Tying tiny knots!

SteamWake

Hello again friends,

Topic pretty much sums it up. I know knots, square, double half hitch, bowline, etc. but when it comes to tying them with tweezers I am a bit befuddled.

I also have issues with the knots staying tied.

If you could point me to hints, tips, tools, and tricks I would be very great full !

Hello there...

I can not show you how to tie small knots, since to be honest, I don't see the difference of tying them with your hands or tweezers. A knot is a knot, and the only difference is the thickness of the thread you are using. If anything, make sure you use pointed tweezers able to hold those tiny pieces of thread and hold them under stress, aka when you are pulling them. Tweezers to pluck eyebrows work very nice. Look for the fine stuff, not the el cheapo.

Also, make sure you have enough thread in your hands so you are able to handle the knot-tying. Thread is the most wasted resource in our hobby: You need a ridiculously large piece of thread to tie a very tiny knot, and then you snip off 99.99% of the thread.

Here's a trick to prevent your knots from untying. Go to a music store and buy a cake of rosin. That's the stuff violinists use to rub their bows with. Rub your line several times over that cake on the area where you estimate the knot will be. Make sure the knot is where you want it... once done and tight, you will never be able to undo it. 

As a bonus, the smell of pine rosin is delightful.

A perhaps simpler trick, is to put a tiny drop of diluted white glue, or FLAT lacquer on your knot. I'd suggest you never use CA for securing your knots.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I suggest you GOOGLE "Instrument Ties" There are a number of video hits showing how to tie knots in tight places using surgical instruments and a small amount of thread. Really all you need is a couple of readily available hemostats. A little practice and you will tie knots like a surgeon.

Good luck

Bill Lell

Birmingham, Alabama

Very cool many thanks, might I suggest googling "Surgical instrument ties" as "Instrument ties" comes up with a bunch of neckties with instruments on them :)

Here is a good one I found, Lo and behold I've been holding the hemostats wrong after all these years !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-smZKFnC-U8

Thanks for the YouTube on knots; I have wondered about that for years (I'm not a surgeon). 

Echoing a prior post, do NOT use CA glue on rigging lines.  Instead use diluted white glue, or sometimes I use a fixament that fly fishing people use when making flys.  I might try the rosin. 

Above all, have fun~!

Duffer

Thanks for some very interesting guidelines. Why is CA such a transgression when rigging?

I found a clear version of Elmer's that works pretty well.

I'm building the masts for my Syren so any rigging hints are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

• 2 years later...

Guys; I'm new to the forum (and ship building) and reading this great thread in 2016. I'm currently building the Ranger. Are there any new tips on tying and which glue to use? My knots are terrible and I must confess that I use ca for glue (because it is fast). Any suggestions or updates! Thanx.....Milo

• 4 weeks later...

I do love CA glue for a lot of my build but after using it on a ships rigging years ago I will not do that again. I'm not as concerned with not being able to untie the not as often by the time I realize I have messed up the threads have been trimmed and the only solution is to cut through the knot and start over. The white residue that it leaves behind is the main reason I dislike it. Watered down white glue does take longer to dry, (heat guns can help speed this up if it's in a critical spot) but as it dries clear without leaving a film it is much better. Plus If I am doing a lot of knots in one sitting I like to make a small puddle of the glue that I can dip the tip of a toothpick into so I do not get an excess of glue on the knot or small part.

I have not tried rosin but, I will be calling my cousin who is a musician and plays the violin to see if he has some I can try or where locally I can buy some. I have always used beeswax and have been happy with the results it gives.  

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

There's also fabric glue available at some arts/crafts stores and many yard goods (sewing) type shops.  Also matte varnish works well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)