HMS Victory by ocean clipper - Caldercraft - 1/72

SJORS

Don't know about you joining derek at the rigging!!!!!!!! He has been practicing rigging in the garden. He tried to tell me it is a clothes line !!. The only thing he could hang on it is a white flag. I feel he may be doomed!!!!!!!!! DAVID

I will have you know that is the main mast for HMS Doomed at the start, took me ages to do that.  Cheers DEREK

Hello Derek,

Just checked in on your build for the first time in a while, and goodness, what fantastic progress you've made.  She's really looking good and you did a great job with the port lids.  My progress has been slow lately what with spring finally here and lots of garden work and getting the pool open.  Hope to have something to post soon.

Keep up the great work!

Patrick

Hi Derek........ your Victory is looking "Smashing" ( I think that's the term you Brits use :D ). You've come along way and your efforts have certainly paid off. Excellent work Derek!!...... Glad you enjoyed the vid.....  I.ve got a place reserved for the Oscar you are sending me :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Derek

I just looked in on your build log of thr HMS Victory again and you are doing a great job of this great ship. I especially like your stern gallery it sure dose stand out and I know that you must be very proud of it along with the rest of your great build. I am also building the HMS Victory but from AL. in my kit the the taffrail is just a plank of wood, I was wondering if you could tell me what this Taffrais is made from, and can it be perched separtly,  I think that a Taffrail like you have would look great on my HMS Victory.

Regards

Hi Canoe i have sent you a private message regarding where you can buy this item   DEREK :cheers:

Hi all AM now proceeding with the bowsprit,i do not possess a lathe so am making do with a large chuck on my drill,the first thing i do is make sure the dowel runs true and not all over the  place,i then use a davids plane turning the chuck by hand,then i start the drill up and lay a smooth  file  onto the dowel,when  the dowel is down to the correct thickness,i then hold some smooth sand paper over the towel while it is rotating,ok its primative but it works well.. :dancetl6::pirate41:

post-14-0-41670800-1369485137_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-17469300-1369485148_thumb.jpg

Hi Derek

I intend to do much the same thing.  Was your chuck big enough to take the dowel or did you have to reduce the diameter of the dowel first ? I don't think my chuck will be big enough !

Cheers

Yon

Hi Derek

I intend to do much the same thing.  Was your chuck big enough to take the dowel or did you have to reduce the diameter of the dowel first ? I don't think my chuck will be big enough !

Cheers

Yon

Hi yon i reduced the dowel down to 12.7which is the correct diameter for one end then it fitted into my chuck,it is a fairly large chuck i have   DEREK  :pirate41:

Hi Derek,

I have been shaping masts and yards that same way for each of my models. It works fine.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

This is just something i put together using scrap wood,going to put a few more holes in it so it  takes more dowel sizes,as well as ensuring the dowel has a better chance of running true,it will or should stop any of the thinner dowels snapping as i down size them.(that's the theory anyway)   Derek     :cheers::pirate41:

post-14-0-52044400-1369570054_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-84736000-1369570063_thumb.jpg

Can someone who is building Jotikas victory got to plan 11 top right corner part 69 bow sprit cap tell me if they think  it should be pre drilled one square hole one round offset and angled as per bowsprit,then go to the  parts manaul where it shows to me a blank piece.mine is blank all other caps 66 67 68 are pre drilled,wondering if its a  manafacture error.Thanks in advance  DEREK :(

i have not looked to see hoe Gil did his

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Derek

Mine has no holes in it too - must be an error in manufacture. Its going to be tricky to make the holes if they are to be offset and cut to the right angle.

Cheers

Yon

Hi Yon  i am going to wait for tuesday and phone them if its there fault which is what it looks like they can send another part out     DEREK :pirate41:

Hi Derek,

I  haven´t built this model but FWIW I think they expect you to cut these holes yourself at the correct angle so that the cap is perpendicular to the waterline. The top and bottom edges should run parallel with the bowsprit.  I built the C:C. HMS Cruiser which came with the holes pre drilled,a waste of time as they were not angled. Had to make a new bowsprit cap,easy enough to do that. Also,it´s worth checking out the mast caps. When I filed out the mortises to fit the mast tenons they were much too large because of the size of the pre drilled holes. Had to replace all the mast caps too  :angry:  all part of the fun of ship modeling I guess :D  ;)  

Regards,

Dave :dancetl6:

Hello  all the last thing i wrote was about part no 69 had no holes  pre drilled transpires you do them your self,then it was on to the last part of the bowsprit  which has 2 rings attached to them part  numbers given  where for the carronades,on phoning  jotika they   had no clue and promised to return my call which they did eventually,only to tell me  the numbers where wrong i allready  found that out for myself,then the ring sizes supplied where wrong to,jotika who are normally  helpfull where a waste of time ,there ring size solution was file other ring to correct size still trying to figure out how you file 5mm hole down to 4mm,no offer of we will send part out,beginning to think jotika  losing the plot,going to source  those rings elswhere now.

Ok so far   2 pieces of Bowsprit attached,moving on to the masts foreward main is built not fixed as of yet,i was going to complete all the foreward first then the main and so on,but for no  particular reason have now decided to do all the  mast bottoms first.Have got to say i do enjoy this part of the build ok its slow going (is there a rush ? )for some reason i find building the masts and yards more interesting then the rest of what i have done dont know why i just do,quess we all got our favorite part of build.  DEREK :pirate41: :pirate41:

post-14-0-99776300-1370498363_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-98347500-1370498409_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-91424300-1370498483_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-97268700-1370498503_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-42413000-1370498518_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-13830100-1370498529_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-05323400-1370498540_thumb.jpg

Ok so far   2 pieces of Bowsprit attached,moving on to the masts foreward main is built not fixed as of yet,i was going to complete all the foreward first then the main and so on,but for no  particular reason have now decided to do all the  mast bottoms first.Have got to say i do enjoy this part of the build ok its slow going (is there a rush ? )for some reason i find building the masts and yards more interesting then the rest of what i have done dont know why i just do,quess we all got our favorite part of build.  DEREK :pirate41: :pirate41:

Hi Derek - looking very good

I have not had chance to do any work on my build for a week now - withdrawal symptoms are setting in, - but have a long weekend ahead - dam that’s full of DIY - lol

i think the reason we look forward to masting is - that it changes the whole aspect of the build as we go from length ways to putting height in, and possibly a new chapter opening up, also a lot of work will have gone into the hull that will never be seen, everything you do now is there for all the see

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

hello young man

Well done Derek, keep up the good work. This is a good place to be on the build, and I reckon it can all be done by hand. The yard rings ? I have not got any 686 rings, I emailed caldercraft asking for the missing parts, and they mailed me back saying 686 on the bowsprit is an error it should be 689 and that was it. Have a look at Gil's bowsprit on page three of he's build log and tell me if the two rings are the same size, of course they are not. Don't bother about them derek I will send you some 686 s from shipyardsidsdockyard, forget about using 689. OK get outside in the sun with your knife and fork and whittle a piece of dowel DAVID