Essex - Process and corrections to the new Model Expo Kit

samueljr

Guest Tim I.

Sam,

I received an e-mail from Model Expo last week mentioning that the kit I ordered should be on back order for at least 20-30 days more. In my conversations with Customer Service they mentioned I should receive a re-tooled kit. If you want I can take pictures of the kit when it arrives and send them to you via private message.

Thank you for your vigilant work on the corrections.

I will not be starting my Essex build until later this year (most likely in September - hopefully), but will be starting a build log when I do.

Thank you,

Tim

I contacted ME via their community Face Book page on their web site about obtaining retooled parts for Essex. I have one of the first kits they sent out. I guess I should have know there would be issues when the box label indicated the model had a machine carved hull :huh:!

I received a very prompt response indicating I should contact Frank at Parts@modelexpo-online.com for a new parts list which I should compare to the original parts list and then send them a request for the new retooled parts I needed. The revised parts list is to be ready in 30-60 days. It would be a lot easier if ME provided a list of the modified parts but... whatever :rolleyes:.

Best

Jaxboat B)

Thanks Jaxboat. I am another one waiting on the "retooled" parts, but I thought the "retooled" parts were to be the wood parts from the initial sheets of wood parts that didn't quite fit together right (see earlier comments of Sam and Rafine). If these wood parts are redone, I'm not sure that would be reflected in a new parts list. I hope so.

Bill M.

WELL THE FINAL CORRECTIONS WENT TO EXPO TODAY. ONCE I'VE GOT THEM BACK (ABOUT A WEEK OR SO) I CAN SIGN OFF AND ESSEX SHOULD BE PRETTY SET TO GO. IN THE MEAN TIME I'LL FINISH RE-EDITING THE MANUAL AND DROPPING THE NEW IMAGES ONTO THE PLANS.

I'LL BE WORKING WITH EXPO ON HOW THE PIECES WILL BE DISTRIBUTED, LABELED, ETC. I'LL POST UPDATES HERE AS THEY BECOME AVAILABLE.

I'LL BE STARTING ANOTHER THREAD THIS WEEKEND - IT WILL BE THE BUILD LOG (DESIGN LOG) OF THE PROTO-TYPE. SOMETHING THAT NEVER WAS DONE HERE.

HOPEFULLY THAT WILL ANSWER A LOT OF THE QUESTIONS I'VE SEEN/ RECEIVED REGARDING EXACTLY WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE KIT.

I'LL POST THAT UP THIS WEEKEND. IT WILL BE PRETTY MUCH THE MANUAL AND SOME ADDITIONAL IMAGES AND NOTES FROM ME. I'LL RELEASE AN INSTALLMENT EVERY WEEK OR SO.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO'S BEEN KIND AND TO THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVEN'T................LOL!

SAM

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Jax,

You're welcome. Thank you for your help and encouragement

Frustrating is a good day................

Impossible to describe what it's like to look at the proto-type and wonder what the hell went wrong?.................

Still a lot of work to do

Sam

Guest Tim I.

Sam,

Your efforts on the initial design and re-design of the kit are greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to seeing the kit when the back-orders are filled, as well as reading your build-log in earnest.

For those waiting for a back-ordered kit, I called Model Expo yesterday and the tentative timeline they gave for back orders to be fulfilled is currently set at eight to ten weeks from now.

Thank you,

Tim

Tim,

I see you're in Rochester. I'm just down the 90 in Lewiston. 

I've been discussing with Expo how they're going to incorporate the new files into the kit(s) as well as the amended drawings and manual. We're still trying to figure out how best to achieve all that short of putting everything old (good and bad) in the dumpster. WAY EXPENSIVE and not necessary.

So there are production considerations and logistics that have to be worked out as the files I send are connected in a number of ways.

The time line sounds like an outside number but that's up to them. I know they have a tremendous amount of back-orders on the kit and it is not a quick production item.

I'm looking forward to getting the build log out here. As I said it will basically be the manual chapter by chapter but it will give everyone a chance to see ESSEX going together and give me the opportunity to answer a lot of questions I've received and explain why I designed aspects as I did.

Also hopefully it will shine a more positive light on the kit and what it offers straight from the box or bashed up.

Thanks - Sam

Sam,

This is all very good news! Thank you for all your efforts! I particularly appreciate your work in designing (and reworking) a model I have always wanted. I know it has been frustrating, or worse, but I surely hope the experience doesn't discourage you from future model design work.

