HMS Victory by Eric. C - Caldercraft - 1:72

Hello Eric,

I just found your build log and it looks like you are off to a great start.  Plenty of Caldercraft Victory builders here to help you sort through problems you run into...and believe me there will be plenty!  I find I rely much more on other Victory builders' logs than I do on JoTiKa's instruction manual.

Enjoy your build and welcom to the Victory builders' club!

Patrick

Hi David

You do like giving me a bad time about those linnings. I never did intend to install them it was just an idea on how to make them. I deleted the picture incase someone else gets the wrong idea. I started gluing the patterns on today (will post pictures later) and yes I did glue on shelving first. Good idea. I appreciate you following my log and your comments are welcome. Well most comments "what linngs did you say!!!!".

Cheers

Eric

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my log. It is nice to see the more experienced builders take the time to see how the beginners are doing and offer their assistance when asked. If you ever check my log and see me heading down the wrong road  so to speak, feel free to comment.

Eric

Having trouble with pattern 272 require help. The pictures should be self explanitory; the patter does not want to sit against bulkheads 1,2 &3 properly. Cannot achive the proper curve.The pattern is not glued just pinned in place. Not sure how to correct it.

Edited by Eric. C

Thanks David. If I lay the pattern against the bulkheads then I have to trim alot of the top front edge of pattern 272 and it will not lay over but rather miss bow support #40. I don't think it is supposed to fit this way.

Hopefully someone else can elaborate on this.

Eric

Hello Eric

The problem is probably because the pattern is not laying flat on the bulkheads and the bulkheads needs fairing. you need to sand the front edges of all the bulkheads in this area so the pattern follows the curve around, and the pattern lays flat on the bulkhead if you understand and not on the edge were it will just bend. Fairing must be done. Others will probably tell you exactly how to do it correctly, but don't go any further until you get it sorted DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hi Eric,

Unpin and remove pattern #270. Take one of the planks that you are going to use for your first planking and place it against the bulkheads from the bow to the stern. The plank must lay true - properly - against the bulkheads. If the plank does not you must adjust each bulkhead until the plank does lay true. Either file the bulkhead down a bit if the plank bulges outward or glue a piece of a plank to the bulkhead if the plank buckles slightly inward. Usually the first 3 or 4 and last 3 or 4 bulkheads also have to be beveled for the planks to lie properly. You might also consider filling in the space between the first bulkhead and the bow in order to give the planks more support at the bow and the same goes for the stern with some scrap wood.

From looking at the picture, the second bulkhead- the one with the green pin - needs to be raised and the third needs to be beveled and raised.

Hope this helps,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hi Eric,

This is a common problem and, as others have pointed out, it's mostly a matter of fairing the bulkheads.  I ran into the same issue as you can see from the attached pictures.  I never did manage to get the port side gun port pattern to lie absolutely flat as it curved around toward the bow, but found that once I'd done the first planking a lot of sanding and wood filler fixed the problem.  Once you have it smooth it's all going to be covered up ny the second planking and nobody but you will know how much wood filler is under there!

Patrick

post-470-0-32631300-1383137559_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-07548100-1383137585_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-13071900-1383137665_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-13301000-1383137904_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-77814700-1383163307_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patrick Haw

Hi Patrick,

I have been away for a few days and just started working on the boat again. Thanks for taking the time to attach your pictures and your explination; pictures are worth a thousand words and it is nice to know others have had similar problems. Hopefully I will have the patterns glued on by the weekend and will have started the first planking.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

looking good Eric

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I recomend you to have som fillerblocks in the front and rear.Its esyer to nail the planks then they get shorter.Hope you understand what i mean :)....Take a look at my planking so do you hopefully see what i mean2h34tmw.jpg

Hi Eric,

Just catching up on your build.  Well done on getting your first planking down.  It looks good.  The trick now is wood filler and sanding, sanding, sanding...more wood filler...and more sanding.  Try to get the hull as smooth and shaped as you can and your second planking will go on much easier.  Keep up the good work!

Patrick

Hi Eric,

Congratulations on reaching this point - it is a major milestone! Patrick is right though, the more attention you pay now to filling and sanding, the easier it will be with the second planking.

nice work, it pays dividends to get 1st planking correct, as the 2nd layer makes or breaks the biuld as a finished result, regardless of fitting all those copper tiles, i follow yours and every other victory build with interest, mine is quite happy say on top of a cabinet looking at me

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

David, Patrick, Muggebigge, Grant and Kevin; thanks all for taking the time to look at my log and for the encouragement. The first planking has been a real challenge and I have definately done a lot of sanding and filling and I think I have it pretty close now.

Eric

I don't know how everyone else has done it but the stern has me stumped. I have lined up the side galleries (373)  with the two slots on the gunport pattern  (270 like the manual says to do) and I set up the stern facia pattern (374) so that it appears to sit properly against the stern. As in the pictures the problem is that I cannot get the stern counter pattern (371) to fit. When the stern counter pattern 371 sits up against the stern facia  the bottom edge of the stern counter pattern does not sit flush with the bottom edge of the 7th quarter gallery pattern 220. If I set the stern counter pattern so that it sits flush with the bottom edge of the 7th quarter gallery pattern 220,  I have a gap between the stern facia and the stern counter as in the picture and yet others seem to get a tight fit. Any suggetions to what I have done wrong and how to correcd this issue.

post-6493-0-41742100-1385252350_thumb.jpg

post-6493-0-20900800-1385252398_thumb.jpg

post-6493-0-75412600-1385252417_thumb.jpg

Eric,

Don't worry too much. You're doing fine.  I'd fair and sand those back pieces down a bit so the stern counter sits tighter on them. You'll need a little bit of filler to make it seamless.

Look, this kit is pretty good, but it's not perfect.  They tell you up front that you need a bit of experience.  I'm like you.  I don't have much.  But it's always been a dream to build this ship.  There's a whole bunch of us here trying to figure it out, and a lot who already have. My build is only working because of them. Let's face it, none of our ships is going in a museum, we're building them for ourselves.   Just enjoy your build and make it the best you can.  I'll be following.

Patrick