HMS Sussex by mij - Scale 1:48

I have started to build HMS Sussex 1693 from the plans by Gilbert McArdle, all the frames will be made from tulipwood.

These first two pictures show how I fitted a removable keel by fitting a piece of brass tube into the baseboard and a smaller piece of brass tube to the keel.

post-838-0-70637000-1380005675_thumb.jpg

The tulipwood being planed for the keel

Milling the tulipwood for the forward frames

The frame templates are glued to the tulipwood, the glue I use is a non-toxic washable glue stick

Cutting out the frames

post-838-0-63611100-1380006442_thumb.jpg

xebec 1:60 scale, scratch build

This looks to be an interesting build. I have the book by Gib McArdle and will be very interested to see the model built up from his plans.

Edited by gjdale

Very nice work in a larger scale.  I'm willing to spend a few years following your journey.

Are you fairing the insides of the frames as you go along, or will you wait till the exteriors are faired?

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Good work MJ!  I'll follow along.  I particularly want to see how you use your mill to make parts.  

How big will she be when done?  Masted and rigged?  OK, I'll stop with the questions.

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Excellent start MJ! I love the indexed setup you're using. Insuring the frames are centered and the maximum height of breadth is where it belongs should be relatively easy with this jig.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

God start Mij. I look forward to following your progress.

Ed

With out measuring the spindel sander, (as I`m at work) the top plate must be 12" square and the body 18" high.

If your building a framed model, it`s a must have.

mij

Impressive tool collection, mij.

I will add a few thoughts about the spindle sander. It is a very useful tool for sanding the insides of curves. I would recommend an oscillating type to avoid sanding the same spot on the drums and one with multiple drum diameters. A would also highly recommend some sort of dust collection on this and all power sanders. This can be as simple as a shop vacuum connected to the sander and run off a combined switch. Before dust collection my sanding spread dust from the basement throughout the house and I woke up most mornings with congestion - no more.

Before buying a spindle sander I used a drum fitted to a table top drill press. All the frames on Naiad were done with this arrangment.

Ed

Yes they are great tools for model makers and if you look after them they will last a long time.

My latest gift to myself is a Proxxon OZI 220/E Multi tool (Delta sander) which I will use to fair the frames.

mij

• 2 weeks later...

After fitting 8 full foreward frames, I decided that I was not happy with my build, I built the frames oversize and I was to fair them inside and out as Gilbert McArole done on his build.

I used Titebond for all the gluing, so I put my build in a bucket of water to release the glue.

It came apart with the use of a pallet knife between the frames, I will have to re-cut 8 more floor timber, because I had to chisel them out of the deadwood (I did say to myself, mind your fingers, I`ve now got a plaster on my index finge on my left hand).

I will now fair the frames as I fit them, which is the way I mormally build my models and I am much happier with.

First picture of my re-build.

post-838-0-23989900-1381911902_thumb.jpg

These are 2 of my new Proxxon toys

post-838-0-94516400-1381911979_thumb.jpg

Can you tell us the model number of the one on the right in the photo please? I can't seem to spot it on the Proxxon site. Looks cool though! :)

Started to build up the frames.

The first picture is the full frame drawn on paper with the floor timber and the top timber tacked to the paper using Copydex.

post-838-0-31169700-1382337498_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the 1st futtock glued to the floor timber and the top timber using Titebond and held in position with 1bl weights.

post-838-0-59212600-1382337837_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the complete frame, slightly over size for fairing.

post-838-0-68465700-1382337964_thumb.jpg