How to make plastic look like wood?

Hello. Not sure if this is the effect you are looking for, but in the head I tried to mimic the look of used bone or ivory. (the pistol is all plastic)

post-975-0-98612400-1454345787_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-61462900-1454345802_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-69269500-1454345829_thumb.jpg

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

That's plastic, Ulises?  I saw the pictures before reading the text and thought they were the real deal.   Well done!!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Ray. Actually my answer was to daves' post 31, because he mentioned ivory.

I appreciate your comment, though! :)

I hope the explanation I gave in posts 9 and 12 help you somehow.

Ulises

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Thank you for your comment,  daves.

I made these 1/1 scale pistols a long time ago. I don't remember many specific details. I remember however using a Floquil paint called "Antique white" which unfortunately is no longer in production. Try searching the web for an equivalent of that paint. I am sure you can find an "Ivory" color among the many paint brands that exist.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

hi Gents,

Back again today i like to share my attampt to apply a wash on a small boat for my Bounty kit. The original should be white but i thought lets try to this technique its the first time ever ive done this and I havent put a matt finish on it yet because I'd like to know others thoughts about this.

There is not much relief on the boat so im in doubt if I should try some dry brush technique as well or maybe others have better ideas. I used first a email paint matt brown with a little bit matt white than a gloss finish and loet it dry. After that i took some water paint and brush it onthe boat and let it dry a bit. Than I diped with a wet cloth to smooth it out.

Please let me know your thoughts I would be happy to hear what others think about this.

Grtz Ray

post-23820-0-19783900-1455456607_thumb.jpg

post-23820-0-42484300-1455456622_thumb.jpg

Ray, your colors looks good. I can't tell if you had any wood grain cast into the plastic to help with doing dry brushing. Graining helps, but you can still do some without the grain effects.

For the next time you have smooth plastic, run a suede brush or similar and lightly scratch the plastic length-wise to impart a grain effect. Don't get too carried away and make deep scores; you just want a hint of wood grain. In lager scales, say 1/24 or 1/32, you could also drag a fine bladed Xacto saw blade along for a similar effect.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to add to this thread when doing a wash with oil paint. I saw on Youtube a vid where someone put the oil paint on a cardboard for a while 30min or so. All the oils will be absorbd by the cardboard and you are with almost only pigment. THis makes the oil paint dry faster. Maybe a usefull tip I havent tried it yet but I will try it when starting to paint my deck.

Grtz Ray