There is a site that sales exotic woods from 1/8"  to 1" and a width from 1" to 3-6" and what ever length . if they don't have they will get it.

www.thinwoods.com/Wood-selections_c_16.html . It is a small business that I enjoy going to for my list of woods needs, I hope you check out the site. The business is in North Carolina and they do ship. Give them a look at.

I must have missed something about this company or their website: What do they offer in the way of thin wood of all the species they show??? Do I really have to call them to find out that all they have are large planks???

Pardon the delay, you caught me on vacation. I have now updated the list with his information. Prices look very good so I may have to give him a try myself.

I have found wood in the strangest places. Even Ace Hardware. Most hobby stores have some variety. The trouble comes when you need millimeter stuff and only find inches. Good luck

flying_dutchman2 likes this

I'm tossing this one out.  It may not help anyone outside the States but I've spent some time on it testing it and it seems to do what it's advertised to do... find a supplier(s) for a given species of wood.   Do note that the hobby type operations, Micromark, Model Expo, The Lumberyard, etc.  are NOT part of this.  But it will lead you places you can get billets and even milling.

http://www.woodfinder.com/

Does anybody know where to buy Holly in EU/UK? Or it might be sold under different name?

It is also hard to google it, because all search engines are sure that I just did a typo in a word "Hollywood". Facepalm!  :angry:

Edited by Mike Y

Tried Arkowood (http://arkowood-shop.de). Was looking for a high quality wood supplier in EU, who have at least pear, Castello boxwood and ebony. Looks like I found it! :)

Wood quality:

• Colour variation - very small, wood is finely selected.
  • Thickness deviation: not more then 0.05mm!
  • Finish: very smooth finish, feels like sanded with 300-400 grit.

Other: 

• Custom size milling: no problem with that, if you do not see the right size in their catalogue - just mail what sizes do you need. The price level for custom milled wood looks the same as for the standard cuts they have in catalogue
  • Communication: excellent, I received a reply to my mails in a few hours!
  • Wood cost - looks ok. Hard to compare, but looks on the same level as in US suppliers. However, you save some money on not paying VAT, customs, postage fees and extra shipping, that you are usually paying if ordering from US ;)
  • Payment methods: paypal is accepted.
  • Delivery cost: quite moderate, regular postage price from Germany to other EU country. No feeling like you are getting overcharged for delivery.
  • Processing time: they promised 1-2 weeks, I got the wood in 2 weeks. So quite fast, with correct estimations
  • Packing quality: ok, no damages

The photo of what I received.

Left - swiss pear (steamed pear), center - castello boxwood, right - ebony:

post-5430-0-49849800-1415824578_thumb.jpg

Mike,

That's excellent news.  Were you able to find holly?

Steve,

Thanks for keeping the first post in this topic updated.   I'm sure we all appreciate it.

GLakie likes this

2015 We have new source for our wood. It is Crown Lumberyard and they should be added to this list. Especially since it is pinned.

Hobby Mill no longer supplies our needs but Jason at Crown Lumberyard has shown me that his products are as good as Hobby Mill's.

If any of you are in the Dallas, Texas area try Wood World.

www.woodworldtx.com

I do woodworking as a hobby and buy a lot of wood from them.

mtaylor likes this

Jay, I am trying to navigate to Crown Lumberyard but I am unable to find them. Do you have their web address?

JD

Modeler12 likes this

http://www.crowntimberyard.com/

From their website:

Crown Timberyard offers the finest milled Hardwoods to  the hobbyist.  Specializing in Castello Boxwood, Swiss Pear, and Holly

Welcome to Crown Timberyard!  

We offer model ship builders and hobbyist premium scale milled hardwood in three traditional woods, Castello Boxwood, Swiss Pear, and Holly.  We also offer our milling services in many other domestic and exotic wood species.  Our products are available in milled sheets and strips in stock sizes.   We also accept custom orders to mill these woods to nearly any dimension.

Archi, mtaylor and Canute like this

Jay, I am trying to navigate to Crown Lumberyard but I am unable to find them. Do you have their web address?

JD

Sorry, as was pointed out it should be Crown Timberyard.

Canute and mtaylor like this

Does anyone use alder for their models? I recently carved a figurine using alder and it was a pleasure to work with. But the grain is plenty visible so I imagine that is the drawback.

JD

mtaylor and Canute like this

I have used Alder on a couple of builds and will use it again. I have used it for frames, planking, and fittings as it does carved well. Where it will show it gets painted. Up here in the Northwest there use to be many alder mills and one could get planer ends by the truck load.

Hi guys, this is brunelrussell.  I have just tried to order some metric walnut for the Great Eastern from three English sources and couldn't get my credit card accepted at any of them.  I really need this stuff!  I may try a German site next. Has anyone else had this problem?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Have you tried a PayPal debit card?  That works for me on sites that PayPal does not directly allow.  Do the UK vendors ship to the US?

On 3/17/2016 at 3:55 PM, brunelrussell said:

Hi guys, this is brunelrussell.  I have just tried to order some metric walnut for the Great Eastern from three English sources and couldn't get my credit card accepted at any of them.  I really need this stuff!  I may try a German site next. Has anyone else had this problem?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

What sources?  Have talked to them?  Since you're in the States, have checked with Crown Timbers and Wood Project Source?  I know Crown will cut metric and I think (but not sure) that WPS will also.

Canute likes this

Brunelrussell update:  I looked over some of the German sources but my high school German wasn't good enough to decipher them.  I did manage to find what I wanted at, of all places, Model Expo; they had metric walnut.  I used Paypal once and had problems.  Anyhoo, alls well that ends...well?

Hi.

Just a update on the UK site twigfolly is now directing us to www.thewoodrack.co.uk.

Look's to be the same person with a new company name.

Nice range of timbers for people here in the UK and Europe.

http://www.thewoodrack.co.uk/

Regards Antony.

Edit added a link to site.

Edited by AntonyUK
mtaylor and Canute like this

Thanks for the notification Antony.

It appears Dennis Nixon has finally retired.I don't know if the company linked to has taken over his workshop and renamed the business or it is a completely independant company.I suggest if anyone orders some timber from the woodrack,then report back with their findings.It may be a little while before I order anything as it was only just before Xmas that Dennis custom cut a mountain of Pear strip for my Nuestra build.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Canute, AntonyUK and mtaylor like this

I went to the HobbyMill website. They have a note that they are no longer taking orders. I guess they've gone out of business. Does anyone know about that?

Yes,  Jeff announced last year that he was retiring at the end of 2015.  He ran a clearance sale a couple of weeks ago to get rid of his leftover inventory.  

Canute likes this