3D Printing - Not Just Yet!

Whether you like the technique or not, it has impressive capabilities.  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

If I had he chance I would go that route.  At the scale I work at it is hard to make a part that is good enough and small enough to be to scale.  But not everyone is as stubborn or mad as I am.  I remember when I made a propeller for my model.  It took me several tries and a lot of frustration to get the look I wanted. If it was 3d printed and looked right I would not hesitate and snap it up fast.

But many modelers do not have the deep pockets for all the toys we want so we make do with what we have.

Enough with the rambling.

David B

The prop. after about 6 attempts and a lot of bad words.

post-227-0-88092300-1417877148_thumb.jpg

You are right Mr. Rkurczewski.

When I rethink about and over and again ... today I can not live/work/model without my "dremell" tool, magnifier etc etc. I can not investigate and research without internet. Can not make drawings without PC. And can not participate on any forum, scan and resize plans .... Some folks here use different type of CAD software and make miracles

10 years ago ? 20 years ago?

You can add to this use of acrylic colors, hipersharp knives, CA glue, ......

Things are changing, and we have to accept this. Something to apply, something not, something now, something later or never

Everybody is Cap. on his own model with his own vision ambition will and idea what he is/was/want to do, and as David said - with his own thick/thin pocket and line of priority.

If I have opportunity, I am not sure I don't like to play a little with 3D printer. Years to come, who knows ...

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 1 month later...

Here is my first attempt, 3pounder gun  based on Armstrong 3pounder drawings in download section.
In fact this is the second drawing, as the scale is aprox 1:120 and the first model was exactly based on drawing so the bigger part of details, printed with that proportions would disappeared.
So as the printing company warned me about it, I drown new model with less details and over sized.
This is the result of laser printing with resolution of 0,1 mm
The part of photos show the cannons in phase of painting with previous applying of liquid putty to reduce the porosity of surface.

The last two picks are the rapresentation of the model, drown in dwg and converted in stl format.

post-1426-0-65725500-1422652591_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-68948500-1422652592_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-64395300-1422652593_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-51002200-1422652594_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-34109200-1422652595_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-14863200-1422652596_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-33047500-1422652597_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-63721200-1422652667_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-14423600-1422652668_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It’s a car not a boat but I thought it was interesting how many different types of printers he uses to get what he wants.

http://videos.designworldonline.com/video/3D-Printing-Building-the-1927-M;search%3Atag%3A%223d-printing%22

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 1 month later...

Just heard of an application today.    Made to order shoes using 3D scan/print technology !  Talking commercial goods here, not prototype.  Nifty!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Interesting, but I call BS... we here should stick to reporting practical and real applications of the tech for our modeling needs.

Shoes: Just look at the complexity of materials and assembly in any desirable modern shoe... tough but cushioned soles, sides with appropriate support and tensile strength (leather or fabrics), soft cushioned and absorbent linings, extremely strong closure systems (metal eyelets and strong laces), all tied together with binding materials that withstand the continued pounding from our significant masses... and now replace all that with a single printed material? Even if the printer can deliver variable densities (e.g., foam), is this something you'd want to wear? Or pay for? (Think of shoes currently made with minutes of low cost Asian labor, vs. HOURS on a 3D printer)... 

There's no end to the 3D print hype out there...

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

Interesting thread and discussion,.......I'll toss out another link that should generate some related interest in the field of this craft (just another tool to ponder!!!!).......enjoy.........

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/224743317/stepcraft-2-universal-desktop-cnc-3d-printer-for-e?ref=nav_search

JP

***make sure to scroll down to see the applications directly related to ship modelling***

Edited by Ponto

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken a keen interest in the 3D printing movement and followed it continuously. I want to try using it to create the detail on the captains cabin and several other smaller details. I've used the Form1 desktop printer to print a section of the mary rose on a previous project at a 1:200 scale. I don't have any closer photo's unfortunately, but it came out very well. 

Check out this link, some interesting work being done there. 

http://3dprint.com/51566/carbon3d-clip-3d-printing/

9eafd24c-69bd-419c-845d-4899c9891b52_zps

Thanks,

Iain

Edited by iMack

This stuff is really interesting. Thanks.  I tried to look at the house in Marc's post, but for some reason I get directed to the link below..?

