HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

Hi again all ands another small update.  i am heading off on holidays later this month so have put off starting on the yardarms. in the meantime I have started making some of the final fittings such as the swivel guns and Quarterbadge Window Shutters (separate post).

The swivel guns provided (see parts photo) were a single moulded soft metal part which while showing some detail were not up to scratch.  I purchased some small canon from Chuck which are real nice and I need to adapt these to be swivel guns including the cradle, post spigot and the training arms.  The following photos show progress to date where I have completed the saddle to the point of drilling for the trunnions which will be soldered in place using 1mm brass rod (stiffer than wire) to form the trunnions.  I have still to drill a hole in the bade to accept the post spigots.

To make the cradle (consistent shape and drilling) I hand shaped the cradle from the brass strip stock shown using parallel pliers with a mark on the sides for width and for the height of one of the arms.  this was then placed in a wooden template/jig that was of the required width of the cradle and marked for the position of the trunnion holes.  A notch in the end of this allowed the brass strip to be seated correctly and then secured in a vise.  I hand drilled the trunnion holes (with a few failures where I wandered off centre on the bottom hole (as shown in one of the photos).  The drilled strip was then cut to height on the other arm, placed in my hand-held vise and shaped using a needle file.

I will make the training arms from wire similar to the technique shown by Chuck.  The post spigot holes will be drilled next and all parts soldered as required to complete the assembly.  I will show these when I get to that part.

Photos - part 1:

post-385-0-23397900-1454732631_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-79393500-1454733165_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-17738500-1454733149_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-88441500-1454733021_thumb.jpg    post-385-0-49401800-1454733006_thumb.jpg

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Photos - part 2:  you can see the supplied less detailed part in photo three.  the drilled cradle shown is one of the 'rejected' parts (shown as the tree to the left in the collective photo).

post-385-0-02955400-1454733361_thumb.jpg    post-385-0-40960200-1454733426_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-15822500-1454733347_thumb.jpg    post-385-0-87523900-1454733365_thumb.jpg

The posts have been drilled to accept the spigots but I have yet to determine how high above the post the cradle was actually positioned.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

And now for the start of the quarter badge windows.  These are only 0.75mm thick and just over 5mm wide.  I have attempted to show the louvers by inscribing on both sides then preshading before painting them red.  these will be positioned in the open position.  The AOTS and some drawings show these as angles up on one side and down on the other but I believe this to be incorrect.  the angled positioning would be justified if the badge windows were  in a rounded housing/gallery, but these windows (on Endeavour) are relatively flat and would there for open outward flat or 90 degrees to the plane of the window.

Open to discussion here please :)

post-385-0-68409700-1454734168.jpg   post-385-0-33509700-1454733894_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-16961700-1454733885_thumb.jpg

cheers

Pat

I like the way the badges turned out, Pat. I suspect you're right about the way the shutters were hung.  Any other way would put some added stress on the hardware.

Nice metal work on the guns.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Chris, you'll improve your skills as you go mate and end up showing me (and others) some new tricks also :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Thanks for the photos Greg and for looking in.  I know that like a gate, it sometimes sits at an awkward angle when open, but flat/parallel to the surface when closed.  But I am yet to be convinced this window was rounded and required such treatment.  That said though, if the replica has these, and they do appear to be working versions, I may have to reconsider?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Thanks Greg, I'll stay with flat then :)

Makes you woonder though, that if you had to do all that work to get the 'jaunty' offset angles whether it was the actual practice?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi Pat

Here are pics of the badge window on the draughts of Earl of Pembroke before conversion to the Endeavour, and later draught showing same shape but less detail. They clearly show that the window was angled upwards, meaning that the shutters would swing open just like Parkinson sketched them. Those badges in the AL kit are wrong, sorry. I turfed mine when I built the AL and made wood ones the correct shape.

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-87264900-1454918178_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-89914400-1454918323_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-52555300-1454918360_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-37026900-1454918377_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-40621800-1454918402_thumb.jpg

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Thanks Steve, that explains a lot.  Just looking at your pics explained it straight away - the windows were angled and not square as per AL model and hence would swing as indicated/drawn.  I wish I had noticed this earlier (much earlier) :(

I will just have to live with it as removing these runs a serious risk of disturbing the second layer (veneer) hull planking - bugger!  Sorry to disappoint Greg :)

Thanks for the feed back Steve and Greg, I will have to pay a lot more attention to these sorts of details much earlier in my next builds.  At least the Vampire and HMCSS Victoria did not have these so one less thing to stress about.

cheers

Pat

Hi folks, a few updates.

