HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

Hi Pat, looking forward to seeing your next posts. I have just about finished my longboat, which I am very pleased with. i cant find any references to the length of the oars. can you please help me? real and scale size for the model

cheers Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for looking in.  I'll be posting an update soon :)

WRT the longboat, there are two schools of thought postured by Marquardt and by Parkin - who is to say who is right?    In the end I did a bit of a mix but did use the Chapman Longboat hull (as proposed by Parkin I think) for the basis, but I did use a clinker finish (for strength which I think may have been a consideration for Cook - BUT this is all conjecture as despite reading logs etc there is no actual hint as two the type of build that I could find).  I'll look up the details on the boat proper tinight or tomorrow and try to post you an answer via PM.  I haven't looked at oars yet but I recall a good discussion here on MSW and some posts on the size ratios.  need to do a search for that, but if I find it before you I'll give a holler.

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Mike, try this post by St George. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3102-oar-lengths/?p=85602 -  is this what you needed?  Follow the link he provides in his first post.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi Greg, about half way down this post.  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3509-melbourne-tall-ship-festival-2013/?p=98369 There are only a couple of close-ups.

cheers

Pat

Hi Greg, mate keep an eye out around Floriad time, the ACT Model Shipwrights Club put on one of the best shows in the country! :)  This year's is supposed to be bigger as they are trying to tie it in with the RAN 100yr celebrations.

I'll see if I can track down a contact/link for you.

cheers

Pat

I was planning to show my Endeavour a few years ago but needless to say I'm taking forever to finish (10 years now). I did join them once and have been to a few shows. Jano's parquetry was spectacular. I seem to be on night shift every year it's on so I keep missing it.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pat, thanks very much for the link re oar sizes. very helpful. i have now finished the boat and oars 8-)

• 3 months later...

Hi again folks, a small update to the build.  I have been busy preparing some details for the rigging.  The ropewalk is now up and running along with my server and I have manage to produce a couple of shrouds etc with a decent serving on the fore shroud of the front pair (mizzen).  Not happy with the length of these so I will probably redo them.  I also have to repair a chain plate that came adrift under pressure but unsure whether to attempt this on the model or remove the channel edge strip (afraid I may damage the whole channel though in doing so) and then replace the whole chain with deadeye after repair.

One of the photos shows my  rigging station which is being modified as I find better ways to setup various rigging activities.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-99443800-1388375250_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-18024400-1388375257_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-32217400-1395371621_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-34438200-1395371672_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

Hi Pat,

Your Endeavour looks incrediable!  I forgot how sweet your ship's boats look also.

Thats a neat rigging station you have set up.  I take it, its home designed and made?

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Looking good Pat. [Whoops loaded that with a mistaken button press...] I haven't seen your log for a while and Endeavour continues to a favourite to watch. You are doing a great justice to this fine ship.

Cheers

Alistair

Edited by aliluke

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Love the rigging station. And the your build (of course). Did you design and make the station? can you please outline some of the features? i an interested

cheers Mike

Thanks John, Alister, Mike, Greg, Brian and Slog for looking in and the encouragement.  Once I get these shrouds sorted I should be able to proceed at a better pace.

John, yeah, this was a surprise as these were silver soldered,  The served shrouds tend to not stay straight and need a little pressure to keep a neat appearance - perhaps I am serving them too tightly.

Greg, the shrouds are giving me enough grief (getting them to the right length as the serving on the foreleg of the front pairs proves to stiffen them, and then when the shrouds are 'pinched' together near the tops, it shortens them again (no planning/foresight by me on this so a big learning curve) - oh well live and learn - and... thanks (I think)) for the warning on the ratlin' :)

Slog, Mike and Greg, the basic idea for this rigging station is one adapted from Hubert Sicard (Wooden Ship Modelling for Dummies); he calls it his 'rigging crab' due to the multiple appendages.  I have made all bar the small drawers in the base (which dictated the width and depth of the station) which I obtained from an artists supplier (used to store their brushes etc) and are reasonably cheap.  The upright can be adjusted up and down depending on what length you need for the job at hand.  I still need to add an adjustment device on the horizontal that holds the alligator clips to give me just a little more room behind the rope when serving or whipping etc. The only other planned addition is a jig to hold the yardarms when rigging footropes but I haven't worked that out fully yet.