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle  

Which link does not resemble "http://innovation.uk...use-in-24-hours" even a little bit. Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Skip

[Edit]. I have to apologize for my post if it appears out of context. I finished the first page of this discussion and noticed the "Reply to this topic" dialog box. I assumed I was at the bottom of the discussion, without noticing there were 2 additional pages of post. I need to remember this in the future-- just because the "Reply to this topic" appears at the bottom of the page does not mean I have read all the messages. :(

Edited by skipper1947

In my warship combat club, we've been doing quite a bit of development work using 3D printers. While there are limitations in both the equipment and the materials economically available to the hobbiest, the technology is advancing by leaps and bounds. I've read all of the posts here on the subject, and have my own take on it.

If you set the quality of the printed parts aside for a moment, keeping in mind that this will continue to improve as time goes on, aren't we left with the 3D printer as simply another power tool in the shop? If your particular style of model ship building does not include power tools, then a 3D printer does not factor into your approach. But if you do, in fact, use power tools to shape parts in your build, then I think it's reasonable to look at this technology in the same way you look at a scroll saw, band saw, table saw or Dremel saw. Just as any given power tool may not be your cup of tea, a 3D printer might not either.

Rob

I posted this in Shore leave, but this seems to be a good place also especially regarding the price point for those who know how to do this.

3D printer called Tiko

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks, but I wouldn't touch it. This is another example of a cutely packaged machine which can make NOTHING of use to the maker of fine models.

This is a "fused deposition machine", basically a computerized hot glue gun. It builds parts in squiggles, melted noodles of plastic.

Instead, the modeler is well advised to spend the money instead at a commercial house which has invested hundreds of thousands (if not millions) into the finest industrial 3D printers available. THESE machines can make the parts that we modelers need. 

Pat M.

Matthews Model Marine

Model FUNCTION as well as FORM.

Get your boats wet!

Some months ago I started that other thread on 3D Printers. After doing some research and looking at actual 3D printed samples, my conclusion was the same as Pat's. Affordable 3D printers are a waste of time if you are a ship modeller. The resolution is too low, and the parts are too crude to be of any use. At this point in time, it is better to pay someone to make the print for you. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks for the information Pat

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi,

I'm just a newbie thinking about my first build, so I will defer to those who have many, many more years of experience. But it seems to me that a major point which everyone seems to aspire to is excellence in craftsmanship. To my way of thinking craftsmanship is how well one utilizes the tools and materials available to them whether a CAD program and a 3-D printer or a piece of bone and a whittling knife in a British prison.

John

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

• 11 months later...

My attempt to made winches and cranes for mercantile ships in 1:350.
The longest piece, crane have about 5 cm (2 inches) and the winch on biggest dimension is about 8 mm (0,3 inches), the photos are taken on plain fine paper :D

vinc3 prikaz.pdf

0-dizalica_okrugla_prikaz.pdf

post-1426-0-64240200-1458387515_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-77236900-1458387522_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-18918500-1458387531_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-51279400-1458387540_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-90384600-1458387546_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-09497000-1458387555_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-08071600-1458387563_thumb.jpg

If you go to the end of my 2D to 3D tutorial in my signature, you can see the results of my 1/32nd and 1/64th scale dredge winches, that I had 3d printed. The prototype winch was 36 inches tall from the base to the drum axle.

Naturally I have seen, very nice, fantastic work in design and excellent print result. I appreciated the "clear lines" no overlapping, You know that in 3D the difference between "near" and " on" are abyssal although You couldn't see it :)

Edited by Leo-zd

Hi, it was printed by Shapeways  with material Frosted Ultra Detail because this was the test print, probably the friends will order with Frosted Extreme Detail which have better resolution. anyway the limit is 0,1 mm as the smallest dimension.

Here are two parts I just sent to Shapeways as samples, to see how they come out. When I get them back, I may have to make changes for the final versions. These are Oyster Dredge Frames for 1/32nd and 1/64th scale Chesapeake Bay Skipjack models. The smaller for the Lindberg kit I'm presently building, and the larger for the MS Willie Bennett, I will start soon.

post-10090-0-76075400-1458997668_thumb.jpg

The upper frame bars on the smaller model, are the minimum 0.3mm wall thickness standard, as is the brace running along the bottom of the 1/32nd frame, from front to back.