Fly tying vice for rigging?

src

Hey all,

I am just getting to the point of rigging my Enterprise, actually the line for the stern gun  ports. I am already running into the challenge of how to seize the line to the rings. Has anybody tried a fly tying vise? does it work for you and is the rotating option worth paying for? 

Been reading up on them and found a couple in my budget, one with a rotating option and one without.

Thoughts?

sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hi Sam,

I use a fly tying vice all the time when rigging blocks etc. I have two that can be used for holding eyebolts when seizing blocks and use both when I need to hold a length of line.

I also use a fly tying bobbin which holds the tying thread and keeps the tension constant.

The types I have both differ in age and design, I have had one for 20 odd years which I used for tying sea hooks, this has a screw jaw, the other one has a quick release  lever.

Neither of these have a grooved jaw, to me that would be a complete pain.

I would recommend the use of these handy little tools to anybody, they are so versatile.

Hope that helps mate.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Good Morning Sam / Q. A.

I have taken a few pics of my fly tyers showing how I use them, for the purpose of these pics I have not used the correct main thread and the seizing thread is just ordinary cotton.

They are a "G" clamps which fits onto the edge of the workspace so the distance can be what ever you like, I'm showing close work.

The starting knot is a Clove Hitch and the end knots are 2 x Half Hitches.

The first picture is a 5mm Deadeye set up in the screw jaws with the trailing line thread clamped in the quick release.

post-493-0-71435200-1383995910_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-44008600-1383995947_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-77129100-1383995984_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-85109300-1383996065_thumb.jpg

The Bobbin is just hanging holding the line taught

post-493-0-23869400-1383996098_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-74994200-1383996176_thumb.jpg

The finished item, bearing in mind this is only a demo piece

post-493-0-54077100-1383996247_thumb.jpg

Next is a Long Block, this was completed a while ago but still by the same method but with a brass rod to form the eye.

post-493-0-05215400-1383998602_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-44860400-1383998631_thumb.jpg

Here is an eyebolt that has been put in the screw jaws a tread attached to that then a 3mm double block tied in.

post-493-0-93799500-1383998880_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-35986200-1383998917_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-60831300-1383998937_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-53215100-1383998959_thumb.jpg

So there we have it guys, hope that's not too long winded and that it shows what can be done.

If you have any other questions that I am able to help with ask away.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Thanks!!! I once bought one of these things. I really don't remember what for, since I am no fisherman. I just dug it out from the bottom of a box. It will have some use now!!! :) 

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Sam, Thank you for asking the question!

Mobbsie,
Great timing for me! My first kit arrives Thurday. I've thinking about ideas for a jig of some sort. I don't like recreating wheels, thanks!

Warm Regards,

Bill

Edited by Bill Hime

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Mobbsie,

Great description and pics of your set up. Think I'm gonna have to get me some of these!!!

Hi Guys,

I have so far found the screw jaws a better vice to use mainly because it's easy to catch the release lever. If your not completed on a job the release of tension may cause the work to have to be redone.

The Bobbin is used to wrap the seizing around the thread, this can then be left hanging until you are ready to tie off.

Hope that helps.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie, please advise which vise/attachments you are using in your tutorial which is very well done.

Thanks, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Mobsie,

Many thanks for the demo, my wife picked up a complete Thompson Model A vise at a yard sale for 3 dollars a couple of years ago, :)  so this means I need one more.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I wish I had the time and energy to yard sale! I probably could have saved my self some money, I just ordered a couple of used Danvice - $72.00. I know I could have gone to Ebay, but...... this place seemed to be the one.  http://www.btsflyfishing.com/

When I told Al the owner what I was going to be using it for, he got real quiet and said "Thats a first, now I have heard everything" He was actually kind f tickled that I was going to use a fly vice for this.

Thanks again Mobsie

Sam

Cabela's  has fly tying vises from 13 dollars upward.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Good Morning Harley,

I'm afraid I cannot give you any manufacturer's details for these vices mate as I've had them a good while now, the vice on the left I have had over 20 years, the cost would not have been much, a few pounds that's all. The vice on the right I purchased from a company called Troutflies UK, it came from their budget range and cost £6.99, I also purchased at the same time a Spigot Bobbin Holder £3.99 from the same company.

There are no attachments, just the vices and bobbin, I use the cheapest I can find and the most basic, I don't need to rotate the work so no point in getting the fancy vices. Prices have gone up but they range from £9.99 up to £320.00, ($15.86 to $507.94 US).

Basic is best.

Hope that helps.

mobbsie

mobbsie

src, would you please give me an idea how you are using the Danvise. I'm not familiar with fly tying and the Danvise doesn't seem to have the attachments shown in the video posted in this topic.

Thanks, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

Harley,

I just received mine thursday and you are correct, its just the vice, no bobbin holder. So far all i have been able to do is look at it; work is keeping me very busy. I was going to experiment and see what worked for me, most likely following Mobsies pictures, maybe coming up with techniques of my own, dont really know. I had in the back of my head to possibly use the rotating feature to wrap my seizings; I dont know if that will work or not, the tip of the vice is not centered to the axis of rotation. I am hoping to get some bench time this evening or tomorrow to play if work will cooperate. In the mean time it looks like it is off to the tackle shop for me to get a bobbin holder - scary prospect there, tackle shops are like a tool or candy store for me. 

Sam

Sam, I tried sizing last night without success. As you say, it doesn't rotate properly. I put it back in the box until I have some time to play or someone else comes up with a good application.

Maybe mobbsie an bail us out.

Deep breath, patience--

Cheers, Harley<p 

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

Harley,

Had a few minutes last night to "play." this is what I came up with:

post-326-0-70408000-1384705592_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-21849000-1384705591_thumb.jpg

There is lot of room for improvement here, but it was really nice to just clamp the rope and go rather than trying to find a way to use tweezers to hold it. Next time i will rig something like this off ship. I would have been so much easier. Ah well, first build and all.... :huh:

Anybody have advice on getting rid of the fuzzies?

EDIT- I think Mobbsie is correct here, basic is best. So far I am not seeing the advantage of the rotating feature - time will tell though. what would be great I think is a gimbal/ball joint to move the head around.

Sam

Edited by src

Sam,

You asked:

Anybody have advice on getting rid of the fuzzies?

My advice is to replace your kit supplied rigging thread with a selection of thread from Chuck (Syren Shipmodelling Company). His thread is fantastic and has no fuzziness at all. Well worth the investment in my opinion (and very moderately priced too).

Cheers,

Hi Grant,

That is Chucks Syren rope. It is FAR better than the kit supplied and the fuzzies only really show up under a macro lens. And yes very fair price and great turn around.

Harley, I read the instructions today - fancy that - and the head is adjustable so the rotating feature may work after all.

Sam

Good Morning Sam, I did not get instructions just a DVD. I'll give them a call.

Best, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

Sorry Sam - must be "extreme" macro to show fuzz on Chuck's thread! ;)