HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

congrats, a beautiful model Pat,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Have a great trip, Pat.  Endeavour is looking fantastic in her home for now.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just catching up after a couple of weeks away, Pat.  She really looks the goods.

Just a point of interest re your base idea; when I first went to sea in the early 60's, most of our charts of the Australian east coast had in their title, "Based on surveys by Lieutenant James Cook R.N."  Not a bad bit of survey work for a bloke working in 1770!!

John

Hi all, many thanks to all for looking in, the likes and comments.  A couple of quick responses as I get on the road today :)

Keith - not quite finished, still the fore top gallant spar, some rigging, fitting the small bits and pieces (e.g. deadlights, quarter shutters, swivel guns etc) - but not far off :)

John, yes very impressive charting.  Until relatively recently, some of the reef charts were still his original work which reflects on the quality of his surveying and navigation, and the trust placed in him by the Admiralty.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat, you're really doing her proud, keep it up.  Not too far away now!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Jason.

That's an interesting fact Greg, wasn't aware of that.

cheers

Pat

super build...hope your enjoying your trip  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am finally getting towards the end of this build but I still have a lot of small detail to go.  I have been busy making bits and bobs for this detail while finishing the rigging.  As you can see from the progress shot, I only have the braces and tye for the fore topgallant for the rigging (unless I have missed something (quite likely) :)

The deadlights are well progressed and should be completed in the next couple of days; these will be displayed in the open position. The rudder pendants have been completed and will be fitted once the deadlights have been fitted - the spectacle plate has been fitted.  The swivel guns have been completed but will be the last items fitted (after adding all the coils etc to the belayed lines and ropes etc).

I have decided to fit the fish davit with the topping lift which has been rigged to a tackle hanging from the fore burton pendant.  I have also rigged the cat block (I know the boomkin and martingales should be removed for an anchoring evolution but I wish to show this detail) and I intend to hang the anchor, with cable bent on, from the fish hook and have a painter rigged from the cat block hook and led through the anchor ring and then to forecastle as if the anchor has just been raised.  One of the photos shows some of this detail.

[Edit]  I have forgotten to add a size reference.  The deadlights are about 22mm x 10mm.  The fish hook, cat block etc are all scratch.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-46619700-1473577784_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-64108800-1473577734_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-63069300-1473577810_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-30504600-1473577756_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

What an amazing build she is turning out to be. Fantastic work!!!

Hi Pat,

All those little things to finalize, chew up the hours I am sure.

You don't really want to use those Swivel Guns do you. ?

Send then up to Brisy, save me the trouble of making some. !!

;)

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Hi Pat,

Finally getting to see the end but......then you wrote a list as long as the journey to the moon  :D  :D  :D

No problem about that ,it just good for us so we can still be happy ,watching you're Endeavour.

It looks top noch ( still a strange word for me )

When I taking a cup of coffee with you I will examen the build closely !!!!!

(Oeps, it is at the other end of the world for me  :( )

Keep on dreaming Sjors !!!

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

A little more progress to show folks, she now has the dead lights, swivel guns and rudder pendants fitted.  I was trying to get a bit of a rusty effect on the rudder pendant chains as these would have been beaten around quite a bit and I therefore believe they would have been a little rusted :)

I have made a start on the quarter badge window shutters and starting to rig the stbd anchor for which I have now rigged the cat tackle and fitted the cable bonnets (shown being constructed here - will show them fitted in a future post).

John (Neptune) - I wasn't going to add those lines but have fitted the blocks as I think they would have been left rigged when sail was taken down - I hope :)

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-08831700-1473920405_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-90628800-1473920429_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-38727200-1473920449_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-06111900-1473920474_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-96534400-1473920459_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

Sweet work, Pat.  The stern looks lovely.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

your ship is immaculate Pat.........amazingly beautiful  :)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Here are two progress shot as of yesterday morning.  Hopefully fit the lower studding booms to the main channels, and the quarter badge shutters today.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-23057800-1474067590_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-70803600-1474067710_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

Hi again folks,

Another update :)  I have now completed the ironwork for the lower studding boom  which is shown temporarily fitted.  I still have some cleanup to do on the woodwork (and on the ship hull where I notice I have left some evidence of a misadventure).

The first photo is the promised shot of the cable bonnets shown fitted in place - the cable has yet to be tensioned and secured in place.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-84930000-1474106887_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-88795000-1474106970_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-51776700-1474106948_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-84900600-1474106937_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-31042100-1474106912_thumb.jpg

looks awesome Pat  :)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Pat,

Your metal work is as outstanding as the rest of the model. Do you do it freehand or use a milling machine. I have tried freehand and am getting nowhere.

Regards

Hi folks, thanks to all those who looked in and for the likes.

Ca. - This part of the ironwork is all freehand bending with metal forming pliers and soldering which is then touched up with a file. For example, the boom pivot joint is a bit of brass tubing of the appropriate ID (for the wire elbow) soldered to some flat strap brass which has a 90 degree bend applied.

cheers

Pat

No problems and appreciate that John; I am still learning - I just thought they would not have those lines rove without sails fitted.  I'll think on this issue though as I don't know if I have enough line for all these :)

cheers

Pat