Great news Bob. Will they be for sale at the NRG conference as well?

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

I received my Volume II today and it's everything one could hope for. The accompanying CD with patterns and illustrations as well as printed plans make this one of the most well documented model builds I've ever seen. Ed and Bob (SeaWatch Books) have done a great service for ship modelers in general and plank on frame modelers in particular.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thank you, Greg. Your comments are well appreciated.

Ed

I've passed on the details to my wife, along with a heavy hint, as I have a Birthday coming up next month!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No II arrived yesterday in the mail have not put it down since except when my wife yelled at me that it was past time to go to bed!!! She was asleep when I finally got there!

As you promised EdT well done

Guy

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

This completes a very well written pair of books. Very clearly demonstrates by word and pictures the methods the author employs to produce his excellent results.

It is very easy to read and follows a good logical progression of assembly. In my humble opinion, it is right up there with the SWAN series!

My computer lost the ability to open and read the included CDs so I am anxious to see the information on them!

Could not agree more with the others that Mr. Tosti and the good people at SeaWatch Books did ship modelers a huge service by publishing these books.

Model(s) under construction: RATTLESNAKE. 1:48

Next on the launch : ECHO 1781 1:48

• 3 weeks later...
Guest midnight

Received my 2 volumes mot long ago and I echo every thing said . 2 fantastic books and Ed hasn't left a stone unturned in his work on the naiad . He has written in a way that even someone like me self with very limited scratch build skills can follow each build process with ease . The plans , well they speak for them selves . If you haven't these books yet I highly recommend you get them , you won't be disappointed . Great work Ed .

Ed, I will pick up my two copies of Volume II in New York as a perfect complement to Christmas holidays. I am sure it will be even better than volume I, not least because the color prints I know will accompany the text and drawings. I am proceeding in the building of the Naiad. It is a daunting task and my scrap books is a sad evidence thereof, but I am enjoing every hour I am able to spend in my workshop. Hawse timbers are finished and I hope to complete the work on the stern in a couple of weeks.

After the inception of your new great project, the interest in Naiad might perhaps be fading away, but nontheless I would like to post some pictures of my own model with few comments.

Smac,

I am glad to hear of your Naid build and I believe you will be pleased with Volume II.  Thank you for the support.  I would love to see your progress.  Why not start a build log on MSW?

Ed

Sorry the message flew away before I was done with it.

I would only like to stress the enormous contribution you have made to ship modeling with your forums, explanations, methods of work, drawings and research. We European modelers are used to the French technique of ship building with double frames after the Ancre books and the Naiad's  modeling technique is somewhat disconcerting, but absolutely authentic and thoroughly enjoyable.

Like everybody, everyday I look forward to your new posts.

Many thanks for sharing your art with us!

Regards

Salvatore  

Ed,

if I ever started a build log it would only be a poor copy of yours, but I will still post some photos, hopefully soon. Once the work on the stern is finished I trust the most difficult parts of Naiad will be behind me and progress should become faster. Modeling Naiad is an exacting job, but seeing her grow up is so rewarding.

If I just had more time to devote to her ...

Thanks again

Salvatore

• 1 month later...

Hi Ed,

Sorry to bothering you with a small detail but reading the book Naiad II, I noticed that on page 102, chapter 28, the text finishes with "However,". The next line is missing.

Congratulations for the book.

Mauricio

Hi Ed,

I've just received my copy of Naiad Vol 2 - a most welcome belated Christmas present. What a beautiful job you've done with this book! I think it even ups the standard from Vol 1, and that was terrific itself. I've only had the chance to skim and dip into a few sections so far, but the way you've written this makes it a superb general reference book that will become a primary resource for me in the months and years ahead. Thank you so very much for making this contribution to the ship modelling community. Well done Sir!

Thank you, Grant and Mauricio.

It appears that in the final book production process the last paragraph and part of the preceding paragraph of Chapter 28 was somehow left out.  Sorry for this. The last wo paragraphs of Chapter 28. p 102 should read.

"You may wish to forgo the complexities described above in favor of simpler joints.  The quality of your models will not suffer simplification in these minor details.  However, I hope that the process described above will entice you to construct these authentically.

When the lower deck hatchways are installed, the ladders to the orlop level platforms can be added.  In keeping with our sequence and chapter arrangement, other lower decks details, partitions for example, will be covered with the upper deck framing in Chapter 31."

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ed

Guest Mark Adams

As a side note, I noticed that my Naiad II was missing plans sheet 13. I called Bob at SeaWatch, and he said there  IS NO sheet 13. So, just be aware!

Mark, Drawing 13 was included with Volume I.  There is a list of the full sized drawings for both volumes in the addenda on the Volume I forum topic.

Ed

• 2 months later...