First a completed anchor ring:

post-385-0-19476600-1455510137_thumb.jpg

cheers

Pat

Part 1 of the Swivel Gun production line :)

These show my soldering set-up and some of the tools I use.  Also the first stages in preparing and soldering the cradle for the gun - one photo shows the part in place with flux applied and bead of solder ready to for the heat. As you can see  a relatively clean joint with minimal clean-up required. Please note the part is only 1.25mm x 4mm long x 3mm high.  I have moved to Resistence Soldering as it enables me to really control the soldering heat and restrict the area that is intensely heated for the solder to flow.  The anchor ring above was soldered in-situ with the puddenning in place with no problems.  this will also allow me to solder chains, plates etc on the model if required; but some care is still required.  A lot better than putting a naked flame anywhere near these materials.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-26338500-1455510524_thumb.jpg    post-385-0-47520200-1455510493_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-95523400-1455510477_thumb.jpg    post-385-0-34945000-1455510466_thumb.jpg

Part 2 of the Swivel gun assembly process with some partially completed units in the last photo.  I still need to clean these up, blacken them and add the control arm knob/timber (not sure which way to go yet).

I am also looking foe pointers/advice on what to use or how to create a fixed circular pate about half the way down the spigot that would sit on the gun post and stop the spigot going further down the hole.  This then allowed to gun to rotate in the hole.  This will require a very small washer type part to be soldered in place which at about 1.5mm may be a tad small to achieve :)

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-29749400-1455510953_thumb.jpg    post-385-0-46563800-1455510926_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-90698100-1455510936_thumb.jpg    post-385-0-46489900-1455510964_thumb.jpg

Great looking guns, Pat.   The more I hear about it, the more I'm wondering if resistance soldering is the way to go?  Seems ideal for so many of the soldering jobs we have do on these things.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks all for looking in and kind comments.

John, yep - that is the downside as it does cost significantly more to set up.  But I would argue that if doing a lot of soldering, and some of that may be on or very near the model at times (fixing breakages etc )  then it is still a WHOLE lot cheaper than rebuying/redoing the model if it catches fire :)

The real advantage though is that I can do several different joints in very close proximity without de-soldering the others to get a new one ion place.  if you can afford it, I would very highly recommend it.

cheers

Pat

[Edit:  I should have been a little clearer that the gun barrels  are after-market - these are some of Chuck's excellent products.]

Edited by BANYAN

Thanks all for looking in and kind comments.

John, yep - that is the downside as it does cost significantly more to set up.  But I would argue that if doing a lot of soldering, and some of that may be on or very near the model at times (fixing breakages etc )  then it is still a WHOLE lot cheaper than rebuying/redoing the model if it catches fire :)

The real advantage though is that I can do several different joints in very close proximity without de-soldering the others to get a new one ion place.  if you can afford it, I would very highly recommend it.

cheers

Pat

[Edit:  I should have been a little clearer that the gun barrels  are after-market - these are some of Chuck's excellent products.]

Hi Pat,

The swivel guns are taking a nice shape.

You could add/slide a timber handle onto those shafts ?

My AB resistance kit arrived today.

Cannot wait to get into some test welding, before parts for the boat.

Dave R

Edited by DaveRow

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Hi Pat, nice soldering work :) .

I am also looking foe pointers/advice on what to use or how to create a fixed circular plate about half the way down the spigot that would sit on the gun post and stop the spigot going further down the hole.

Without knowing anything about the temperatures involved in Resistance Soldering (less heat than Silver Soldering???) I would have suggested that you silver solder the plates onto the pins BEFORE resistance soldering the pins to the guns. Maybe that's still possible if you can remove the pins again?

Otherwise - don't stress about using a plate at all. If you drill the holes in the Stanchions to the right depth the pin will bottom out at the right height :) .

Another alternative - CA or Epoxy the plates to the pins.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Those guns are looking fantastic. You have captured the look of them really well.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,  a small update to the swivel guns.  This shows some of the completed items along with the kit part and some left over parts  (errors/badly made) bits left over, but give an idea of the process I followed.

Dan, the beauty of resistance soldering is that you have much more control of the heat and soldering the pins on later was not a problem.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-11718500-1458189148_thumb.jpg

swivel guns look really good Pat.........you efforts have really paid off!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi all.  I was remiss in not advising that the barrels I used were some of the excellent products offered by Chuck through Syren.  makes a big difference to the level of detail.

cheers

Pat

Thanks everyone for looking in and all the likes - very motivating and rewarding to see the interest.

regards

Pat