Francis Pritt by Jim Lad - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Australian Mission Ship

I currently still have the ‘Francis Pritt’ in the planning stage – currently working on the hull lines – but she should be ready to start making sawdust in a couple of weeks (says he hopefully).

In the meantime, here’s a bit of an introduction.

A (very) brief history of the evolution of T.I. luggers

The pearling industry at Thursday Island (known almost universally as T.I.) started as far back as 1870 using smallish lug rigged boats that had previously been used in the beche-de-mer fishery.  The later type of pretty ketch rigged boats were introduced into the T.I. fishery sometime after 1876, by James Clarke, a local entrepreneur, who is thought to have had the first of these type of boats designed and built in Sydney  on the lines of popular pleasure yacht design of the day with a beautiful ‘wine glass’ hull.  This type of efficient and seaworthy boat quickly became the standard type at T.I. and many were built by local shipwrights to a slightly simplified design with a plain wooden skeg instead of the shaped ‘wine glass’ type keel.  Although the popular ketch rigged boats were then almost universally used, the popular name of ‘lugger’ stuck and is still used today to describe boats of the pearl fishery.  By the way, the industry was mainly concerned with collecting the pearl shell, as the mother of pearl was used in all sorts of domestic applications before the invention of plastic.  Actual pearls were a bonus, when found.

Thursday Island

For those not too familiar with remote Australian geography, Thursday Island (T.I.) is a small island lying just to the north of the northern tip of the Cape York Peninsular – that’s the pointy bit of Australia on the top right hand corner that reaches to the north and almost touches New Guinea.

Francis Pritt

‘Francis Pritt’ was built in 1901 as the lugger ‘Santa Cruz’ by the famous T.I. builder Tsugitaro Furuta.  She was purchased by the Anglican diocese of Northern Australia in 1905 for use as a mission ship and renamed ‘Frances Pritt’ in honour of a former Archdeacon.  She was 50.58 feet in length with a breadth of 13.75 feet.  She was said to be an especially deep boat with a full load draft of 7.5 feet.  She was sold again to a local trader in 1910 and is thought to have been lost on a New Guinea river bar shortly thereafter.

Why Francis Pritt?

As some of you will know, I usually build models of ships with a personal or family connection, but the ‘Pritt’ is a little different.  A friend of ours used to live in the township of Ngukurr, in Arnhem Land, doing bible translation work.  Ngukurr had formerly been known as the Roper River Mission and was founded by the Anglican Church in 1908 after the Bishop of Northern Australia, Gilbert White, pleaded for a mission station in the area as a means of protecting the local Aboriginal people, who were being indiscriminately murdered by European settlers.  The ‘Pritt’ was the ship that scouted the area in 1907 and then took the first team of missionaries (both European and Aboriginal) to the Roper River in August 1908.  After the establishment of the mission, nearly all the surviving local Aboriginal people came to the Roper River and were protected there.

That storey, combined with the honest good looks of the T.I. luggers, seemed very good reason for me to depart from my usual approach and build the ‘Francis Pritt’ in memory of that first mission.

The Model

The model will be built plank on frame at a scale of 1:48, giving an overall hull length of 12 5/8 inches (320mm).  I’m building the ‘Pritt’ at this larger scale rather than my usual 1:96 as she will be on public display when completed (final location not yet finalised) and needs to be large enough for people to see properly.

There are no plans for the ‘Pritt’ – indeed plans for early luggers are few and far between as the Japanese builders on T.I*. built mainly by eye.  There is, however, a lines plan for one of  Furuta’s luggers from about the same time as the ‘Pritt’, and there is also a lines plan for a luggere built at the same time by one of Furata’s, Tsurumatsu Shiosaki.  Using these lines plans plus the broadside photograph of the ‘Pritt’ on the slip (below), I pretty confident of getting a hull pretty close to the original.  The rigging and deck fixtures and fittings will be taken from surviving photographs.

