HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/72

Very nice. This is a great post.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Thanks Grant,

Ive often wondered. They say it's best to keep quiet and let other believe you ignorant rather then open your mouth and remove all doubt. I guess I don't care if people know I'm ignorant, as I'm new to all this I should be ignorant. I've never been afraid to show my ignorance, otherwise how do you learn. After all, ignorance is just a lack of knowledge.

Stupidity is something again all together different.

I find it amazing the wealth of knowledge I have drawn from the collective MSW since my first log in back in Nov 2012.

Just doing some Victory searching and found this. Everyones probably seen it before but if not it's one amazing piece of artistry.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1320476/Sculptor-spends-17-years-carving-replica-HMS-Victory--using-wood-real-thing.html

What's even more amazing to me is that its carved from original timber - Oak. As I understand it, oak is one of the hardest woods to carve due to the grain, which makes me question... I've always read that the OLD English oak was FAR superior to American oak due to its slow growth and tight grain. I wonder if this made the carving possible or at least easier or if the wood was treated in any way.  So much to ponder.

I also ponder what percentage of the old girl is still original. How many refits and restorations have occurred and how much has been replaced in her 200+ years. As I'll never build a Victory as I just dont have that kind of dedication in me anymore, I still find her history so fascinating. Other then "the Anatomy of a ship" book which is pricey is there another good read on her history?

Thanks for the patience with my lack of knowing and for maybe asking questions that have been over asked. Luckily and sadly, I can plead ignorance due to the MSW1 meltdown. So much information reduced to electrons, MSW2 is a true testament to the dedication of staff and builders in this hobby.

Edited by themadchemist

Looks Marvelous, that picture with you holding pin drill really shows off the side paint job. The sheen on those black wales is perfect, along with the deadeyes.

but like always I have questions, Why are smaller deadeye always incorporated in the channel. I've always wondered as I've seen that done in many different kind of ships and never found a reason while researching. Again just curious.

Great Work Kevin

Grant thank you for answering

Keith, i have been trying to find a photo for you, found this, its not exactly what i wanted, but my plans are to big to scan , however it shows the small dead eyes and corresponding ropes going it different direction to those supporting the shroudsdIMG_4350.jpg

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Kevin, I guess the problem is that the Victory is so danged Tall that any picture of her the shows the complete height is to far back to trace lines.

Nice big detailed pic, although you can't see where they go you can see they aren't part of the lower shroud, you can see they aren't hitched either. Wow, my new fact for the day. Thanks for the picture that answers something I've wondered about, but never seen discuss.

I also found this on the carving from the Vicky's Timber into the Vicky. 17 years, just amazing.

http://www.contemporarysculptor.com/victory-model.htm

Edited by themadchemist

Build time 775 hours

Fore channels Stbd side completed according to the plans all my chains are in the right place, but some are longer in RL than the plans suggest, one or two drop of the wale 

Stbd side steps fitted, still require to be sanded and repainted

i need to find an acrylic paint to match the flat black, all these little dabs of paint touching up pins and edges is starting to look a bit naff in the photo's (when using a flash)

post-846-0-14982000-1365967916_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-02780000-1365967996_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-82236900-1365968031_thumb.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Greetings keviin

It's really coming on fine, and very good explanations. I have a question would it be best to have the deadeyes all rotated to the same formation for the connecting the lanyards, I adjusted some of mine after checking on plan sheet twelve, I thought it may cause a problem with criss crossing occurring. I may be wrong , or is it not important . DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

hello David

According to my understanding deadeyes pair as in the diagram, sorry for my poor paint diagram. Singles holes go up on top and down on bottom. Or at least thats how I understand it. This prevents twisting, of course there is a certain way to thread it ( I believe that is called reeving) also which I think is on my blueprints for my build. Someone with more knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong.

