Francis Pritt by Jim Lad - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Australian Mission Ship

Nicely done John, that looks one fragile piece to work on mate, good job you pinned it. Steady as she goes.

Will you have a contrast in wood colours when you get to the deck planking John. I think that would look really neat.

Looking forward to your next update mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi John,

I have a 60' length of Privat here mate, I can send you some if you like. Just need to go out with the pruning shears. :D

Have fun mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Hello Jim

All very interesting & enjoyable, I hope to start a build soon & as a novice this is very helpful to see your method. Have you seen Jack Earl's log of the Kathleen Gillet voyage? There are some beautiful drawings of luggers, some up on the slips. thank you, I look forward to following this

MP

I hadn’t heard of a 'counter rim frame' but it looks quite useful.  It's always a joy to see your posts.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

She's really taking on the her true shape now John, nice work.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

that's a pretty careful fit John ;)    looking at it,  I see that it's a bit of a deficit,  that the stern stem doesn't butt up to it underneath,  so it would have something to rest on.   I wonder if it's not within the typical construction specs of these vessels.......if it were,  you certainly would have done that.  the last picture is interesting........at that angle,  it already is.....it just falls short of doing so.  very nice work...the hull frame looks sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks, all!

Mobbsie - If you have a decent size Privet then how about turning it into lovely timber for your own next build? ;)

Mark - I haven't seen Jack's log.  The only place I can find it is in the National Library, but it sounds interesting.

Bob - As I mentioned, I suspect that the 'counter rim frame' is a piece of pearling lugger technology

Popeye - Yep, still a knee to be fitted there when the counter frame is finally shaped.

John

A bit of extra time at the museum of late has allowed me to get ahead with the Pritt.

The counter rim frame is now roughed in and will stay like this until after hull planking, at which time I'll finish fairing it in properly.

I've also made a start on the deck beams.  Once these are completed I can start to think about planking the hull.

John

post-5-0-97003200-1411250188_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-19558700-1411250193_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-09997300-1411250197_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-48020400-1411250201_thumb.jpg

With the counter framing faired, it is much easier to see the shape of the stern. Very nice work.

Russ

Very nicely done John.  Lovely lines!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

The framing is coming along nicely John, will you be planking the entire hull or will you leave a section open. It seems an awful shame to completely cover your

superb workmanship.

Looking forward to more updates mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

The framing is coming along nicely John, will you be planking the entire hull or will you leave a section open. It seems an awful shame to completely cover your

superb workmanship.

Looking forward to more updates mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

Hi Jim

I agree with Mobbsie.  Beautiful workmanship.  A partially unplanned hull would also be a nice feature if you wished to do so.

Look forward to following along.

All the best!

Thanks for the encouragement folks - both here and via the 'Like' button.

The hull will be fully planked.  If I were going to leave a section open to view then I'd complete all internal details.  I just like building by this method!

John

Hi John

Totally understand.  Regardless of whether it's covered up, or not, fellow modellers like us will appreciate good workmanship whether it's visible or not.

Well done and let's hope you get more time at the Museum to push ahead.

All the best.

Coming along nicely, John.  She’s really starting to take shape.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I like that deck framing.......and I see what you mean now about framing in the counter......well done!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Great pics of the detail you have done in the framing.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

You have done a swell job. Over the years I have found that counters and sterns can be a real bear cat to do right.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Hi John,

Just read thru your FRANCIS PRITT. Very interresting story. I look forward to following your build log. I had time to read thru your log because our bosses were getting tired of us making more money then our 2nd line supervisor's. So they moved us to a new time and tracking system. We are now in the one dog one bone effect. Another wards has slowed us up greatly. So now I can have a little time to modeling "I HOPE". So that is why I have time to catch up on some reading here. HAHAHA! i think a lot of reading to do.

Happy modeling my friend

MARIO :cheers:  :D 

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

This will be the last update for a while as we're off on holiday next week.

I'm continuing to fit deck beams in the Pritt.  I had hoped to get more done yesterday, but as it's school holidays here the museum was pretty crowded with lots of people stopping to see what I was doing and to ask questions.

It's a little hard to see what's been happening in the photos as all the wood is the same colour, but I think these two show best what the current state of play is.

John

post-5-0-43842700-1412213554_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-15531200-1412213559_thumb.jpg

awesome workmanship John!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: