Tried Arkowood (https://www.arkowood-lossburg.de/). Was looking for a high quality wood supplier in EU, who have at least pear, Castello boxwood and ebony. Looks like I found it! :)

Wood quality:

• Colour variation - very small, wood is finely selected.
  • Thickness deviation: not more then 0.05mm!
  • Finish: very smooth finish, feels like sanded with 300-400 grit.

Other: 

• Custom size milling: no problem with that, if you do not see the right size in their catalogue - just mail what sizes do you need. The price level for custom milled wood looks the same as for the standard cuts they have in catalogue
  • Communication: excellent, I received a reply to my mails in a few hours!
  • Wood cost - looks ok. Hard to compare, but looks on the same level as in US suppliers. However, you save some money on not paying VAT, customs, postage fees and extra shipping, that you are usually paying if ordering from US ;)
  • Payment methods: paypal is accepted.
  • Delivery cost: quite moderate, regular postage price from Germany to other EU country. No feeling like you are getting overcharged for delivery.
  • Processing time: they promised 1-2 weeks, I got the wood in 2 weeks. So quite fast, with correct estimations
  • Packing quality: ok, no damages

The photo of what I received.

Left - swiss pear (steamed pear), center - castello boxwood, right - ebony:

post-5430-0-49849800-1415824578_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Y

Mike,

That's excellent news.  Were you able to find holly?

Steve,

Thanks for keeping the first post in this topic updated.   I'm sure we all appreciate it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been looking at / talking to a great German site you could try.

Put this in Google translate to see it in english

http://www.massiv-holz-werkstatt.de/

They have a huge range and the prices are very good.

It looks like they export to a lot of places also.

I expect to buy some Maple from them soon

Nick

Brunelrussell update:  I looked over some of the German sources but my high school German wasn't good enough to decipher them.  I did manage to find what I wanted at, of all places, Model Expo; they had metric walnut.  I used Paypal once and had problems.  Anyhoo, alls well that ends...well?

Hi brunelrussell

Have you tried http://www.massiv-holz-werkstatt.de/? They have a lot of different wood in all formats, but not sure if they deliver to the US!! As I am from Austria, I always buy my wood there.

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

• 1 month later...

Asked for some samples of wood (Pear and Cherry) from the thewoodrack in the UK. Decent sized samples arrived quickly so I bit the bullet and ordered some Cherry. I preferred the colour althought it was slightly harder to work than the Pear.

Anyway pleasant enough transaction and the wood arrived promptly (ordered Friday PM, arrived Tuesday AM) and the purchased wood matched the sample. 

Here is a picture

post-16389-0-76700400-1463487721_thumb.jpg

Genarally happy (apart from the cost) but I'll let you make your own mind up about the quality because it's the first time I have used non kit wood.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Zoltan,

Sorry, but I have not ordered from this supplier yet as I already have a good stock of Pearwood and some European boxwood. But I'll  likely order from there in the future. I only posted the info for the benefit of any members who might have been interested.

Regards,

Dave :dancetl6:

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a bunch of Maple from them.

The quality was very good, price was the most competitive I found (better than 30% of some quotes)

Delivery took a while.

This was to the UK.

post-4201-0-38021400-1465823346_thumb.jpg

post-4201-0-53012900-1465823347_thumb.jpg

Nick

Edited by pompey2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm adding one here...   http://www.keimlumber.com/exoticwoods   I found it in a buildlog and looks promising.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 6/13/2016 at 2:09 PM, pompey2 said:

I just received a bunch of Maple from them.

The quality was very good, price was the most competitive I found (better than 30% of some quotes)

Delivery took a while.

This was to the UK.

Nick

How did you order Nick, through email alone or did you have to call as well?

• 2 months later...

I would highly recommend people giving Matt at Inlay Banding a look if you are looking for ebony, holly, or other woods:

http://inlaybanding.com

Matt was really great to work with, and did a custom order for me to exact specifications.  He was even able to get ebony sheets down to as little as 0.7mm.  Matt most does work for inlays and veneers, but I think he would make a great resource for ebony and other exotics (along with ebony, he does holly, maple, boxwood, satinwood, maple and others).  Now that Jeff is retired, I would highly recommend Matt is you are looking for ebony or other woods.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Ok, I would like to share my experience buying wood from Massiveholz on line shop which is based in Germany.

All orders need to be made via email and I must say there is a massive variety available. All wood I received so far has been great quality.

I asked initially for some wood samples, 10 strips of various woods 2 x 10 x 1000 mm. Then I placed a large order, however I received more wood in most dimensions (it seems that round everything to multiples of 10!) and some other dimensions were less or missing. I emailed Frank and I received the missing wood but also some more strips I needed and asked to be added on, free of charge.

Packaging was very good and I received all orders within a few days. I would think prices are competitive .

Overall this is an excellent place to buy your wood if you are this side of the pond.

• 6 months later...

For Pear: 

I found some short split pieces at a local supplier of wood to those who smoke meat.

Another possible source -  local tree removal companies.

Any species of Pear works well,  what is sold as Swiss Pear is actually Pyrus communis

that has been steamed to produce a uniform pink color.  It is  European Common Pear 

and is often used as root stock for fruit bearing varieties.  What you will likely find here

is Bradford or a similar ornamental or a fruit bearing variety.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I mostly see Swiss pear and pear sold as slabs.  It isnt impossible to get 8/4 or even 12/4 stock but its not easy.

Try calling Gilmer.  They have great stuff and if you dont see it on their site they probably still have more on the premises. 

https://www.gilmerwood.com/categories/38-boards-and-blanks/products?utf8=✓&filter=Pearwood&category=

Chuck

I'm still working off a pear slab that I got from righteous lumber (http://www.righteouswoods.com/) about 10 years ago.  They are still in business.  I bought 4/4, but they had 8/4 and thicker (can remember if it was 10/4 or 12/4)  as well.  When I purchased from them, I lived in MA and picked out my piece and drove home with it.  I think they ship.

I have also been very impressed with Gilmer wood.  I just bought a couple of pieces of boxwood from them.  If you order from them, call them and tell them what you are looking for.  I had planned to buy two pieces that looked good in the pictures on their website.  When I spoke with them and explained I was building model ships, they said the pieces I was interested in weren't good enough, and if I was OK waiting, they would contact me when they had better.  They emailed me about 8 weeks later.  What I ended up getting was really beautiful - great color, tight grained, very uniform.  I was really impressed with the service.

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Small correction: Arkowood changed the website to https://www.arkowood-lossburg.de/

To moderators: could you please edit the first post to adjust the URL? Thanks! :) 

• 4 months later...

I found this site in USA with a selection of domestic and exotic wood (one store located in florida).

https://www.rockler.com/wood/domestic-lumber

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I checked several of the sites listed but didn’t have much luck finding milled strips for ship building, specialty in millimeter sizes. This three is from 2013, anyone have more current suppliers for model grade exotic strip wood?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 5 months later...

Since the above didn’t yield any results I won’t hold my breath, but I’m looking for some 5mm (or 1/4”) square stock that I can use for a bowsprit (also open to wood type suggestions). I don’t have a saw and my initial attempt at planing a dowel down didn’t work. I’m also open to using this as an excuse to buy a saw and go with sheets instead...

I have been happy with the cherry from ModelExpo ..

They have some 1/4 square..

Of course, if you get a saw, cutting from sheets will be a better value..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Don’t tell my wife but I ordered a table saw 🤫... (just kidding she knows). I’m not certain if they’ll be too light but I picked up some Holly thins to try a go at the bowsprit.