Essex - Process and corrections to the new Model Expo Kit

samueljr

Guest Tim I.

Ok, here are the long promised and overdue photos of my kit - what was shipped as a "revised" version.

Box:

post-5402-0-10814600-1430943172_thumb.jpg

The open box. Interesting thing is contents of the box included all the kit parts, plus a penny, a cut up piece of a bank card and a dust bunny.  :huh:  Also the white metal fitting where in a zip lock bag. Interesting...

post-5402-0-15195700-1430943195_thumb.jpg

The sheets of plans still say they are drawn by Sam with a copyright of 2013 (I did not photograph these). Here is a photo of the instruction book. Note the revision date in the upper right hand corner.

post-5402-0-43049200-1430943417_thumb.jpg

post-5402-0-04280400-1430943434_thumb.jpg

Keel pieces:

post-5402-0-69600600-1430943469_thumb.jpg

Bulkheads. It is odd that the bulkheads are two different types of wood, but I expect this is because of the revision, Anyone who has the original kit, was your kit the same / different?

post-5402-0-70985600-1430943481_thumb.jpg

Laser cut wood. All of the extra laser cut wood is what one would expect from Model Shipways as well as the Photo Etch is well done.

post-5402-0-50423800-1430943569_thumb.jpg

post-5402-0-25411900-1430943584_thumb.jpg

The fittings and copper tape are standard MS issue. I will be upgrading these with blocks and line from Syren when the time comes.

post-5402-0-34430600-1430943615_thumb.jpg

Now to my main criticism of this kit. The white metal castings are abysmal...  :angry:  The figure head, lantern, stern (port and starboard) gallery pieces are un-usable. I will need to scratch build these. The worst part is the cannon. 95% of the cannon supplied in the kit are miss-shaped and some are bent. Completely unusable. I really am unsure of what I will do in this respect (pictures of these bad castings below).

post-5402-0-35783300-1430943635_thumb.jpg

Ships wheels

post-5402-0-22303000-1430943644_thumb.jpg

Ships lantern

post-5402-0-64081900-1430943655_thumb.jpg

The two best cannon of each size provided in the kit. Even these are flattened some....

post-5402-0-48199600-1430943663_thumb.jpg

It seems to me that the kit revision was rushed to market. As one of the top kits that Model Shipways offers, I hope that future versions of this kit will be better presented.

I look forward to all of your feedback.

- Tim

Edited by Tim I.

Tim:

The original kit bulkheads were all one wood, but were terrible in every way: completely wrong in both size and shape; plywood  too thick; not fully laser cut etc.

The castings were as you show them and largely unusable, as you say. I scratch built the stern galleries and got a carved figurehead from Janos. I ended up using the cannon barrels (with a fair amount of work) because I couldn't find anything in the correct size and didn't choose to scratch build them and I used the wheels. I'm looking for a lantern now (sadly, Chuck's are too big).

Bob

Guest Tim I.

Agreed Bob. The scale does make it challenging to find replacement fittings.

I have some time to deliberate on what I want to do with this kit. I will not start it until I at least finish my PdN. I have been toying with the idea of just setting the kit aside and trying to scratch build it PoB in 3/16" scale because of being able to get fittings from Chuck.

- Tim

Yikes,.... is this typical of most or all of the Model Shipway  kits?.... a lot left to be desired there I'm thinking......

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

I thought you would all like to know that I have heard from Sam. He wants you to know that he is facing further procedures, but is still with us, although unable to do any modeling at this time. He thanks everyone for their concern and support.

Bob

Finally started the new, revised Essex I received in January.  Immediate problem: the plans, instruction book, and laser-cut former are all different.  SOME of the pictures in the instruction book show three lower decks being finished, while others do not.  The longitudinal section on sheet 5 shows the decks, but the former clearly does not include the cut-outs shown in some pictures in the manual.  And although the pictures in the manual show the decks, there is no mention of them in the text.  I assume this is a detail that was eliminated when the kit was revised, and unless advised to the contrary, will ignore them and proceed.

To add to the mystery, I looked at an unrevised manual I download in August, 2014 which is dated August 2013, and found the same problem.  These pages, at least, are the same as in the original manual. (!!!)

Any comments?

Stu

ME is either laughable or sad or both in their inability to carefully proof instructions or even labels for their kits. My Mark one Essex kit label said it was solid hull. Obviously, someone printed off a label from their old Essex kit :huh:. They use reputable,

talented designers then totally screw up on execution. I just don't understand them.

Best

Jaxboat B)

Stu,

Give ModelExpo a call.  The corrected manual may be online.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Mark;

I went on line and downloaded the current manual, but it turned out to be the same one I downloaded last year, vintage 2013.  I think this is ME's way of convincing me I should scratch build.

Anyway, I'll call next week just to hear what they might say.

Thanks again,

Stu

Stu and all that are building Essex,

There is an amazing book available, I have this one in my library.

The book belongs to the series of "Anatomy of the Ship - The 32 Gun Frigate Essex"

Author is Portia Takakjian.

I found this book at Amazon at a price of 12 dollars plus 4 dollar for shipping and handling.

Maybe a book to solve a lot of the mysteries around the kit or even better  - to do from scratch.

Some of the drawings are in scale - some in perspective (no scale)

I.e explaining spar plan, oversized scaled plan of the capstan  - 1:24 scale with all details.

Even a line plan and structural arrangement along with frames is provided for the 30' barge she carried.

I am not considering buying the Essex kit, as I have the Confederacy waiting.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

As noted, I emailed Model Expo earlier this month about getting new parts and have not received any sort of acknowledgement or response. I also noted that I had similarly emailed them in January about the new Essex parts-- again no response. I hope they keep their commitment to the earlier buyers of these kits, but I'm getting a little worried they might not.

Bill M.

Well, based on the success of others in getting correction parts for their Essex kits, I have emailed Model Expo customer service for the corrected parts for my early Essex kit. Assuming I receive them OK, I will have no excuses not to start the kit!

Bill M.

HI Bill,

I was able to secure Essex replacement parts from ME very quickly once they were available (that was another story). A couple of suggestions: if you bought the kit directly from ME include your date of purchase and order number, call directly to find out what the issue is.

Best

Jaxboat B)

• 2 weeks later...

Not having heard anything from ME in response to my email of May 6 asking for replacement parts for my Essex kit, I was getting ready to call them. I went to "my account" on their website to get my Essex kit order information so I'd have it for my call-- when, lo and behold, I see a new order consisting of "misc. parts", dated May 8th in the warehouse about to be shipped. Maybe I'm going to get my replacement parts after all!

Bill M.

FYI:  ME currently has this kit on sale for $249.99 and no shipping.

Talked to John and he "assured" me that most of the issues have been resolved.

For that price I figured with the help of the modelers on this site I can handle any challenges that may arise. So I bought it.

Mercdaddy

Past builds: Corel's Victory, Mamoli's Friesland., Model Shipways USS Constitution, Mantua's San Felipe

Current Project:  USS Syren 

Edited by Mercdaddy27

Update on my previous post:

I received my ESSEX kit from ME yesterday. After going through it I concluded the following:

The Instruction Manual is the old one written by Sam

I believe the drawings are the originals .  They are dated 2013 and have an interesting comment.  The BH drawings are for reference only. If there is a discrepancy in the actual BH's vs. the drawings the actual are correct.

Quality of the wood pieces; Bulk Head Former, BH's etc.. are very good.  Parts list is dated 5/21/2015

The Britannia Castings, Brass and miscellaneous parts are good to very good.  The figure head is usable with a little work. The only poor piece is the Lantern.

I have asked ME for an updated Instruction Manual

It appears that ME has address some of the quality issues discussed earlier.  I look forward to seeing if my conclusions are correct.

