Wintergreen

So Where Do You Do Yours Then (Model making That Is)

Where do you do yours then?  

517 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you do yours then?

• On the kitchen table.
    • On the living room table.
    • Other living area facility.
    • In the basement.
    • In the attic.
    • In the garage.
    • In a workshop.
    • In the patio (yes, I've seen it before).
    • Other...

This was one of my favourite logs from the old forum and I just HAD to restart it.

Please post pictures of your working area along with a  description. It is so refreshing to see how different we have set up our man (and woman) caves.

tasmanian likes this

In the living room, which at this moment is cluttered with about six biggish cardboard boxes containing tools, paints, glues, fillers and The Kit.

I've decided to buy an extra piece of furniture, which will take about six biggish boxes-worth of  (see above).

It won't be enough ...

Kenb and The bomb like this

How grand some of your places are, for myself I work off my multi purpose desk.

Here I am hard at work, photo sneaked by my wife when she hadn't heard from me for some hours and wondered if I was still breathing. :rolleyes:

diary%2520p2.jpg

Sometimes the place gets a tad messy :wacko:

015.JPG

when I reach the point I can't stand it anymore I have to have a general tidy up.

Then there's my shipyard assistant to contend with.

029.JPG

Only just started his apprentice-ship, and still very much a waister, but he'll learn :ph34r:

This was also one of my favorite threads previously.  I enjoy seeing everyone’s work-spaces even though most of them made me jealous.

Unfortunately I build on the end of the kitchen table with everything stuck in the corner.  Don’t know how long this will be like that until the Admiral finally snaps :D .  Hopefully in the foreseeable future a spare room turned into a hobby room is planned.

Cheers

Slog

post-273-0-93743200-1360988779_thumb.jpg

Remco - I know the IKEA is found world wide, but it is equally fun to spot some of their stuff in pictures from "out there"

Pete38, at least you have a consistent colour scheme - black and yellow ;)

and Daniel, no it does not sound manly at all, but who CARES :D you could always try to expand your area, like, lets say Swedens Karl XII, or Napoleon (walking the mountains with elephants, what was he thinking?)

Cheers to ever one that shares their spaces, we all can benefit from it with all the different approaches and so. Stealing with pride, as we say at my work (oops, sorry for that foul word, it just slipped out)

Håkan, sure I'm a fan of IKEA they make great stuff, there's a lot more from them to be found in my house. It's a real shame they don't make the little wooden drawers any more, they are great to store tools and stuff.....

Remco

WOW Dan, that is tiny.  But it's all relative to the size of the ship you are working on and you, my friend, turn out some amazing ships in a bottle using this space.  ;)   See you Saturday at the club meeting.

Daniel, no it does not sound manly at all, but who CARES :D you could always try to expand your area, like, lets say Swedens Karl XII, or Napoleon (walking the mountains with elephants, what was he thinking?)

Hakan trouble is that means I'd be having to march on the Admiral and we all know how that goes.  It would be easier taking elephants over the mountains.  Hopefully in the next few years I can get into a house with a garage.  :D

WOW Dan, that is tiny.  But it's all relative to the size of the ship you are working on and you, my friend, turn out some amazing ships in a bottle using this space.  ;)   See you Saturday at the club meeting.

Thanks Bob.  That's true for what I build it works well.  See you in a couple hours.  

After 2 years on a small desk in my den, I started acquiring too much stuff to make it workable. Last Spring, I moved to the basement...bought a couple benches, and now have a Byrnes saw, a scroll saw, and Proxxon mini lathe....just the big stuff. Only downside is that it is cold and damp.

Oh to have a dedicated room upstairs.

I work in two car garage. Hot in summer and cold in winter. It also gets used as storage for all the stuff the my wife thinks should go from the house. Still need a bit of sorting out and getting some of the big tools in a place they can be used easily. All the power tools are under covers at the moment as I have been doing a bit of sanding. All the cabinets are built in place and the benchtop is laminated from scrap timber. Most of the work is done on the bench in the centre and put away at the end of the day - or when glue has dried. The other end that is not in the pics is getting cleared so the pool table can be set up.

20130217145535.jpg

20130217145609.jpg

Saw bench and vacuum unit. There is a stack of logs under the router table in the process of drying.

20130217160618.jpg

Jdiaz and cristikc like this

I used to do it in the living room on a little rolling table.  I'd take over part of the coffee table when I could and eventually got a hold of a small round table to add to the mix.  Then we moved and now I work out of a spare room/den/bedroom.  Right now I'm not doing much due to back issues but the healing is going well and I hope to be back at it soon.  For now I can work on re-posting my Build Log, a mixed blessing sort of thing  ;)

post-518-0-50944600-1361083656_thumb.jpg

The most recent shot I have of the set up.  Another shelf has been added since then, I'll try to post a more current photo as soon as possible. To the left of the computer desk you can see the old work table covered in stuff.

hopeful, Jdiaz and Ray1981 like this

I managed to get myself a corner in our study. It's not much so I have decided to make my models smaller. When the kids finally move out (if ever) there may be another bedroom or even half the garage could be set up to make my masterpieces. Until then this will have to do. The photo attached is an old one I had on file but little has changed.

post-324-0-53403000-1361098940_thumb.jpg

Ray1981 and Jdiaz like this

Clean work. In my study.

Dirty work. In the garage.

Dirtier or dusty work. In the garden (or, with special permission in inclement weather,in the conservatory.)

More to the point...where am I going to put it when it is finished?

Mike.

sarge likes this