Diluting copper paint in cyanoacrylate (Retitled by moderator)

So I'm thinking about diluting some copper paint in cyanoacrylate the water thin kind, so that when I glue the copper plates down it will seep out the sides making it look welded/soldered. How should I do this? Should I use enamel? Acrylic? How much do I put in? Do I dilute it in water first or just dilute it in the glue? Any advice would help on what the best way to do this would be

Spence--- This question should bring the glue wizards out in force! It sounds like a recipe for a mess to me..... I'm not a big fan of ACA anyway, and mixing paint into it sounds like some heinous, coagulating gelatinous scum. Further, copper plates on wooden ships were not soldered or braised , but rather nailed or screwed, overlapping each other a bit. This caused a whole set of galvanic corrosion problems which were solved by changing the fasteners to copper as well. These were the first real corrosion laboratories--- a fascinating topic in its own right---- starring my hero Sir Humphrey Davy...... another story. With my luck lately, you'll probably hear from a bunch of folk who do this all the time, and will call me a brainless fool, but I'm just not buying the idea.

john

Go to the planking and plating topic in the forum directory, and look at what the other crazies are doing. On most of their builds, they are either using Caldercraft or Amati commercial plates or using some variety of stained glass coppering material. The few tiny miniature degenerates like me have used copper shim stock, or even painted paper. But your gap question is only going to be answered by "don't make any damn gaps!!", I'm afraid. This work is not as hard as it seems, and is harder to explain than to do. The two Big Deals are to lay them in a proper lines, and to get the brickwork-like stagger pattern correct. There's a ton of good info here and at other sites---- search "coppering model ships" and you'll get a bunch of hits. THEN, ask our resident authorities any question you need, and they will tell you more than you ever wanted to know. You will soon be an old hand at this.

john

Why don´t you simply paint the wood underneath with copper paint before gluing the plates onto it?

The mixing of CA and paint will not work imho.

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Acrylic will cause problems with CA as its water based and will react. Futhermore thin CA is really not suited to bonding plates to to the hull,I used a Medium viscosity which works well but even thats not totally foolproof. I never had a problem with gaps coppering my Snake - biggest problem was the odd plate just refused to stay in place and took a couple of tries on the keel for those I used a Unibond Powergrip adhesive , not a water based or contact.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Hmmm Interesting idea. Like the others it sounds like a recipe for disaster but then I am not a real big fan of CA myself; I use it but very sparingly. 

There are a couple of chemists here, if they dont respond here in a couple of days try searching the user names, at least one of them has chemist in his name. Give him a PM, I have not interacted with him but he seems like a very friendly decent person. 

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

CA is widely recommended by kit manufacturers such as Caldercraft but not thin - low visosity.

Never mix CA with water based products it just doesnt work as I said above.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Sorry but this sounds really weird - I've mixed cyano glue with paint as an experiment and it turned out as a failure. Try it yourself and let us know - you might have better results!

Pierre!

Just Started: Golden Hind scratch build

Previous - Scratch Built :Mayflower  HMS Myrmidon 

Kit: HMB Endeavour

+/- 20 RC Boats:Tugs,Yachts, Skimmers 

4 Miniature Freestyle Sailing Boats

Water will cause CA to instantly cure and it will turn right in the process.   Since acrylics are water based, I'll leave the result to the imagination.  I'm not a chemist, just someone who's screwed up more than once.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)