here a link also

http://books.google.com/books?id=T0YF0TUlE2wC&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=deadeye+reeving&source=bl&ots=vyyqNSzF80&sig=k4SGMSz1mjnBXdxovYA-sf3MGcI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qDtrUePcC4nl4APp6YG4Bg&ved=0CFsQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=deadeye%20reeving&f=false

it is good that you adjusted them. 

post-846-0-58746300-1366002356_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

All looking good Kevin, sure you'll be happy when you get the touchup done.  Just curious, do you have a timer that you're using to measure "time on build"?  :)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

no timer, i just note the time start and finish, therefore that's the time i have spent on the build, to if im stuck on something, i move on to something else, and think about it, if researching, then that is build time, i round up and down 1/2 hours 

it is not a complex or anything, i just wanted to know how much i have spent (kit and consumable used)  and time taken, i spreadsheet it with date, time spent, what im working on and items bought, lol (making myself sound so sad) so i know what cost per hour i am getting 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

So then Kevin,

I guess that means that the longer it takes you to finish, the lower the cost per hour, and therefore the greater the value for money. Yep, I just know the Admiral is gonna buy that! :D

it is not a complex or anything, i just wanted to know how much i have spent (kit and consumable used)  and time taken, i spreadsheet it with date, time spent, what im working on and items bought, lol (making myself sound so sad) so i know what cost per hour i am getting 

I'd love to see stats that split the building/thinking time - I do spend a lot of time fiddling and staring without tangible progress...but that's part of the fun.  Luckily I don't have a launch date scheduled.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I'd love to see stats that split the building/thinking time - I do spend a lot of time fiddling and staring without tangible progress...but that's part of the fun.  Luckily I don't have a launch date scheduled.

I reckon I would spend more time on the thinking, studying, planning than on the actual "doing". And you're right, that's all part of the fun - the intellectual stimulation and challenge, as well as the physical skills acquired and developed. :)

On the other hand.... if you do decide to go into business doing this.. you'd have ample data on time taken to build various components, and can then come up with a reasonably profitable cost per hour labour rate... of course that may drive away customers.. :huh:

But as a buddy of mine down at the model railway club always says: "Let's see you work for $0.02/hour" :P

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Nice work on the chainplates, Kevin. You're moving right along.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow and I thought Analytical chemists were sticklers for data collection. Sadly if think about it is time consumed I'd have to count most waking hours. Did that awesome shop build time count?

I really like the deadeye diagram you posted Kevin, nice detail which is hard to see in many pictures. One question thats hard to see in that diagram. Is the intial line that is lashed to the channel (through the eyebolt) tied off like the one wrapped to hold tension (serving I believe its called)?

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Rigging_and_Sails/ScaleSails.pdf

i have put this here for my own use, sorry for everyone running to see my latest update, but it might be useful to someone else, that my problem i still only use a small part of this site

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

Don't sweat the time log or the reference for the sails.  That's a pretty good article on setting the sails.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark

I feel i need to start looking at the sail, even if it is a year or so away, to produce a full set of sails is not going to be an over night job,

what material

1/72 drawings for every sail including stuns

extra rigging required

and so on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Nice pdf on sails, Thanks for posting, I hadn't seen that one either.

and don't quit keeping track of time, I think its cool your doing that. The analytical part in side of me wants to know, just like when I was a kid I did the experiment to see how many licks it take to get the the center of a tootsiepop. 3 WAS NOT the answer.

782 hours total, 230th build session

no Phot's yet. but does not look that different from the last ones, All stbd side channels are fitted with chainplates, and most of the decorative strips are in positon fitted and painted, i can almost start working on the stern

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

well the head timbers took me a lot longer to look right, than i thought, i am kind of semi pleased with the way they look, i have no plans at present to do them again.

all the best

post-846-0-51156000-1366465084_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-59848400-1366465090_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-34608800-1366465102_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-64931800-1366465107_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-61745300-1366465112_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-65875800-1366465129_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

The first pic caused me to do a double-take, Kevin.  Thought I was seeing the real thing you were comparing it to.   Nice work, indeed.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: