Wintergreen

So Where Do You Do Yours Then (Model making That Is)

Where do you do yours then?  

553 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you do yours then?

• On the kitchen table.
    • On the living room table.
    • Other living area facility.
    • In the basement.
    • In the attic.
    • In the garage.
    • In a workshop.
    • In the patio (yes, I've seen it before).
    • Other...

On 1/11/2019 at 3:25 PM, John Allen said:

the chainsaw is a tool of last resort. To be used when sending a build to the boneyard that did not turn out well.

A modelers outlet for frustration and revenge, and a mental feel good moment. 

Probably scare the hell out of the wife (de ja vue the shining)

The chainsaw is for ultimate scratch build projects. Balsawood doesn't grow here, so I have to start from a balsa log. Have to admit that shortcut, but I can live with it.

Those busted projects are torched in a stake with cursing and banning never to happen again.

PS. Take that with a big grain of salt...  😁

Edited by MHo
Oululaiset ällyytykset on vitsejä joita tyhymät ei tajua ensinkään, ja viksut vasta vähän ajan päästä.

Ah... now I get it. Not just being stored there but useful also.   No chainsaw here, just a heavy mallet.  Something satisfying about using it on pieces that didn't turn out well.

50 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

fireplaces are wood burners, not gas

Wow, I'm surprized! I have seen apartments with gas fireplaces but not wood. but then I probably have not lived in an apartment in over forty years! Are they converted Condos?

Nope, not converted condos.   These apartments were built in the early-mid 70's.   Cast iron fireplaces and chimneys.   Nice places actually some wooden floors in the kitchen/dining area, linoleum in the bedrooms and carpet everywhere else.  I have a 2 bedroom.  Bath/shower, bedrooms upstairs (the master bedroom is the workshop) and everything else downstairs.  I really like the place.

I thought I did, Per.  Well.. here goes.

First the shop area.  Everything shoehorned into place.  Including the large closet.  A bit cramped but I like it.

DSCF3011.thumb.JPG.bb378f9f0eee0e5c0c95746e65e8b3a7.JPGDSCF3012.thumb.JPG.213b062b60fa9cd4f09f7f54da7fa95a.JPGDSCF3013.thumb.JPG.aed85619dcc339c63088370c150f984b.JPG

And then there's fleet in the living room.  The afore mentioned fireplace is to the extreme right, with a bit of the hearth showing.

DSCF3014.thumb.JPG.64331aafe3d44e22124de0b98aa73c86.JPG

I have over-run my building area with far too many future projects (kits and supplies). These pictures will give you an idea of how many kits are stashed in just this area. 

There is a huge garage in my back yard, but I have a major cleanup and renovation underway which will include climate control when it's finished because without it, model kits have a very short lifespan. Too much heat and humidity without climate control. Even still, there are lots of nice things stored back there now.

DSCN1927.JPG

DSCN1928.JPG

DSCN1929.JPG

DSCN1931.JPG

DSCN1930.JPG

DSCN1933.JPG

DSCN1934.JPG

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I thought I did, Per.  Well.. here goes.

First the shop area.  Everything shoehorned into place.  Including the large closet.  A bit cramped but I like it.

DSCF3011.thumb.JPG.bb378f9f0eee0e5c0c95746e65e8b3a7.JPGDSCF3012.thumb.JPG.213b062b60fa9cd4f09f7f54da7fa95a.JPGDSCF3013.thumb.JPG.aed85619dcc339c63088370c150f984b.JPG

And then there's fleet in the living room.  The afore mentioned fireplace is to the extreme right, with a bit of the hearth showing.

DSCF3014.thumb.JPG.64331aafe3d44e22124de0b98aa73c86.JPG

Very nice setup you have Mark...… Do you have a humidifier in the room for constant moisture content?

You warm my heart Craig

AT LAST there is someone who has matched my hoarding instinct and has ratholed at least as many kits as I have! I feel better now, not so lonely. I even have the EXACT same desk that you have on the right side of picture #3. and I do mean EXACT, even to the handles.

8 minutes ago, lmagna said:

You warm my heart Craig

AT LAST there is someone who has matched my hoarding instinct and has ratholed at least as many kits as I have! I feel better now, not so lonely. I even have the EXACT same desk that you have on the right side of picture #3. and I do mean EXACT, even to the handles.

When I finish my garage renovations, I will move the vast majority of all that pile, including the desk and curio cabinet to the right of it, out back. Until then, I have to just live with it as it is. You should have seen my garage in the late 90's and early 2000's. I literally had thousands of model kits back there, and sold at least 90% of them. That was when Ebay was in it's heyday, good for buyers and sellers. 

Before the model kits, I built hot rods in that garage. Eventually, my back and knees couldn't take the kneeling and bending any more. Lungs got a little sketchy from all the automotive painting and bodywork, too. Glad I quit doing all that when I did. It would have probably done me in.

I can remember those days when I thought nothing of putting the nose of the car into the garage, yank the engine/transmission with nothing but a beam and a comealong. Push the car back out and do a complete engine/clutch rebuild while it all sat on the bench and floor and plop it back in. Those days are long gone for me as well.

Although my shop is spacious compared to most members, I am just as cramped because of my wheelchair.  Sometimes I feel like a bull in a china shop with all the room required for me just to move around, especially when backing up!  It may be quite a while before I will risk using the power chair down there as it definitely can't stop on a dime when using it under power!  I caaaan use it manually, but since I can't reach the wheels to maneuver, I can only use my feet.  The wheels don't swivel like a chair, so it makes moving the chair around a very cumbersome task.