Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wood Suppliers in Australia

I thought I'd start this topic for places to get wood for our Australian members.

The one I have used previously is Trend Timbers. They have a great selection of many different local, imported and exotic timbers. Their staff is very helpful even though I felt I may have been wasting their time with my minor needs.

Eddie and Cupidoll like this

On the other side of Sydney is Anagote Timbers of 144 Renwick Street, Marrickville.  I've purchased timber from them and found them to be very friendly and helpful to people like us who only want very small quantities.

John

Eddie likes this

I actually discovered Modelers Shipyard http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/

Hobby Mill here in the US was shut down for their winter holiday so I need to get my wood from somewhere else. I found the people at the Shipyard extremely helpful, and they have a wide variety of wood in stock in varying lengths and thicknesses.

They do ship internationally as well, you will pay an extra $30 USD for the shipping, but for me, I chose to do that rather than wait until mid March to begin my build.

Eddie likes this

Hi folks,

If you are a scratch builder, or like to make your own stock timber, then Australian Furnture Timbers in Port Melbourne are also helpful and will allow you to purchase 1 meter lengths.  You will need to be able to resaw/mill the large planks into billets yourself (or find someone to do this service for you).  They have a wide range of timbers and the staff have always been very helpful (no financial interest etc; just a happy customer :))

cheers

Pat

Eddie and PeteB like this

I also use Modellers Shipyard but have found that Cornwall Model Boats in England have a huge range of timber planks and strips in differing species. Their website is http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/ship_fittings.html  

They will cut the timber to 500mm lengths unless you pay about $30 for a courier to deliver it in the original 1m length. That's not so bad if you order a number of planks and strips in one order.

Eddie likes this

Was in Tasmania recently and while at Strahan on the west coast went to see  these blokes:

http://www.tasmanianspecialtimbers.com.au/index.php

They have timber slabs and offcuts of Huon Pine, King Billy Pine, Celery Top pine and other specialty timbers. I ended up buying various off cuts, then walking the 100 metres down the road to the post office and posting them home to myself.  Got about 1.2 linear metres worth of offcuts  of Huon and King Billy pine for  around $40, plus a few bucks postage.

An update, recently went to AFT (post 4) only to find that they had shut down - yet another timber source gone :(

cheers

Pat

mtaylor, Eddie and Canute like this