Gaff Sail 007.jpg

Then I folded the hem over itself and re-applied the glue, ironing it flat again.

Gaff Sail 010.jpg

M-I-L then sewed it down (pic 5).

Gaff Sail 013.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Two pics of both the sails to the stage I've done them so far. I washed the glue and marker pen off them after taking these pics - no problems at all with getting either of them off.

The Gaff has the wide reinforcing on the Luff already.

Gaff Sail 011.jpg

Jib Sail 001.jpg

EDIT - Lees is a bit hard to follow sometimes as he jumps around a bit - I didn't find the right way to fit the Tabling for the Gaff and Jib until I read back several pages (in the middle of the square sails) where he mentions that the tabling and re-inforcements are done on the Port side ONLY. I'd wrapped the Luff tabling AROUND the sail and had it on BOTH sides. I've since corrected it.

Cheers, Danny

Bolt Ropes

Hand-stitching them through the rope. This might take a while :huh: .

Bolt Ropes 003.jpg

Bolt Ropes 001.jpg

Bolt Ropes 004.jpg

Bolt Ropes 005.jpg

Bolt Ropes 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Since my last post I've done another 80 stitches (one every 1.8mm) - about 2/3 of the way down one side in a bit under 2 hours.

Bolt Ropes 008.jpg

Bolt Ropes 010.jpg

Bolt Ropes 011.jpg

It's taken me about 3 hours to sew the bolt rope down one side of the Jib.

I've seized the Sheet loop into it.

Bolt Ropes 012.jpg

Cheers, Danny

The first 1/3 took me 3 1/2 hours, the last 2/3 only took 2 1/2 hours.

One of the major reasons for my increase in speed was a change of needle.

I broke the last of the small ones I had at 5:00am this morning and thought that was the end of play until I could buy some more later in the day.

Then my brother-in-law, who lives two doors down, called in five minutes later to check on my progress - we're both early risers :D . He said he had a heap of small needles from years ago when he did leather-work (he's an ex-bikie) so I tried one of them. What a difference :) .

These needles are very small, but extremely strong. The eye in them doesn't flare out either, so they are very easy to pull through multiple layers.

I've finished the Bolt Ropes on the Jib sail - a total of 6 hours work.

The Gaff shouldn't take me much longer, now that I've got my technique and needle sorted out

Bolt Ropes 013.jpg

Bolt Ropes 015.jpg

Cheers, Danny

The Luff of the Gaff sail only took me 50 minutes - and that was all through at least 4 layers. I'm getting the hang of it now :D .

I've left a short tail at the first loop to splice the return rope through.

Gaff Bolt Ropes 002.jpg

Gaff Bolt Ropes 003.jpg

The Leech, which is the longest on the Gaff sail (260mm) only took me 42 minutes. The Head was only 170mm and took me the same amount of time.

Only the Foot left to go.

Cheers, Danny

The bolt ropes are finally finished :) .

They are about as much fun to do as Ratlines or Treenails - luckily I like doing them as well :D .

Bolt Ropes.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Robands and Reef Points

I've fitted the Robands which tie around the Gaff. They look like an ungodly mess at the moment :huh: . I've done two per cloth as described in Lees, and given each a spot of PVA to stop them pulling out while I tie them.

Robands 001.jpg

Robands 002.jpg

I've also added another Reef Band.

Reef Band.jpg

And I've fitted the Reef Points. I've put a spot of PVA on each to hold it in position. They'll get tided up after the sail is fitted.

Reef Points.jpg

Cheers, Danny

The Cringles are on - this completes the sail suit. Now to fit them to the boat.

Cringles 001.jpg

Cringles 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny