Byrnes Rope Walk

I am presuming quite a few people have now taken delivery of their Byrnes rope walks.

I am still struggling to get mine to look like rope. All the hand made rope walks I have seen - and their finished products look really good.

I KNOW it is my use of the machine - but I am just not getting any better at it! I am probably missing something so easy and simple its not funny...

So any (step by step) tutorials and tips would be greatly appreciated. Dont presume anything is so obvious it doesnt need to be said - to me at least :)

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Hi Meredith, Brian is referring to me :)  - shoot me a PM and I will pass contact details.  It will be interesting to discuss this as I have similar issues.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

If you're having problems with the machine here are a few things to look at.

1 Make sure all 3 supply spools are wound the same direction and placed on the spindles the right way for the type rope you are making. It makes a difference.

2 Make absolutely sure you have the correct die size for your finished size rope. The hole in the die should be no more than a few thousandths larger than the finished rope. It should be an effort to get all 3 threads through the die when setting up the machine.

3 Make sure you are spinning the head in the correct direction. CCW for left hand rope and CW for right hand.

4 Go slow and keep the rope forming as close to the die as you can.

Jim Byrnes

Model Machines

See the attached drawing for left hand rope set up. Right hand would be opposite. Most if not all store bought thread is wound right handed so you will be making left handed rope to start

Rope initial set up.pdf

Edited by Jim Byrnes

I THINK I've got it!

I definitely had them all wound the other way. I knew it had to be something so simple!

Another few questions -

1.  how long do you harden the ropes for?

2. The instructions mention that for different size ropes - you can move the die and guides - closer or further away from the spinning parts. Which way is which (eg smaller ropes closer - larger ropes further away??) I havent actually had an experiment with this bit so far - as of all the allen keys I have and sets - I cant find one to fit :) I shall look harder - I have quite a few sets of them.

I will make some more - let it harden off and try to take some photos......

So Joy of Joys - I think we have rope :) :) :)

Edited by Meredith

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

I have just made 3 different diameter ropes... the silk one is tiny - I very much doubt I will be able to photograph it (maybe my partner might be more sucessful - I will ask). Of course it will then be suitable to use to make LH ropes too.

The other two ropes are cotton - I will work out the finished diameter and TRY and take pics. I never used to have much trouble taking close up phtos of fabrics/individual threads etc - but I am struggling at the minute - not sure what I am doing wrong - its the same camera!

Going off to try the thickest thread I have - and see how that looks... I will try and be back with photos today.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Hello all. I was also very frustrated today. I made several attempts and did not get anything right. I used several diameters of thread and the result always unraveled. (Left handed rope is that that tightens when you twist it from right to left?) I put the machine to spin CCW. My only doubt is the diameter of the die. It maybe was too loose. Would this cause the rope to unravel. It feels like it would need more torsion to keep it together.

Not very happy so far, but I will keep experimenting.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

It took a bit of persuasion, but I convinced my local club to buy one of these babys! As president it will reside with me. (rank does have its privledges). Now I just can't wait for delivery.

Just one question - Jim when will I be able to serve my lines using the rope walk?

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Meredith!!! You are having way better results than me. The good thing is that now I am convinced that it's me not the machine who is getting bad results.

Can you elaborate on what threads sizes you used? Did you try to make one thick line by starting with thin thread and then using that same thread to make a thicker one?

I have followed all of Jim's advise and tips above, but I think my mistake is in the size of the die hole I am using.

@Jim: What if I drilled my dies wrong? Can I purchase some more? And I am sure I will eventually lose one of those plastic washers. Can I purchase some more too?  :rolleyes:

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

I think this is right...

Starting from the left side

.39mm rope made from silk

1.0mm rope - cotton Gutterman 12

.92mm - cotton - crochet/perle

.93  - 6 strands of silk and 3 strands of cotton

1.87 - 6 strands of size 10 perle cotton

1.56 - 6 strands of size 40 perle cotton

.82 - 3 strands of size 40 cotton

I can get the exact brands etc - this is just a rough list - I have a whole lot more to try out. Although in person the 3 strands of cotton and 6 strands of silk is very nice.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Meredith - Where did you source your thread. That is beautiful work! Now I just need a model to Rig. :)

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

I am a sewer from way back... threads is my stuff :)

I will take some photos tomorrow (bit late now) of the different types of threads I have tried - and those yet to try.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

I think this is right...

