I thought I'd start this topic for places to get wood for our Australian members.

The one I have used previously is Trend Timbers. They have a great selection of many different local, imported and exotic timbers. Their staff is very helpful even though I felt I may have been wasting their time with my minor needs.

Edited by Dan Vadas

John

"Without ships there is nothing"

I actually discovered Modelers Shipyard http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/

Hobby Mill here in the US was shut down for their winter holiday so I need to get my wood from somewhere else. I found the people at the Shipyard extremely helpful, and they have a wide variety of wood in stock in varying lengths and thicknesses.

They do ship internationally as well, you will pay an extra $30 USD for the shipping, but for me, I chose to do that rather than wait until mid March to begin my build.

Edited by Shaz

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hi folks,

If you are a scratch builder, or like to make your own stock timber, then Australian Furnture Timbers in Port Melbourne are also helpful and will allow you to purchase 1 meter lengths.  You will need to be able to resaw/mill the large planks into billets yourself (or find someone to do this service for you).  They have a wide range of timbers and the staff have always been very helpful (no financial interest etc; just a happy customer :))

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 months later...

I also use Modellers Shipyard but have found that Cornwall Model Boats in England have a huge range of timber planks and strips in differing species. Their website is http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/ship_fittings.html  

They will cut the timber to 500mm lengths unless you pay about $30 for a courier to deliver it in the original 1m length. That's not so bad if you order a number of planks and strips in one order.

Current build: Amati Shamrock V 1:80

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

• 2 years later...

Was in Tasmania recently and while at Strahan on the west coast went to see  these blokes:

http://www.tasmanianspecialtimbers.com.au/index.php

They have timber slabs and offcuts of Huon Pine, King Billy Pine, Celery Top pine and other specialty timbers. I ended up buying various off cuts, then walking the 100 metres down the road to the post office and posting them home to myself.  Got about 1.2 linear metres worth of offcuts  of Huon and King Billy pine for  around $40, plus a few bucks postage.

• 9 months later...

An update, recently went to AFT (post 4) only to find that they had shut down - yet another timber source gone :(

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 3 years later...

Hi guys.

I would like to buy a plank of pearwood but it seems a hard to get commodity here in Australia.

My questions specifically would be as follows.

1 Is English pearwood available in Oz?

2 If not, then can I legally have some sent from the UK ? Bearing in mind The Australian government are not keen on importing untreated raw wood because of infestation.

3. If I cannot get the Pear wood  what would be the next best thing that is like it to work and the colour that is available here in Oz?

If there is an Oz equivelant could you be kind enough to post a pic of what it looks like?

Many thanks.

Pete

You might check with these folks:  

Hearne Hardwoods

They seem to deal in large pieces, but maybe they would work something out with you on smaller pieces..

Here is a US dealer that might ship to Australia:

Cook Woods

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Peter, I googled this wood supplier in Sydney, they say that Pear is “coming soon” but they seem to carry a wood that I have used in place of pear - it has tight grain, is similar in color, mills and finishes very well and is much cheaper per board foot. It is called Makore - here is their web address:

https://www.masterwoodturning.com.au/joinery-species-qmq.html

hope that helps a little? Also I think Myrtle is indigenous to Australia and it would be a wonderful substitute for pear wood.....

Edited by ASAT

Thanks for all your kind responses.

I think the down line for pear wood in Oz is a big fat Zero.

Sohhh....

I rang up Sydney re Makore and they do not have any nor Myrtle.

Well I have worked quite a lot with camphor wood and in fact made a ukulele out of it which sounds pretty good too. So I cut up a test piece 15mm x 2mm thick and wiped over a very diluted layer if French polish.

If I use it I think I will opt for a waxed finish.

I got out my Australian built Japanese planing board and plane and shaved up a test plank.

I will be following Nils's Zeeboot build very closely so as to avoid failure.

His pear planks were 15mm 12mm thick.

So Campfor wood for me here in Oz is not a problem .

I can get a huge plank from Ol mate down the road.

I think it looks okay and it works beautifully.

Smells gorgeous too but not if you are an insect.

So what do you think of Campfor wood to plank a 

Boat?

Pete

20190905_151558.jpg

20190905_151611.jpg

Here in OZ you only need:

Huon pine.

Murray pine. Every bunnings store has this. colour from creamy to almost black. Densest softwood on the planet. Awesome stuff.

Photinia Robusta, the most common hedging here, and it beats box and pear for turning and carving. You will have to age it yourself.  your Microwave oven is good for this.

NZ Kauri. still available even if you have to smash up old furniture.

Cellery top and King billy pine is also good.

Old farm cypress is also plentiful. A bit like NZ Kauri. (timber recyclers love this stuff)

Western Red Cedar is easily obtained and is good if a close grained bit can be found.

Allan

Models finished:  Too many to list.

Current build. Danmark (kit bash)

Than Kim s for that Allan.

The Photinia Robusta sounds good.

But I would not know where to start to find it.

Any ideas please?

I have loads of Western red cedar but I was after a lighter colored wood.

