I am building Model Shipways Bluenose (3/16" =1'-0") and puzzled by lack of info regarding anchor rigging. The anchor cable shows going from the anchor to the hawse pipe but nothing beyond that. I assume that it proceed onto the deck to the winch, but after that I haven't a clue as to what happens. In one of the pictures it looks like it might be coiled up on the deck, but I doubt that.

Does any one have the knowledge of what is going on with the cable???

Fred

I beleive that after the windlass it would go below deck through a scuttle or hatch, check you deck plan and see what is in that area. There might be a small amount coiled on deck to allow for initial release. I'm not sure if the cable will be on the windlass when lashed in place to the rail though, that is usually rigged when hauling, but allowed to run free for a drop.

Not to add to the complexity, but I would have guessed Bluenose would have used chain. Some schooners had a wooden open toped box on deck in which the chain was flaked out, standing after the windlass. But I do not know the Bluenose or her layout and maybe she used a rope cable and not chain at all.

Fred,

Though I, haven't researched this aspect yet (still tied up in rat lines), the plans do show an open chain box. No further details are given. If you search for "Bluenose" find the Nova Scotia archives for photos by W.R. MacAskill. You should find photos from around 1940 showing deck details the chain box is clearly seen behind the engine box. Here is the link http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/bluenose/archives.asp?ID=193

Dave B

Edited by DBorgens

Thanks for asking the question, Fred, and to Dave for looking up the photo.  I see another thing to be built in my future :)

Bob

Hello Fred;

I, too, am buiding a model of Bluenose 11, my first build. I have been using a lot of information from Bluenose 11, Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners, by L.B. Jenson. On page 111, the anchor chain is shown on the windlass, but no end of the chain is visible. However, on page 55, chain is shown flaked out on deck on the port side against the bulwarks, and appears to be opposite the foremast. There is a notation that states, "Club anchor chain stowed in bottomless wooden box, 4ft. by 4ft. 16 inches deep, laid on planks to protect the deck. A few flakes of chain were lashed down on deck as shown." I do not know how to include the sketch in this note; it doesn't appear all that clear anyway. I hope this helps without adding confusion.

Good luck with your build; my next one will be the Pride of Baltimore 11.

Doug

Fright likes this

I have the same question while I am building fisherman Elsie. Would the anchor chain be around the winch and/or in the chain box on deck when not as sea? I have found no indication of a chain box on any Elsie plans. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Maggie