Mercdaddy

Past builds: Corel's Victory, Mamoli's Friesland, Model Shipways USS Constitution, Mantua's San Felipe

Current Project; Model Shipways USS Syren

Future Project:  Model Shipways USF ESSEX

Edited by Mercdaddy27

Mercdaddy, If the plans are from the the original kit, be very careful using them. Sam confirmed to me at the time that they were not his final drawings. There are issues of scale, discrepancies between drawings and other problems with them. Good luck, and start a log when you begin the build.

Bob

Thanks Bob

Reviewing your log has made me aware of many of the pitfalls.

Look forward to using your log as a guide to help as I get going. :)

You have certainly build a high end / museum quality piece!!!!

Mercdaddy

Past builds:  Corel's Victory, Mamoli's Friesland, Mantua's San Felipe,  Model Shipways USS Constitution

Current Project: USS Syren

Future Project: USF ESSEX

Today, I received my replacement parts from Model Expo for my early flawed Essex kit. I asked for everything that was updated. Looks like I got a set of all the laser cut wood parts. I assume that all the bulkheads and frame parts are improved. The window parts are clearly an improvement. No metal or cast parts. They did include an instruction book and a "template sheet". Don't know how different this instruction book is from the original till I compare the two. No new plans, except for the mentioned "template sheet". So basically what I got was a new set of laser cut parts and instruction book. This is good as it was the laser cut parts that had me worried...

Bill M.

Edited by kb466

Be careful of the plans!  There is a 1/4" difference in the height of the quarterdeck bulkheads shown on the plans and the new parts; I did my transom windows over as a result.  There are also numerous discrepancies between the manual and the plans, and not just the elimination of the lower decks.  Be sure to read ahead, as you may want to opt for a different sequence in building.

Having said all that, this is going to be a magnificent build.

Stu

Another slightly different subject:  last weekend I toured the replica of the French frigate "Hermione" when it arrived in Jamestown.  It's very similar to layout and construction to "Essex", so go to see it if you possibly can -- it's well worth it.  Just google "Hermione" and you'll get its schedule.  It should be in the Washington, DC area as I post this.

Stu

I was notified by ME that I have a new modified kit, even though I have the old Instruction Manual, original drawings (which I knew they did not update) .

ME also said they eliminated the modifications for the bulkhead former and BH's 6, 10 and 15 to show the lower deck since they are incorrect.  Simple enough to do myself.  Expecting a new manual soon.  Let the fun start.

Mercdaddy

Past Builds: Corel's Victory, Mamoli's Friesland, Mantua's San Felipe, Model Shipways USS Constitution

Current Project: USS Syren

Guest Tim I.

At this point I will only glance at the plans and instruction book when I work on my Essex eventually. I will be using the AOS book and doing the scale conversions as a primary source. As well as referencing Bob's build log for the difficult parts.  ;)

- Tim

Received the new manual a couple of days ago.

Being an old Engineer, did a line by line check with the old manual.

Basically, ME removed all reference to the lower deck construction, updated a couple incorrect figure references, a little better description of the stern/window construction,  and a couple of grammatical changes.

Certainly with the Bob's build log either manual will work well.

Mercdaddy

Past builds:  Corel's Victory, Mamoli's Friesland, Mantua's San Felipe,  Model Shipways USS Constitution

Current Project; USS Syren

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I found this Thread searching for ME Essex. Got a Question through Old/New Kit. I'm from Germany and interested in buying the Essex. The german Importer Krick has only one Kit left in Stock. But I don't know if it's the old one or the corrected Version. So is there any Info on Box or so if it's corrected or not?

Would be bad, if it will be the old one. And asking the Seller for comparing the parts with the plans might be difficult equally sending the Upgradeparts from US to Germany.

Thanks for Help

Steffen

Steffan:

I have a "new" kit, and can find no markings on the box to so indicate.  If you can examine the kit, the "new" one contains revised bulkheads 13 through 22.  These bulkheads will be about 1/4 inch taller than is shown on sheet 1 of the plans.  If they are the same as shown on the plans, it is the old kit.

I hope this helps.

Stu