Starting from the left side

.39mm rope made from silk

1.0mm rope - cotton Gutterman 12

.92mm - cotton - crochet/perle

.93  - 6 strands of silk and 3 strands of cotton

1.87 - 6 strands of size 10 perle cotton

1.56 - 6 strands of size 40 perle cotton

.82 - 3 strands of size 40 cotton

I can get the exact brands etc - this is just a rough list - I have a whole lot more to try out. Although in person the 3 strands of cotton and 6 strands of silk is very nice.

Meredith... what do you mean when you say "6 strands"?

I too have Jim Byrnes Ropewalk and have good success on the rope making. I have found the results vary with the quality of thread and the speed at which you turn it. I have not decided on a thread yet and would be interested in which ones seem to have the best results. I am also interested in how you Harden your rope and how to make four strand rope. Thanks for you pictures.

Geoff

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Instead of just one strand wound on the feeder spools - I used 3 on each spool - 2 strands of silk and one strand of cotton on each spool - x 3 spools.

The three strands on each spool acually twist together before they hit the die and then twist with the other spool feeds... So in fact on some types of threads - I have had better sucess with more than one strand on each feeder spool.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Hi Meredith, that is terrific.  I note though you have only laid up LH rope to date; have you tried RH?

Most interesting noting you can work several strands on each spool.  I had been planning on experimenting with that, but you have saved me the trouble.  Thanks for that great feedback.

I am also considering a trial using a core (back fed spool) using a stiffer or larger rope.  Just need to get my machine back together before I can progress :)  Thanks for the superb service there Jim, much appreciated.

I also would be very interested in any discussion on the best thread to use as I have experimented with Rayon, poly-cotton and silk.  THe Rayon was too weak and kept breaking, but if I could get it to work, I think would make very nice rope.  The poly-cotton has worked best so far but is far more susceptable to stretching and needs more hardening :)  The linen proved very difficult to use and when Jim looked under a sample under a microscope, he said the thread diameter was variable and looked "awful".  That said, it may have just been the brand/type I was trying and may not be true of all silk.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Instead of just one strand wound on the feeder spools - I used 3 on each spool - 2 strands of silk and one strand of cotton on each spool - x 3 spools.

The three strands on each spool acually twist together before they hit the die and then twist with the other spool feeds... So in fact on some types of threads - I have had better sucess with more than one strand on each feeder spool.

Hmmmm I thought of doing that in my very first runs, but somehow I didn't think it would work, so I didn't .

I am just making some shevles for my partners camera cupboard - as soon as I am done I will photograph the threads I have.... I am more than happy with most of them.

Re Rayon - I have about 500 spools of Rayon - and no - it keeps breaking - I tried it as soon as I got the machine.  Good silk will give you a stronger/better effect and doesnt break. I have about 5 different types of silk on spools (many others in hanks - but I wont bother with those) - so far no problems with the silk.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Meredith

I find I have much more control on the slow speed. I think the key is to keep the twisting part of the rope in front of the die. As long as the twisting part remains there I feel I am at the right speed. It takes a little timming to get a feel for it. Give it a try.

Geoff

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Same here Meredith. I made another trial today, changing the die for a smaller one and reducing the speed. This is the result and it's very encouraging! (If only the rope was as clear as my fingerprints)  :rolleyes:

Morope, here I come!!! :D

post-975-0-13267700-1361409024_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

I knew we would all get there eventually :)

Here are some photos of the threads I have...

The crochet threads: They range in size from "5" to "100"  (100 being finest)

threads1.jpg

threads2.jpg

Bit of a mess

threads3.jpg

This Rasant - a corespun polyester cotton  - its not too bad as poly goes...

rasant.jpg

Now onto the silks:

The Gutterman is nice - thicker than the YSL and Daruma

silk1.jpg

silk2.jpg

silk3.jpg

Some Gutterman cotton - 2 sizes - a 12 and a 30 (30 is smaller)

gutterman12.jpg

gutterman30.jpg

King Tut Egyptian cotton - very nice:

kingtut1.jpg

kingtut2.jpg

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Meredith are we seeing into another world here? You have an impressive collection!

Edited by Floyd Kershner