In view of this new work and progress on the kit, should we still assume that ME is not going to follow up with a masting and rigging set? Would it do any good to contact them about that? Thanks again for all your efforts!

Bill M.

Hi Bill

Hope all is well with you. 

The masting/rigging will happen I'm not certain on the when, how or who yet. I know I'm going to rig the proto-type (can't wait to see a full rig with Chuck's blocks and line) as well as complete a number of additional details. Whether this is through Expo, me (maybe Syren) or some combination I don't know.

Most important is getting this cleaned up and out. It's going to be interesting once the corrections are out and in circulation. My concern is that any time a builder has difficulty (or dosen't like something) they'll assume something is off  (blame the kit) as opposed to evaluating their process. 

I intend on continuing designing. I enjoy the entire process. I've had discussions with Expo about future projects ( don't know if we're going to revisit the solid hulls) and have given some thought to doing something on my own (or through Syren) if I can decide on the subject matter.

Thanks - Sam

Guest Tim I.

Tim,

I see you're in Rochester. I'm just down the 90 in Lewiston. 

I've been discussing with Expo how they're going to incorporate the new files into the kit(s) as well as the amended drawings and manual. We're still trying to figure out how best to achieve all that short of putting everything old (good and bad) in the dumpster. WAY EXPENSIVE and not necessary.

So there are production considerations and logistics that have to be worked out as the files I send are connected in a number of ways.

The time line sounds like an outside number but that's up to them. I know they have a tremendous amount of back-orders on the kit and it is not a quick production item.

I'm looking forward to getting the build log out here. As I said it will basically be the manual chapter by chapter but it will give everyone a chance to see ESSEX going together and give me the opportunity to answer a lot of questions I've received and explain why I designed aspects as I did.

Also hopefully it will shine a more positive light on the kit and what it offers straight from the box or bashed up.

Thanks - Sam

Sam,

I was actually out your way not to long ago, at Fort Niagara. As for the timeline, I suspect it was given with some ambiguity to allow for the kit retrofit process to sort it self out. 

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

Fort Niagara is one of my favorite places. I live about 5 minutes from it, 

You could be correct about the time line. We have to remember that there is a whole world of builders who are not on MSW. They're not as current with the process.

Sam

Guest Tim I.

Sam,

It is also one of mine as well. My profile picture is one my wife took there. I go there at least once or twice a year.

You had mentioned above a new project, do you have one specifically in mind? I keep toying with the idea of building the USS General Pike (the American flagship in Commodore Chauncy's fleet on Lake Ontario during the War of 1812), but there is so little detail or data available on the ship (I have the sail plan, copies of all the prints on the ship from the National Archives, as well as Howard Chappelle's research on the ship).

From the descriptions I have read and specifically Joshua Humphries notes on the dimensions below the water line, it bears a striking similarity to the hull design of the Essex. Interestingly enough, one of the prints I have from the National Archives, looks more like the Essex (Indian figurehead, and spiritsail -- that is not shown in the Pike's sail plan). Although not enough to go / build on, I hope to be able to build it one day.

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by Tim I.

Sam,

It's good to hear about the progress with the kit revisions. My hope (and I'm sure that it's yours as well) is that this time Expo will follow what you've done. If the kit will allow someone to build a model like your prototype, everyone will be very happy.

Do you have any idea as to when you will be doing the masting and rigging? I will be eager to see it.

Bob

Tim,

Now that I look at your picture I recognize the background - cool! 

The Fort is amazing. I  belong to the Association and always look forward to the French/Indian encampment. 1,000+ people in period costume. My Wife and I also love attending the outdoor concerts by the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.

The entire Lewiston region (Niagara Frontier) was a major area during the War of 1812. Lewiston itself was burned to the ground by the British and Indians and a majority of the residents (men, women. children) killed.

As far as subject matter, if Expo were to have a specific project I would entertain it. On my own I've thought about doing a larger scale/high detail  CONNY cross section that would include all the details moving aft at least to the end of the Main Channel. And it's kind'a "funny" that in the Gallery section pics were recently posted of a British 20 gun w/oars. There really isn't anything like that in the market.  

Sam

Hi Bob,

I hope they (Expo) will as well.

The "thing" is moving on in time.

I know that Chuck experienced some production issues (not to ESSEX's point) with his kits that were cleaned up but now as time moves on there are some other quality control / production concerns that have nothing to do with the design creeping back in.