cheers

Pat 

Edited by BANYAN

Probably a bit too tight as it does kink a bit. The first shroud needs to be served all the way down to the deadeye to stop wear on the sail. I didn't fix my tops until I'd finished the shrouds as it let my fat fingers in to seize them. That being said, I never did get the deadeyes aligned properly but "meh"! At 1/64 some things just won't matter as there whole rigging thing makes it look so busy. Janos Caroline is just so perfect and neat it makes mine look like the cat did it. I've almost finished to top gallants so only a few ratlines to go.

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

And just as I was getting a roll on with the rigging ---- Disaster (well a minor disaster) :)  I don't know how many times I have read of this, and despite taking care, I still managed to drop my Endeavour while working on her in my lap - Bow first.  While attempting to refine the patch up on the mizzen deadeyes that had come adrift from their chain plates, I had to try to turn the model upside down to get at the bottom of the channels.  Well, some how or another I relaxed my grip, and in one of those surreal slow-motion events I saw her heading towards bow first.

Despite my efforts I was not quick enough!  The one small positive is that as she went plumb straight down all the impact was taken by the jib boom and as I had some rigging on it, appears to have absorbed all the damage.  The boom was broken in half and no other damage  from the drop.  however to get the inboard end off the model, I had to prise some of the deck planking away.  The attached shots show the initial deck repair (some aging to add but almost all will be covered by the new boom.  the other shot sows the shaped boom after bending into the required shape.

Oh well, something had to happen eventually; I just hope there are no more.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-30990000-1395371762_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-95784300-1395371834_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

Pat:

That could have been much worse. Other than making a new bowsprit, you appear to be in good shape.

Russ

Pat,

I'm not going to hit "like"...  I'm glad that the only damage was to the jib boom as Russ said, it could have been much worse. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I still managed to drop my Endeavour while working on her in my lap

Hi Pat,

Here's an obvious word of advice - DON'T WORK IN YOUR LAP :huh:  . This is what we use Building Boards for - whether the "right way up" or upside-down. Or even Tilting ones :) .

Just don't forget to screw the keel to the board, or you might get the same nasty shock I did when (despite all the best laid plans of mice etc ...) mine DID crash to the floor breaking the Stem :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Though I agree you appear to have dodged  a bullet - it could have been way worse

Thanks all for looking in and for the words of commiseration and advice.  I am well progressed with the jib now (photos soon), I am just about to add the bands and wolding etc.  the other positive of all this is that I had the preventer sheave and stay sheave in the bees the wrong way around in the original - someone is perhaps trying to tell me not to accept 'close enough' :)

Danny, I thought of you when it happened.  Unfortunately, I have not yet made a base board, and as I have already stepped the mizzen and rigged the shrouds I have to turn her upside down in the lap to allow for the mast - I will definitely heed the advice though :)

cheers

Pat

Saw an update on your thread and eagerly rushed in to see what progress you've made. Sad to see that you've actually gone a little backwards! How long will this add to your build? Another 2 years? ;) 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi Keith and thanks for looking in and your prompt :)  Actually, I have made some progress - the mizen is stepped and shrouds in place.  While I am remaking the boom, I am also making the Gaff to put in place (working from stern to bow in placing the masts.  Should only be a weel delay as the boom is mostly remade now - should be finished by the end of this week all going well.

cheers

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, a small update having rebuilt the broken jib and doing some repairs.  In the interim I have made the gaff, and started the standing rigging for the jib and mizzen mast.  The close up photos have been sharpened to show the rope and rigging detail which has highlighted some rope fuzz and raggedy ends that needs repairs.  Unfortunately this photo process also shows all the dents etc in the wood and exposed a few paint touch-ups that are required ( a good thing I suppose :))

All comments and constructive criticism appreciated.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-56455400-1392718354_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-78562900-1392718362_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-85049600-1392718370_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-98420400-1392718377_thumb.jpg

Pat:

The new bowsprit looks good to my eye. The rigging line looks good as well. I cannot see any fuzz on the lines in the photos. Nice work.

Russ