I assume that the building trade pine in Bunnings is actually Huon pine then?

Thanks for all your info.

It has given me more hope.

There is enough good Oz wood around it's just locating it being my problem.

Pete

1 hour ago, Peter Cane said:

Nope. Almost certainly radiata pine - a pretty inferior timber also known as Monterey pine, originated in America but has become the most common building timber in Oz.

Where do you live, Peter? In Ballarat, where I am, a lot of people have fruit trees. The people either side of us both have pear trees, and I've been able to get smallish branches from them when they trim the trees. I also follow the Council tree loppers around and have got hold of plane, ash, elm, oak and walnut (the last one was from the neighbour's tree which died - score!) You might be able to get in touch with commercial tree loppers and see if you can get pear wood from them. Only problem is that you'd then have to wait for it to season - about 12 months for each 25mm thickness.

How much do you need? And in what sizes?

Steven  

Hello Steven.

My plan is to build a Zeesboot the same as Nils.

He has used pear wood for the strakes to plank the sides.

I have not counted them but there appears to be about eight each side 15x 2x 500.

Then I would need enough to plank the decking.

I am busy building Bluenose at the moment so I can wait for wood to season.

It is a good idea to scout around for tree loppers.

It is this kind of lead I need as I dont possess much common sense!!

If I manage to find any, do I cut the log into slices  seal the ends with beeswax and stack them between runners so the air gets to them or just leave the log as is?

I have never done wood seasoning before so all new to me.

I am in Narangba near Brisbane. Queensland 4504.

Pete

3 hours ago, Peter Cane said:

Hi Pete.

The stuff Bunnings have is Murray pine. Australian native pine. Usually sold as decking, fence pickets, and fence posts.

Huon, King billy and celery top are harder to find but it is around.

Here also:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-kg-pack-of-HUON-PINE-Turning-Blanks/163854226854?hash=item26267915a6:g:0eMAAOSwQTNddh-u

Photinia: see here: 

Regarding seasoning: Cut pieces to about 600mm long and just store in a dry place.

For small sections you can "season" it in a microwave. Google "wood seasoning in a microwave"

Regards

Allan

Models finished:  Too many to list.

Current build. Danmark (kit bash)

• 4 months later...

Hoop Pine (often marketed as "Arakaria") is another pale native timber that is pretty nice to work, tight even grain, especially if you select a nice piece. It should be possible to get it from good timber merchants in Queensland. Sort of a poor mans Huon Pine (to which it is distantly related) and sadly without the gorgeous smell that Huon Pine has when you're working it.

If you can find a build products recycler that stocks kauri floorboards, that is also superb, as the recycled boards are often 100 year old NZ kauri, especially the 6 inch wide ones. The only problem is it gets a little brittle with age so it might need care if used for planking. Hoop Pine is probably a better bet for that.

23 hours ago, Tony Hunt said:

Hoop Pine (often marketed as "Arakaria") is another pale native timber that is pretty nice to work, tight even grain, especially if you select a nice piece. It should be possible to get it from good timber merchants in Queensland. Sort of a poor mans Huon Pine (to which it is distantly related) and sadly without the gorgeous smell that Huon Pine has when you're working it.

If you can find a build products recycler that stocks kauri floorboards, that is also superb, as the recycled boards are often 100 year old NZ kauri, especially the 6 inch wide ones. The only problem is it gets a little brittle with age so it might need care if used for planking. Hoop Pine is probably a better bet for that.

I have heard of these beautiful woods but unfortunately I do not have the qualities to source them.

We can speak of ideal timber but to source them is another tack.

Please, if possible, hit me with a supplier.

Thanks for your input.

Pete

Hi Peter

A quick Google search seems to give plenty of options for hoop pine near Brisbane.

https://hurfordwholesale.com.au/

versacetimbers.com.au

bretts.com.au

finlayson.com.au

gardetimber.com.au

wilsontimbers.com

gilltimber.com.au

https://www.creativetimbers.com.au/

To my surprise, I couldn't find any business selling recycled NZ kauri floorboards in Brisbane - they all seem to prefer hardwood flooring. However, there was a nice looking pack on Gumtree up near Maleny - https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kenilworth/building-materials/kauri-pine-floorboards/1219815746

Good luck!

6 hours ago, Tony Hunt said:

Hi Peter

A quick Google search seems to give plenty of options for hoop pine near Brisbane.

https://hurfordwholesale.com.au/

versacetimbers.com.au

bretts.com.au

finlayson.com.au

gardetimber.com.au

wilsontimbers.com

gilltimber.com.au

https://www.creativetimbers.com.au/

To my surprise, I couldn't find any business selling recycled NZ kauri floorboards in Brisbane - they all seem to prefer hardwood flooring. However, there was a nice looking pack on Gumtree up near Maleny - https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kenilworth/building-materials/kauri-pine-floorboards/1219815746

Good luck!

Thank you Tony.

Guess I do not know where to start when it comes to raw wood.

I will go through the list.

Pete