Mark, Drawing 13 was included with Volume I.  There is a list of the full sized drawings for both volumes in the addenda on the Volume I forum topic.

Ed

As a side note, I noticed that my Naiad II was missing plans sheet 13. I called Bob at SeaWatch, and he said there  IS NO sheet 13. So, just be aware!

He he, I came across this issue last night and honestly initially thought this had something to do with superstition! :P True to old maritime form.  

Then I found the list for drawings - problem solved. Wish I had come here first.

By the way Ed, FANTASTIC series! I would say an absolute must for any scratch builder. I'm just getting my feet wet in scratch building, and this series has helped the learning curve tremendously.

When does the next series come out?  ;)

Edited by powdermonkey

Thank you, powdermonkey.

At present there is no plan for more books, but the possibility exists for a similar set on Young America. I have made no decision yet.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

The Naiad Frigate Volume II – Addenda

As with Volume I, I will post addenda as necessary to Volume II  of The Naiad Frigate, here on this forum topic.  Here is the first:

Volume II, Addendum 1

First a printing omission:

In the final book production process the last paragraph and part of the preceding paragraph of Chapter 28 was somehow left out.  The last two paragraphs of Chapter 28. p 102 should read.:

"You may wish to forgo the complexities described above in favor of simpler joints.  The quality of your models will not suffer simplification in these minor details.  However, I hope that the process described above will entice you to construct these authentically.

When the lower deck hatchways are installed, the ladders to the orlop level platforms can be added.  In keeping with our sequence and chapter arrangement, other lower decks details, partitions for example, will be covered with the upper deck framing in Chapter 31."

Some additional information on supporting the model during construction – not included in Volume II.

Once the rudder is installed the stern end support described in Volume I cannot be used.  A different method was adopted for the remaining construction.  The new supports made it easy to invert and replace the model in the upright position as required.

Initially, the two “clamped squares” were used to support and hold alignment by butting them up to the sides with the model screwed down to the board – as shown in the following picture:

post-570-0-19905700-1398620959_thumb.jpg

With the clamps in position, a triangle is being used to center the top of the stern.  Whenever the model is turned upright, repositioned or when the clamped squares are moved, this process should be repeated - fore and aft.  It may be tempting not to do it if no precision construction is being done, but I recommend doing it every time to get in the habit.  It is also possible that you may wish to take an unexpected measurement or dimension check.  It takes only a moment to do this.  In the picture it was being done before starting some work on the taffrail.

Another type of support was constructed for this purpose as shown in the next picture:

post-570-0-80030900-1398620959_thumb.jpg

The clamping base was made from pine strips.  Thesupport block was made of another soft wood, in this case white cedar, but any soft wood will suffice.  The top inside corner of the block should be rounded.  I made four of these.

The next picture shows these supports being used.  They are more versatile than the clamped squares.  They fit nicely out of the way on the lower hull.  Make sure the holddown bolts through the keel are tight and do not neglect the alignment check

post-570-0-55390300-1398620960_thumb.jpg

The last picture shows the four supports supporting the finished model.

post-570-0-06796200-1398620961_thumb.jpg

The above is also attached as a pdf that can be printed.

Naiad Frigate Volume II Addendum 1.pdf

Edited by EdT

Hi Ed,

Very ingenious! Thanks for showing this. I made some chocks a number of years ago (see photo), but I got nervous about leaving them for a long time because the finish might not "weather" as much behind the chocks as the rest of the hull, and I wasn't sure how I would fix it. You have given me an idea of putting some smaller "buttons" on the chocks so they touch less of the hull, and then using your great idea of using the side T-sections to clamp them in place. The other problem with mine is that the hull has to be removed to bolt the chocks in place. Your idea solves that problem.

Thanks!

Mark

post-477-0-25907400-1398640710_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Is there a table of contents available for Volume II? Sorry if I missed it but I'm interested in buying the set and just wanted to check out what additional info is provided in the second volume.

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

The tables of contents in both Volume I and II are somewhat abbreviated.  I have attached more detailed versions that I prepared before final publication.  However, with very few exceptions, these reflect the content of the books, by sub-chapter headings.  I hope these will be helpful.

Thanks for your interest in the books.

Ed

Naiad Vol I Contents.pdf

Naiad Vol II Contents.pdf

That's really great, Ed. Thanks a lot!

I've only built one kit (Sherbourne) and am moving through the Triton Cross-Section -- which I'm enjoying immensely. I'm really tempted to move on to the Naiad after the cross-section, but fear it may be too much to take on without more experience so I may buy the books at least to gain an insight into the techniques used and try to decide whether I need to postpone taking it on and build other fully framed models before doing so.

Thanks also for the wonderful build logs you have made and continue to make!

Tony

• 2 months later...