John

post-5-0-58164100-1382237542_thumb.jpg

Francis Pritt under sail in 1907

post-5-0-59323400-1382237583_thumb.jpg

Francis Pritt on an unknown slipway in 1908

post-5-0-17877400-1382237561_thumb.jpg

Landing supplies from the Francis Pritt at Roper River, August 1908

The new project revealed.  :)

She has a certain no-nonsense, workmanlike quality about her that I find most admirable.  I'm a bit startled by the draft ..... but the old designers had their reasons.

I'm certain you'll do her proud, John.  Particularly at 1:48.  Allow me to pull up a chair.

Bon Voyage !!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Oh boy, pictures!!!!!  Looks like another fascinating project.  I think I'll pull up a chair also, John. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'll pull up a chair with the rest of the mob - "Down in Front" :D :D .

You do realize though John, that at the enormous scale (for you) of 1:48, you will have to make all the rigging FUNCTIONAL (i.e. working D-shackles etc  ;) :D ).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

looks to be a neat project for you.....it sure didn't take you long ;)   I'd be pleased to see this one take shape.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The best of luck with this project John, I'm sure she will look fantastic. :cheers:

I'm with Dan on the working rigging, I feel sure your up for it. :D

Will you be building her at the museum again or will she be at home.

Either way I'm going to pull up a chair with a bag of pork scratching's. :)  :)

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi John.

Nice choice and it will be a lot of fun following along.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Late to the show as usual but I have a reclining rocker dragged into position for the comfort and enjoyment of watching the show.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

WOW! There's a croud already but make room for me, I want to watch too.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Dang, first row already taken...2nd row for me then ;)

I agree about the profile, looks a bit unusual with that rounded stem, but what do I know about that, really :)

(I feel the elbow in my waist John...yes, I will get on with it ;) )

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Okay you lot, stand aside or lose a limb!!! I'm coming through - a little late, but in time for a second row seat at least I hope. Looks to be a really interesting subject John, I'll join the crowd and applaud as usual.

Edited by gjdale

Thank you folks, one and all - plenty of room in the gallery, but there'll be a short intermission while I finish the lines plans! :)

For those with specific comments:

Danny and Mobbsie - I'm glad I didn't plan to build her as she was when she was pearling, otherwise you'd have been demanding a fully working air pump and diver's dress!

Hakan - the counter shape was pretty standard for the T.I. luggers - I think also for the luggers over on the nor' west coast at Broome.

John

Hi John,

That seems an interesting project! I just love these nice low-on-the water work boats. We will be patient, don't worry.

I'm going to lurk in the front row just in case!  :P

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Hi John,

Think I'll pull up a seat too. Looks like it is going to be an interesting project and a bit of history from my part of the country that I didn't know about. :o

Looking forward to the start of your build :) 

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Glad to  see this build  come to fruition John.  I'll be taking great  interest in this due to the restoration  of the pearling lugger down here. Good luck with the  build.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Well, a little sawdust has actually been produced.  The 'backbone' of the 'Pritt' is about halfway there.  It looks a bit odd at the moment with only the after end done and no stem, but I forgot to take my stock of wider timber to the museum with me so I had nothing to use to cut the curved pieces for the forward end - next time.

Here's the keel, sternpost and skeg/after deadwood, anyway.

John

post-5-0-59321400-1383165616_thumb.jpg

Congratulations, John. 

The materials are gathered for the keel to be laid.  I’ve always liked the hard working coasters and river boats, and the Francis Pritt is a fine example.  Thanks for letting us watch your build.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Nice start John, looking forward to being a spectator as the build progresses.  

By the way, I'm very jealous that you live in Sydney - one of the most beautiful cities in the world :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Sydney is still a city - and only the mega rich actually live right on the harbour!

This almost seems to be the case on any body of water these days.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

John:

The deadwood and keel look great. One question. Will you cut a curve into the top edge of the deadwood or leave it stepped?

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Well, only a very small update again.  I seem to have spent most of my day today running around doing almost everything except model making.  However I did manage to get the stem on, so after cleaning up the basic backbone, the next job will be to cut the rabbets and then make the frame extension for the overhanging counter before making a framing jig and starting to give her some bones.

John

post-5-0-65621500-1384325049_thumb.jpg