HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/72

You had me worried there for a minute, Kevin.  I thought that last picture was indicating you had turned Vic into a planter.   :P  :P   I'm so glad you haven't... the rigging is looking better and better every time.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Jerry 

I also just bought another 50 hooks - just in case 

Thank you Mark that's a real compliment - means a lot to me

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I keep looking at your last photo and the way the masts are reminds me so much of how she looked back in 2011 in Portsmouth...

Can I ask, how you tapered the masts? I am asking because I have no lathe or other tools to be able to taper easily. All I have is a david plane that I rarely use as when I do I end up taking far too much off :(

------------------------------------

Regards,

Dominic

Current Build: HMAV Bounty by Caldercraft 1:64

Hi Dominic....

Is there any way you can get access to a drill press?  I turn all my masts and yards on a bench drill press. 

Just wondering.

Best,

Jerry

Jerry not at the moment. I have a 4 by 6 corner of our bedroom at the moment.

Early into next year though I am having a large section at the top of my garden decked and a purpose built workshop built on it so I can start to invest in a few larger power tools.

My method for tapering is I simply fit the mast into a low powered drill and use sandpaper and taper that way...but it leads to rather warm hands :huh:

Regards,

Dominic

Well, Dominic, one gets warm fingers when using the drill press also; actually...HOT fingers.....

By the way, thanks, Kevin, for letting us use your site to correspond on.

Best,

Jerry

Dominic look at page 2 and 3 of Gils build, but i used a cheap lathe from screwfix, since added a chuck to it from Axminster tools (i think it was from there)

post-846-0-43381800-1439410720.jpg

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Jerry if it is relevant to the build then I dont see a problem - after all it can bee weeded at a later date

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Thanks Kevin. A lathe will have to wait for now...I simply have no where to put it.

Dont know how yet I am going to complete this Vic...she is longer than my current workbench :huh:

I've been looking at Gil's methods. The 1 on page 3 is interesting...not sure if I read it wrong, (and haven't read/checked the plans yet), but it seems the taper he made on the lower foremast is only on the side, so are they actually not round then?

Edited by Dominic

Regards,

Dominic

Tapered with flat side - so the saddle fits

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone - well this is my attempt at the carthapins - i found it quite fiddly - making sure the tension of the shrouds wasnt altered and the fact the ropes them self s are different lengths -  

post-846-0-00626600-1439664033_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-49166200-1439664035_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-79040200-1439664037_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-25980500-1439664042_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

the phots do show that i need better scissors so that I can get closer to the tie off (ordered from amazon) - also my lack of skills - lol as some parts of the futtock stave now looks over crowded 

is there more than one type of beeswax- the stuff i am using leaves a yellow residue on the thread - 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Nice job, Kevin.  I, too, found it difficult to maintain tension in the futtocks but eventually it worked out.  Keep going, you're doing very well.

Best,

Jerry

Hi Kevin, 

I imagine there are different brands of bees wax but I do not know of any.

Sorry,

Mort

PS

Keep up the great work.

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Are you using the soft yellow beeswax like that used for sealing the toilet (loo) to the waste pipe?   There is a hard, white, beeswax used by carpenters. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This is what i received - hard yellow - will try and order a white one and see how I get on

post-846-0-13158900-1439701272_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello Kevin, 

it´s always a pleasure to watch the pictures of your Victory. It´s easy to forget that it´s "only" a model and imagine she is a real ship.

You give me much inspiration with your work. Keep it on!

Greetings

- Heinz -

thank you - but your build is far better than mine

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening 

Re-did the lower foremast preventer (preventor)  and made the one above it  - at least i can forget about them for now - until the time comes to snaking the two together

post-846-0-19346100-1439754003_thumb.jpg

ratlines 

Using A4 lined paper it has given me the alternate lines - looks like i will have to do about 29 of them, done the first 5 - but already my skill set has over taken them so will replace them during the week, - the Caldercraft natural thread get very fuzzy - - so i am staining them with a clay wash, wiping dry then running then through the beeswax about 5 times - seams to have helped a lot 

post-846-0-43281500-1439754329_thumb.jpgpost-846-0-55348300-1439754327_thumb.jpgpost-846-0-43477500-1439754325_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin...Jusst repeating how smart I think you are to wax your rat lines.  It makes a huge difference in many ways and not at least in keeping your rigging dust free.  My Cutty Sark, which has all of its rigging waxed, has not had a speck of dust settle on any of her rigging for the past 18 years.

Best,

Jerry

well - this is something new for me, a mid week update

allays learning something new- but now realise that the ratlines don't go across all the shrouds at the top and bottom, havnt found out why though yet

anyway, nothing is fixed yet 

using the caldercraft natural line 0.1mm dyed with a clay wash and then waxed

experimenting with coloured card to see if I can get a better photo

post-846-0-60644000-1440012848_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-05390300-1440012850_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-15264400-1440012894_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

it wasn't until I took the phot's tonight that i realised how much number 1 shroud has been pulled in - i dont quite know how im going to sort that out without redoing them - lol which might end end replacing the whole lot - oh well

post-846-0-26295200-1440362078_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-42493800-1440362080_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-04246500-1440362082_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

It looks like the problem started back in post 1021.    Try running vertical lines to match the shrouds before doing the ratlines as point of reference.  Yeouch... that looks most of them need to be reworked.   I think a lot of us end up re-doing ratlines, if that's any comfort.

Edit.. brainstorm.... brace the masts over and slacken the first deadeye...  :)  ;)

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark 

looking at the pictures i think I may have created my own problem with Number 1 shroud where it is secured to the futtock stave, as much as I regret it - I may have to go and start all over again and produce new shrouds and then possibly go for black ratlines rather than the white (stained grey) lol - i might as well then paint the yellow bands pink at the same time 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

If you'll at the photo from above that I've attached... note the red arrows..  I think your lower alligator clip is the responsible party that's where the greatest "pull" is.  The knots as indicated by the arrows followed that curve of the shroud.  The stave is above the curve and the upper alligator clip and had nothing to do with it.

post-76-0-80076300-1440399232_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark I released Number one shroud from the futtock stave, and it now lines up a lot better, as to weather it is good enough, I will wait to see how the Port side goes

post-846-0-28122700-1440399602_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-73469200-1440399603_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-82228400-1440399606_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening , well Im a happy bunny tonight, started the port side, which is building up much faster as I gain confidence

post-846-0-13461200-1440438354_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-11624200-1440438356_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-31000800-1440438358_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-53129100-1440438360_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-30101600-1440438362_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-68181400-1440438363_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Indeed, sir.   It looks 1000% better. What was it, too far forward on the stave?   Port side is shaping up wonderfully. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: