Prairie Schooner OGALLALA by DFellingham - BOTTLE - Complete, 1/96 scale

maybe I should have worded that "the purposefully and meticulously folded up rig, which appears a mess, but is actually very carefully placed for later raising once in the bottle"  :P  :D

wadded up mess was easier to type and I'm lazy  ;) I didn't mean to imply how it was, but rather its appearance. :huh:

I've seen other SIB builds where the ropes are numbered so that once inside, the builder knows the correct sequence to get the rig to stand correctly without binding. It's like magic to me, and like any good magician, SIB builders understand the necessity of sleight of hand and preparation.

I'm glad you took that candid shot as it really gives one the sense of the "pucker effect" one must endure at such a stage :o

maybe I should have worded that "the purposefully and meticulously folded up rig, which appears a mess, but is actually very carefully placed for later raising once in the bottle"  :P  :D

wadded up mess was easier to type and I'm lazy  ;) I didn't mean to imply how it was, but rather its appearance. :huh:

I've seen other SIB builds where the ropes are numbered so that once inside, the builder knows the correct sequence to get the rig to stand correctly without binding. It's like magic to me, and like any good magician, SIB builders understand the necessity of sleight of hand and preparation.

I'm glad you took that candid shot as it really gives one the sense of the "pucker effect" one must endure at such a stage :o

I laughed hard over that first sentence. I know how the wadded up mess looked (but it is a very apt description) and just wanted to clarify. Nothing about an SiB can be haphazard.

I've tried many different ways to organize the threads that will be secured inside the bottle. Here, I prepared two strips of card stock, one for each side, with a series of slits cut along one edge to keep the lines organized with name tapes folded over the end of each line (in some cases pairs of lines). The lines are arranged from fore to aft along the card strip. The three major control lines (main, fore and jib stays) were the only black threads leading out of the bottle, so there was no chance of confusion there

Dave.

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

:piratebo5:

:cheers:  Ogallala is finished.  :cheers:

Tensioned and secured all of the lines but had to redo one that was done wrong. Had to cut it loose at one end and glue another thread to it end to end, then re-tension the line, glue and trim it inside the bottle. Don't bother looking for the splice - you won't find it.

Cleaned the inside glass again then located the prairie disc and ship using the four threads from the wheels taped to the outside of the opening. Once in position I epoxied the disc to the glass in three places. When the epoxy cured I painted the inside of the bottle below the soil line and re-checked the tension on the four threads. I had intended to simply epoxy the other medallion over the opening to trap the threads but decided this may not be secure enough. I cut a block of basswood to fit between the medallion and the bottom of the prairie disc and epoxied it to the medallion. When cured I epoxied that assembly to the disc and the opening.

post-70-0-49252100-1414643157_thumb.jpg

The medallion with the basswood spacer after checking the fit. I epoxied the

assembly to the disc and the face of the opening to trap the lines as well.

After the epoxy cured and the outside of the bottle / sphere was cleaned I took lots of photos. Here's two full view photos.

post-70-0-75132200-1414643155_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-39221800-1414643153_thumb.jpg

I'm still going through them all and will post more tomorrow or the next day. Click on the photos for larger versions.

post-70-0-85472800-1414643150.gif

Dave

Edited by DFellingham

Magnificent.  Thank you for sharing her, and all your tutorials, with all of us.  It's been a true pleasure watching her come to life.

WELL DONE, mate!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Fantastic !  Thanks for showing us how it’s done. 

Let the celebration begin.    :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Just fantastic.  I love it. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic work Dave, a real inspiration for an aspiring ship in bottle builder.

Thanks for all the hints.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

:piratebo5:

Thanks for the very kind comments. Here's the best of the photos of the finished Ogallala.

post-70-0-69460600-1414777897_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-99713600-1414777918_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-76942600-1414777899_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-07475200-1414777902_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-29457900-1414777892_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-74388900-1414777906_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-85670800-1414777908_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-57747800-1414777914_thumb.jpg

Thank you to all who viewed this log and especially to those who contributed with 'likes' and with comments - you all pushed me to do my best possible work.

Now I can get back to work on Esmeralda. I learned a few things here I can apply to "The White Lady".

post-70-0-69027300-1414777919.gif

Dave

Dave,

Please consider posting the finished photos in the Completed Scratch Gallery.  I think they deserve being there also.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 months later...

I'm posting a follow-up on Ogallala.

Upon finishing her I submitted photos to Bottle Shipwright, the quarterly journal of the Ships in Bottles Association of America (of which I am a member), and quickly learned that Ogallala would be the featured SiB in the March issue which I received a few days ago. Here's the cover. I'm not going to bore you with posting the photos from the article because they have already been posted here.

post-70-0-00285900-1425441028_thumb.jpg

As an aside, I mentioned a couple times in this build log that I can't really see my work for what it is. All I can see are the deficiencies no matter how minor. Ogallala has been sitting in a box on a shelf since I finished her in late October - until today. I'm now able to see her as a whole and I'll admit I was impressed and very pleased.

If you haven't seen them yet check out my two current projects listed in my signature.

A hearty congratulations and a well-done, Dave.  You and your Ogallala deserve some recognition.  post-76-0-02303000-1425446002.gifpost-76-0-02303000-1425446002.gifpost-76-0-02303000-1425446002.gifpost-76-0-02303000-1425446002.gifpost-76-0-02303000-1425446002.gifpost-76-0-02303000-1425446002.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

MORE than mere recognition.  She is to be celebrated.  And I'm very glad that, looking back at her now, you are pleased with your creation.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Good on you! A proud moment for any model maker to receive that recognition