HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

Yes Pat I agree with Greg, if they look pretty right leave them. Yours still look a lot better than the chunky pieces of wood I got with my AL Endeavour. Sorry for posting my pics on your build log, I will delete after you see it.

(But if you do want bigger beads try your local Spotlight store they sell lots of different beads for jewellery making)

post-819-0-50182000-1452583468_thumb.jpg

Edited by shipaholic

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Thanks Mark, Steve and Greg; I will stil try to find some larger beads if I can as I would like to retry these parrels in 'privet' also.  The two bead shops we had locally have shut down unfortunately so off to farther pastures....

Don't worry about deleting the photos Steve, they help add to the story and I certainly don't mind.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi folks, an update on the parrels.  I have not been able to source new beads yet but I have remade the parrels from privet (I had a nice heart piece that worked much the same as boxwood - Thanks Jim Lad).  I had not mentioned earlier that the base shape was created by thicknessing stock to suitable size, then using my mill with a round over cutter down the middle and on both edges to create the profile.  These were then sliced off and cleaned up with small files and sanding sticks.  I stained them with an Aussie product (a stain made by bushies in the outback when they had nothing else which imparts a nice colour as it ages). The photos below also show the different items used to create the holes including a dental micro-motor with ball head which created a much neater dimple than the hand tools I used previously. 

post-385-0-11361900-1452920030_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-10579400-1452920047_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-91288800-1452919997_thumb.jpg

The finsished parrels look OK and if I do not find bigger beads in time I think I can live with these.  The finished product phot also shows a privet parrel (raw and stained) compared to the red gum version.

post-385-0-71331700-1452920013_thumb.jpg

cheers

Pat

Nice work, Pat.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Another small update.  the spritsail topsail yard is now fitted and some rigging advanced.  The colour of the yards will mature to the darker colour in time but the photos show this much redder than they actually are - in reality they are more brown.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-74906300-1453280560_thumb.jpg    post-385-0-72161500-1453280416_thumb.jpg   

post-385-0-99693000-1453280686_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-29949200-1453280704_thumb.jpg

I have also started on the next small job - anchor buoys

The stock is some left over material from my masts, which I have turned to 9mm then shaped using a compound slide mounted on the y axis plate of my mill.  Some worke still needed to finalise the final shape.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-75182900-1453280958_thumb.jpg      post-385-0-27879400-1453280979_thumb.jpg

Some further progress on the nun (anchor) buoys, with one complete.  Not really happy with it, but at this scale 1:60) it is only15mm (core) so I can live with it - next one should be better.  That said, still a bit unhappy with the gap due one slightly too long sling leg. I also made one of the ring ropes to large in circumference and it sits a little low.

One small disaster today (photos in a couple of days) with one of the chain plates giving way. I need to remove the leading edge /cap of the channel, remove the deadeye lanyard, repair the solder joint and reassemble - one for Danny's boo-boo forum I think :(

Anyway here is the completed nun-buoy - I left the wood natural to simulate a cork core.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-75046000-1453528169_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-33152000-1453528281_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-09040500-1453528189_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

Good Morning Pat bad luck about the chain plate. That is something that bothered me when I built

my Swift. Do you rely on glue and a fake nail. I am keen to see the fix you come up with.

Hooroo Chris

Great work Pat. That sounds bad about the chain plate. Hopefully it is an easy fix?

I am checking mine now. Incase I need to strengthen.

Hi all and thanks for looking in.

The chain plate issue was caused by me putting too much lateral force (twisting) rather than longitudinal failure. I was trying to tie off a tackle running end on a shroud cleat and must have twisted the chain plate too much in trying to access it.  the plate failed where I had soldered the deadeye ring to the chain part of the plate (a photo will follow)

Anyways, still trying to determine the best fix. :(

cheers

Pat

Nicely done on the buoy, Pat.  The overall shots are impressive.   Looking forward to seeing your fix on the chainplate.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No worries Greg :)

Hi Paul, Greg is right - I only used the lathe as I had it - a (grown up) file or even sanding stick (with appropriate grits) will work equally as well (just take much longer).

The lathe I use is not a cheap solution as I have a Sherline (metric version with extended bed) and I used the compound sliding plate/rail.  Sherline is not cheap but you get what you pay for.  A cheaper mill will work for you but you need to do a lot more tuning and refining to it, and the accessories can be equally as costly in many cases. 

cheers

Pat

Thanks Mark,  I am still debating whether to take the full length of the capping off the channel or just cut a slot and replace it after repairing the chain plate, and using the boat boom (when fitted later) to assist in masking the joints.  I am worried that in attempting to remove the full length of capping that I may cause even further damage and with all the rigging on the mast near complete, that would be a tremendous setback.

cheers

Pat

i again Paul,

I have found the lathe invaluable, not just for the jobs you have already identified, but also for creating profiles/mouldings, canon carriages, ship's wheel etc.  I have found the Sherline an excellent tool - quality +

Sorry mate, wasn't trying to infer that you didn't know it was expensive, just pointing out that for a small job such as the mice/buoys it might not have been value for money.  PM me if you need further info.  I think it is worth considering if you have some spare pocket money )  :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

OK folks, repairs completed.  I decided to simply reslot the channel as the boat boom (when fitted later) will mask any obvious repair marks.

The following photos show most of the process.  I temporarily pinned the affected shroud to keep it clear and prevent any slackening of the ratlines etc.  I then removed the chain plate, slotted the channel capping in preparation for the repaired chain plate, cleaned up the fitting and resoldered the padeye ring to the chains, then refitted the assembly.  I used a scrap piece of wood to create the 'plug' in the channel capping then rerove a new lanyard and touched up with paint.  One of the benefits of painting is that it can hide these joints :)

What do you think?

Cheers

Pat

post-385-0-37387600-1453699518_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-77506800-1453699251_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-62585700-1453699270_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-31243800-1453699322_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-17907100-1453699626_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

While waiting for paint to dry :), I tried a bit of puddening to see how it would look

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-74318100-1453699822_thumb.jpg

Can't even tell that it was broken and then fixed, Pat.  Excellent repair.

BTW, your puddening looks great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks John, Chris and Mark - glad I was able to recover it.  Looking at the photos though show how uneven the line of the deadeyes are - not very seaman like :) - they actually don't look as bad in reality.

Yeh,Those zoomed in photos show up way too much.

I give myself a shock every time I look at one of mine,

after I post in my log. Need to take a proper look before posting.

Should be banned outright.

Hi Pat,

Love the puddening.  I tried twice on my anchors, 8 attempts, and was never satisfied with the results.  Yours look spot on.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

I dunno Pat........I think your shrouds are excellent!   in real life,  it's hypothetically impossible for all of the dead eyes to be the same height.......not if they've been periodically adjusted for tension.   same as the gun port lids {I'm sure that was drilled into their heads during gunnery practice}.  I feel it's the tiny things like this,  that gives it a life - like look.   I know we try to shoot for perfection,  but I think life - like and realism is harder to achieve.   I still have a long way to go,  to get where you folks are,  with your wonderful builds  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye; yep in real life that would be the case and I agree in that some imperfections add a sense of reality - it would have been a very strict ship (and probably a mutinous environment) had these things been that precise :)

cheers and thanks for looking in again

Pat