HMS Victory by Eric. C - Caldercraft - 1:72

I have never been on a forum or done anything like this before so please bear with me.

About 40 years ago I built the Sergal Victory (50In.) and unfortunately I no longer have it. I was over in England this spring and went to see the Victory. I was so impressed that I decided I would like to build it again. So I researched kits and reviewed several builds on MSW and decied to go with the Jotika kit.

I ordered the kit through Rick Shousha and received it on Friday Oct.11,2013. I spent the day checking all the parts against the parts manual and became upset and frustrated with the kit and almost wanting to send it back. The kit was missing the registration form so I have no number to register it (in order to get updates); was missing a walnut sheet of parts (minor in itself for it can be obtained) but more important the kit was missing all eight sheets of brass parts. A couple of walnut strips are broken and not sure about all the bits and bobs in the small cardboard box.

I have been in contact with Rick Shousha and he assures me that all will be corrected. Rick has been very patient with fielding all my emails this weekend.

As my mood improved I started to cut out and fit parts and have come to realize that this is going to be - for lack of a better term - an interesting build.

I am hoping that some more experienced Victory builders read this for I am open to all suggestions, tips, tricks and/or comments.

Still trying to figure out what "Topic Tags" are and how to post pictures.

Hello Eric,

I'm sorry to hear about the kit, but I hope everything will be sorted out soon.

Thanks for starting a buildlog of your Victory. There are a lot of Victory builders here. Besides them are a lot people here who are willing to help and advise and answer any questions you might have. We are all here to help eachother

This topic explains how to add pictures in your posts: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/540-how-to-add-pictures-in-your-posts-and-pms/

In the 'Topic Tags' you can fill in words wich refer to your build. They help identify and find related content.

For examlle 'HMS Victory', 'Caldercraft', 'Jotika', 'Wood', 'scale 1:72' etc.

Go to your first entry and click the 'edit' button. Now you can type in your 'tags'. After typing in each 'tag', hit the enter or return key. When you're finished click on the 'submit modified post' button.

Good luck with your build and happy modeling.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

welcome to the site of victory builders - lol

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

i started mine about 2 years ago, and like several others have lost all the original information posted at the time, by a server crash earlier

this year, so some of the build logs look a little sparse up to that time,as the information had to be reposted., Any information/help required please shout,

Caldercraft are excellent at providing lost/missing parts, especially the flag locker inserts

hope to see your build progress

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Welcome Eric. I bought the same kit several years ago and there was a few parts missing from mine also. CC will send your missing parts along pronto.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Greetings Eric

Welcome to MSW, with another Caldercraft Victory. I think most of the Caldercraft Victory builders kits have had parts missing, but yours takes the biscuit.

You should have no problem as Caldercraft have a very good customer service. I look forward to following your progress over the next few years. Just enjoy your build. Regards DAVID

Ahoy E  :D

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but it sounds like they will be shortly behind you. On the bright side, sometimes it is best to get trouble out of the way right from the start. Especially on a project of this scale.

I too have started the climb (or crawl in my case) up Victory mountain and wish you the best. Mine is a side build for now and a Corel Kit which while still a Vic; is a slightly easier take on this monument.

Looking forward to seeing some pics and your progress. You are at the right place to do this. MSW is the best  :)

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the MSW forum from Down Under!

Sorry to hear of your troubled start but I'm sure it will get rectified soon. I think you have chosen probably the best Victory kit currently on the market and I wish you well with it. While there are a number of CC Victory builds here, and even more from other manufacturers, I do recommend that you have a look through Gil Middleton's build log. I think his is a great guide for any Victory builder, with lots of tips and tricks to guide your way.

I look forward to following your progress.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. I have herad from Rick Shousha that my missing parts are on the way. I am still reviewing the manual but when I start building I will have to figure out how to load up pictures. Actually, can anybody tell me how  to attach the pictures?  Hopefully by next week I will have my build started with pictures.

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Eric 

if i am presenting any photo i drag them into a separate folder and resize them  i use msn office picture manager, that protects my originals.then type in the window and add photos from the re sized folder, works for me

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hull construction continues; attached stern pieces, inserted dummy gun strips and started work on the bow.

post-6493-0-05494800-1382453902_thumb.jpg

post-6493-0-64758700-1382453945_thumb.jpg

My attempt at making a gunport linning jig.

I deleted the picture of my gunport linning jig for I did not want fellow builders to think I am linning the gunports at this time. It was just an idea on how to make a jig to make the linnings.

Edited by Eric. C

Still working on hull construction. Made the cut outs on the dummy barrel strips, painted the gun ports black and finnished adding the bow pieces.

post-6493-0-66018800-1382632258_thumb.jpg

I also added backing for pattern #271 onto bulkhead #17 for additional support.

post-6493-0-54207700-1382632300_thumb.jpg

Not sure how I am going to display the model so I added blocking to the keel incase I drill holes.

post-6493-0-53077500-1382632328_thumb.jpg

post-6493-0-62901900-1382632342_thumb.jpg

Issue with trying to line up patterns 270 & 272. Don't confuse the extra blocking that I added for pattern 271 against bulkhead 17. But, bulkhead 17 shows if I line up patterns 270 and 272 according to the maunal.

Edited by Eric. C

Eric look at page two of my log, im at work now so i don't have a lot of photo here, but i think my bulkhead was either inline with the edge of the gun port or slighty further aft, of the whole build, this part is the most difficult, which for me led into the 2nd most difficult was the stern counter

providng the top piece is in the right position you could always take some of the thickness of the offending b/head, so it cannot be seen

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Nice to see another Vic.Your build looks great....I allso had that proplem lining the gunports.My solution was to gut down a bit on bulkhead 17.Hope you understand what i mean.My English is not so good ;)

Hello Eric

Looks like you have made a fine start on your build. The visible bulkhead ??? Just cut it clear of the gunport enough to allow the gunport lining to fit. Are you fitting shelves around the inside of the gunports before you secure the the linings ? Keep up the good work . DAVID

Hi Kevin, I appreciate you following my build. From what I can see on your log your gunport lined up nicely like in the manual. I think I will have to do what David and the others have suggested and just cut out part of bulkhead 17. I hope that this does not foul me up at a later stage of the build. I can see that the stern is going to be a real challenge.

Eric

Edited by Eric. C

Hi David, the solution might have to be as you suggested. It bothers me that it is like this and will it effect some other part of the build later. As i said to Kevin , the stern is going to be a real challenge.

Always appreciate any help.

Eric