HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/72

On 2/25/2019 at 10:41 PM, Jerry said:

Hi Kevin,

}I have no idea what y'all are talking about.  I wonder if my Victory is missing the chesstrees too?  

Jerry

good morning Jerry, its a wooden strip that is added to the hull to prevent damage from loading cargo and not the anchor , it shows in the top photo and not the other side (but should be)

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

The Chestree has nothing to do with the anchor, they are fairleads for the Tacks. There should be a hole bored through them from fore to aft for the line to reave through, and another hole bored through the hull adjacent to them that leads the Tack inboard to the Gundeck where it belays on a kevel or huge cleat.The two vertical paralel wooden “fenders” are actually used for Parbuckling casks and barels aboard, the barels role up the ships side and the two wooden tracks give a smooth surface to roll on. Here’s a simplified example of how it works. I scincearly hope the boat dropping off the stores rows out from under when they begin lifting. On a ship the size of Victory it must have been quite a task.

3FFFE99B-668C-4D93-9CE1-5B61D1E319A7.jpeg

E3F693C3-EBBE-481B-B906-E6E6B9235557.jpeg

Niagara USS Constitution 

You should be very proud of this HMS Victory Model, it looks really good. Particularly the color of the ship and the overall texture of the rigging. The colors of the deck hull and fittings are very convincing and look very natural. I know there’s now a lot of push/pull about the historic color of the hull stripes but for me Victory will always have the buttery yellow colors you have selected. 

Niagara USS Constitution 

4 hours ago, JerseyCity Frankie said:

The Chestree has nothing to do with the anchor, they are fairleads for the Tacks. There should be a hole bored through them from fore to aft for the line to reave through, and another hole bored through the hull adjacent to them that leads the Tack inboard to the Gundeck where it belays on a kevel or huge cleat.The two vertical paralel wooden “fenders” are actually used for Parbuckling casks and barels aboard, the barels role up the ships side and the two wooden tracks give a smooth surface to roll on. Here’s a simplified example of how it works. I scincearly hope the boat dropping off the stores rows out from under when they begin lifting. On a ship the size of Victory it must have been quite a task.

3FFFE99B-668C-4D93-9CE1-5B61D1E319A7.jpeg

E3F693C3-EBBE-481B-B906-E6E6B9235557.jpeg

3 hours ago, JerseyCity Frankie said:

You should be very proud of this HMS Victory Model, it looks really good. Particularly the color of the ship and the overall texture of the rigging. The colors of the deck hull and fittings are very convincing and look very natural. I know there’s now a lot of push/pull about the historic color of the hull stripes but for me Victory will always have the buttery yellow colors you have selected. 

Thank you for the info, i looked up the references for the chesstrees last night and found what they were for, LOL gutted that i had missed it in the first place, but very happy that it was spotted, i scratched one last night, and will fit it this weekend

as for the colours, i was never ever going to paint her in the pink shade, and still find it had to believe that was one of the top coats used

the rigging thread although very poor in quality  had been dipped in Flory Models clay based wash and then waxed, different shades has allowed me to show it not looking pristine 

the wooded decks were just brushed with a water based matt varnish

the tiles im not sure what to do with, most likely i will buff them up again after the rudder is fitted, and then tone it down with a diluted salt wash and then possibly a green wash, but no intentions of her staying that bright

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good evening everyone

stbd side anchors are now in, but may need to re-do them as i am pretty well guessing how they actually attach the after ones, but until them they are quite secure, and LOL given me another load of snaggy bits for lines that i am replacing

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3864.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Thats great work kevin.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

good evening everyone

with the exception of a change in my next build, i have been continuing with the rigging

all the braces are now fitted, still have a couple to secure

all cluelines and tacks are now fitted

all blocks put in at the time of making the spars are now in use

forward anchors are finished on the stbd side

missing Chesstree made and fitted

tomorrow it is hoped to finish of the vangs, fit the rudder and secure more loose ends

IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3870.JPG

IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3872.JPG

IMG_3873.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello Kevin,

I can't believe how totally unobservant I have been with respect to  your beautiful build.  I never noticed until you mentioned it that the rudder has never been hung.  Oh well, one's eyes get older every day.  And  don't get angry  with me but I do wish that you would have set some of the lower deck cannons.  Just my feelings.

Best,

Jerry

Superb work kevin  - you are doing nelson proud.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 hours ago, Jerry said:

Hello Kevin,

I can't believe how totally unobservant I have been with respect to  your beautiful build.  I never noticed until you mentioned it that the rudder has never been hung.  Oh well, one's eyes get older every day.  And  don't get angry  with me but I do wish that you would have set some of the lower deck cannons.  Just my feelings.

Best,

Jerry

Jerry, good morning

the cannons on the main deck were originally fitted, but were removed when i went for the diorama route and shut the lids, but due to space restrictions that was stopped as well

i will never have the opportunity to do another Victory build, but it would be so different i I did, are you and family well?

mc8FM1jpcxpGEagIhkLOW_g.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Thank you, Kevin.  I'm with you 100%.  I will never build another Victory either but building it was one of the huge joys in my life.  Not only because it was so satisfactory to complete this model, but most importantly I relish the number of friends I made throughout the world while constructing it.  I'm sure you must feel the same way.  I do wish that I could get to the UK once more as most of these friends live there.

My family and I are well; thank you very much for your thought.

Best,

Jerry

Good evening everyone

today was spent on the after end of my build, the rudder is fitted and i am just waiting to find out where the lines terminates, after it passes through the channel

the boom and gaff i believe are fully rigged now 

all loose ends arounf the 1/4 deck have been tidied up

some re-painting

tomorrow the davits 

IMG_3881.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3886.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

IMG_3888.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

hi kevin,

the rudder looks great. pardon my ignorance but what is holding the outer part of the rudder chain? is it another eyebolt?

thanks,

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

3 hours ago, mort stoll said:

hi kevin,

the rudder looks great. pardon my ignorance but what is holding the outer part of the rudder chain? is it another eyebolt?

thanks,

mort

Mort good morning

from the Spectacle plate the chain has been tied (not passed through) two eyebolts 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

well the rudder rigging was sorted, and im in the process of doing the davits, although i have nothing to put on them, all the ships boats are so brittle i have been unable to salvage any of the them, Caldercraft dont stock them in 1/72 at this present time

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3890.JPG

IMG_3891.JPG

IMG_3892 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3893.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Lovely work kevin.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

good evening everyone

thank you everyone for the likes and comments, sorry i have bored a lot of my followers over the last 7 years, but it is coming to an end, Honest

this weekend the quarter davits and been finished and rigged , with exception of the running gears, im not sure if that was fitted if no boats were embarked,

the Stun booms made and fitted

both fwd anchors on port and stbd completed

and oooo whats these 3 items in this box ( mast pillars) long lost and forgotten about, now found painted and fitted

IMG_3896.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG

IMG_3899.JPG

IMG_3909.JPG

IMG_3911.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

11 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Congrats on your perseverance Kevin, she looks fine. 

Thank you, the close up photos with flash highlight every blemish, which panics me quite a bit, so i see the pictures and rush down stairs to see if it is as bad as it appear, in most cases i cannot see anything 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening everyone, does this stun boom look more or less in the right position

20190318_201029.jpg

20190318_201018.jpg

20190318_201008.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello Kevin,

I don't know if my pictures will help but I'm posting them here for you to see.  Maybe seeing the foremast and mainmast stunbooms  (taken through the display case) will answer your question.  If not, please forgive my intrusion.

Best,
jerry

20190318_162019.jpg

20190318_162123.jpg

Edited by Jerry

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Hello Kevin,

I don't know if my pictures will help but I'm posting them here for you to see.  Maybe seeing the foremast and mainmast stunbooms  (taken through the display case) will answer your question.  If not, please forgive my intrusion.

Best,
jerry

20190318_162019.jpg

20190318_162123.jpg

Thank you Jerry,  i wasnt quite sure how far forward to the spar they sat

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

1 hour ago, paulb said:

great job, Kevin, very inspiring for me!!

ty Paul, im thoroughly enjoying what time i get on her, normally just weekends

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Looking good Kevin.  What a majestic ship she is.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

your almost finished Kevin........must be a great feeling ;)   the stun booms are forward but slightly raised........kinda like the 2 o'clock position.  I like the way you have your davits......looks good since there are no boats for them.   I saw Jerry's ship......I had to do a double take :D   :D 

stellar job.......congratz on your milestones!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good evening everyone

managed to get the foremast stuns in, they make quite a visual difference to the overall appearance of the build

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_3934.JPG

IMG_3933.JPG

IMG_3932.JPG

IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

looking at the photos,  i have a broken line allowing the foremast lower yard on the port side to be pulled aft

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished