HMS Sussex by mij - Scale 1:48

Hi Mij -

Frames looking good.  I will be following your progress with interest.

Is there a reason for using Copydex?  I looked it up and a 125 ml bottle (about 4.25 oz) costs almost $50, which is way more than any other adhesive that I know of.

I also looked up the Proxxon long neck tool, since it looked like it would be useful in shaping the solid hulls that I am building.  But it was a bit pricey and the reviews were almost uniformly negative.  Let us know what your experience is after you have used it for a while.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Dan

A very small dab of Coptdex is put on the top and bottom of the top and floor timbers just to hold them onto the paper template while the 1st futtock is glued on.

when the Titebond has set, the frame can be peeled away from the paper template and the Copydex can be rubbed off with your finger.

As for the Proxxon long neck tool, the Wife ask me what I wanted for my Birthday, and that is what I picked.

I will let you know how I get on with it.

mij

xebec 1:60 scale, scratch build

Mij -

That's what we pay for rubber cement that we use for the same purpose.  Just another example of how we are two countries divided by a common language.

Dan

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

You are a braver man than I, mij, to use power tools to fair! Personally I wouldn't risk messing up many hours of work by grinding a bit too much off. You must have nerves of steel. The model looks great so far.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 3 weeks later...

I`m not happy with the Tulip wood I`m using to build H.M.S Sussex, the Tulip is a bit soft and has no depth.

So I`ve put what I`ve done so far to one side and will start again using Cherry that has more depth.

It`s a 2 to 3 year project, and I believe you must be happy with what you are doing to get the best out of yourself.

mij

Hi Mij -

A very major step, as Druxey says.  But before you retire all of your excellent work so far, you might consider staining the tulipwood to get the depth of color that you are looking for.  Even basswood, which is at least as dull white as tulip, can be brought to an acceptable look with a judicious mix of colors.  I always use 50% uncolored or Natural (that's what Minwax calls it) to even out the stain and prevent blotchiness.  After that, just experiment with various stains till you get the one or combination that you like.

Whatever your choice, I will watch your progress with interest.

Dan

I`m using a piece of Cherry 49" x 12" x 2" for the frames, which has to be cut on a bandsaw, as I don`t own a large bench saw.  

There will be about 40 lengths 2" x 7/16"  then each piece will be milled down to the right thickness, which does take a long time.

But if you enjoy your hobby, does time matter.

I know what the wife thinks.

mij

Wow, I completely agree with Druxey above!    Better to be happy now than regretful later.

Best of luck

Eamonn

Edit.. think a few more posts popped in there between my typing this and the post made by Druxey.. :)

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

I commiserate with you Mij. I decided to discard my first fully framed Swan model after one year because I was not happy with the quality of my earlier work. I rebuilt it in less than half the time and the results were definitely worth it. For some people the finished model is the destination, for others it's the journey that matters most.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

For some people the finished model is the destination, for others it's the journey that matters most.

Greg I could not agree with this statement more.

Mij, Definitely a major step, but it is oneself that one has to satisfy that the materials are giving the desired results.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Ahhh . . . to have the luxury of being able to savor the journey. . . my customers rarely care about the process.  Thankfully, I can come here to enjoy the journeys of my colleagues and friends. 

Be well

Dan

Ahhh . . . to have the luxury of being able to savor the journey. . . my customers rarely care about the process.  Thankfully, I can come here to enjoy the journeys of my colleagues and friends. 

Be well

Dan

Then of course Dan, you could build something for yourself in between and not always on commission... ;)

then you could enjoy the journey as well as the final result.

Mij, I too know the feeling of putting a lot of hours in the scrap bin...just to remake and be happy. You have our support anyway!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Cherry ready for the bandsaw

post-838-0-60629100-1384845825_thumb.jpg

The cherry cut and ready to be milled.

post-838-0-68718000-1384845979_thumb.jpg

It was worth the time and effort.

Tulip on the left and Cherry on the right

post-838-0-30565900-1384846133_thumb.jpg

Start of the new build in cherry.

In the back ground is the one made from tulip.

post-838-0-18580500-1384846307_thumb.jpg

Mij -

What machine did you use to resaw the cherry?  A band saw or table saw?  Can you show us the jig, please.

I will be following your build as avidly in cherry as in tulip.

Dan

Hi Dan

The bandsaw is an old 3 wheel INCA, with a blade length of 104", which is capable of cutting 4" oak, for the milling I use a Proxxon DH 40 Planer Ticknesser (Ref: 27040).

The milling does take long time, but as you can see from the cherry, it was worth it.

post-838-0-07570500-1384870229_thumb.jpg

post-838-0-76597000-1384870250_thumb.jpg

mij

• 1 month later...

My workshop is my garage, and with the UK winter ( a lot warmer than some of you guys )I`m finding the wood glue is not setting( I do have some heating in there ), so I`m having some time out on HMS Sussex until the summer.

I shall scratch build a P.O.B model half the size of HMS Sussex in the conservatory were it`s a lot warmer and the glue will set.

mij

• 3 weeks later...

I'm quite a number of years away from even considering my first scratch build although this is what I will be working towards, therefore I hope you don't mind if I tag along. Keen to learn as much as I can about this incredible hobby.

... and, the cherry does look nicer than the tulipwood to be honest. Wise choice, albeit a very brave one.

Edited by Marsares

Current Build: US Brig Syren, Model Shipways, 1:64

Future Build:  Friesland, Mamoli 1:75 / Alfred, The LumberYard, 1/8

• 1 year later...