That's what's most frustrating. What I designed and was produced is assembled as the proto-type (and I consider myself an average builder) and it looks pretty good. Once production begins my influence is nullified for the most part.

It's up to the builder to interpret whether it's a poorly designed kit or a poorly produced kit - two entirely separate things. My concern is that regardless of ESSEX's design ANY issue will be attributed to the design on my end as opposed to a production issue.

I (like any designer) have to accept that inevitably there will be builders who do not like some aspect of my kit design be it drawings, methodology, instruction etc. You can't please everybody - that's just the reality of it. The best example I can give is that there are aspects of Chuck's designs (which I believe are as good as any available) that I don' care for. They're still amazing but I prefer different approaches - doesn't make them bad design.  

ESSEX has a shadow over it right now (and rightfully so) Hopefully moving forward the corrections along with a few build logs and the proto-type build log will re-establish the kit.

Your efforts have been great in showing what can be done in a scratch/bash/upgrade approach - that's just what I hoped for in designing it. You can attest that even if the kit is followed there are a number of upgrade opportunities for the builder to really go for it. But if they choose to remain true to the kit (which has a lot of scratch build aspects) they'll still end up with a hell of a finished boat.

Bob, as you (and a few others) have seen I have the masts and yards already drawn. I was always hoping to rig her to a high level (say along the lines of Grant's VICTORY) so I've got my work cut out for me. I also want to include additional details (boats, anchors, etc) so there's a lot to do.

Once I know that the corrections are complete and she's in a good place again I'll start on the rig. 

Sam

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tim I.

Sam,

To your point about having the masts and boats already drawn. Are these in the new plans for a builder to elect to add them?

In the interum would you recommend using Chapelle's sail plan or what is present in the AOTS book?

Thank you,

Tim

Tim 

The images for the masts and yards and additional boats will not be in the amended kits. Expo is keeping the kit as an admiralty offering only.

I'd go with the AOS plans as a basis

Sam

Hello Sam,

Good to hear from you! Since Model Expo has chosen to stick with the admiralty style Essex only, is there any chance you could sell sets of your masting and rigging plans?.... Maybe with a recommended list of parts such as blocks and cordage available from Syren? Or even market a masting and rigging set through Syren? I have all of Portia Takakjian's materials on the Essex including the AOTS, her booklet and 3/16" plans, but I would prefer to use what you have put together.

Bill M.

Bill

There is a good chance that I will produce/market in some way the matting and rigging plan and additional items (drawings). the rigging will be with Syren's (Chuck) materials but not through Syren directly. It will also be cross referenced with Expo for monetary sake as their fittings are a little less than Syren's (but obviously less accurate as well)

As soon as the corrections are out (very soon - bulk heads are done) I'll get to work on the rigging and I'm also just getting underway with a new kit offering from Expo - to be announced soon

Sam

All great news, Sam. Aside from the bulkheads, are you at liberty to say what the remaining corrections are to the Essex kit? And a masting and rigging kit will be most welcome. As good as the Essex looks as an admiralty model, it will be spectacular fully rigged!

Also exciting to hear you are working on another kit for Model Expo. I realize you probably can't say what the new kit is, but an you say if it is a redo of an existing kit or a new kit altogether?

Bill M.

Bill,

The corrections (additions) include the addition of a second former that already has the "cuts" in it for the "drop down decks" of the builder wants to use it and of course the corresponding images on the plans. 

I've also tweaked a couple of images (parts) nothing major. I've also added a few more lines in the manual and will make sure (try) to see that the manual and drawings remain correct after they have gone to the printer

I'll be announcing the new kit very soon - it's a new kit in 1/4" scale.

Sam

Guest Tim I.

Sam,

Great news! I am eager to get my kit. From what I have been told by Model Expo it will not be until the end of July that kits "might " be shipped. Even if it arrives sooner, I will not be able to start my kit until January 2015.

Any hint on what period or type of ship this new kit might be?

Thanks,

Tim

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for pointing that out Jax.  I hadn't heard that.  And I'm still concerned about Sam.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

FYI: as of Wednesday, the 5th of November, this info on the Essex kit on the ModelExpo web site:

Model Shipways Kit No. MS2041

Length 26-3/8”

Width 13-3/4”

Height 24-5/8”

Scale 1:76 (5/32” = 1 ft.)

Difficulty level: intermediate

Kit design, plans, instructions & prototype model by Bob Crain.

Huh?

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren