Revell re-released two Essex Class SCB125 moderized carriers Woo Hoo!

ScottRC

I'm jazzed, Revell just re-released the old chunks of plastic that was to resemble an modernized Essex class aircraft carrier.  One is their 1/540 Hornet (aka Wasp, Lexington, Essex, etc...) and even better, the Renwal 1/500 Shangri La (aka Lexington).

My father served on the Lex when she was re-commissioned in 1955/56.  I have kit-bashed built one in 1/700 but now feel I need to get the 1/500 Renwal kit and make a larger scale.

Whew! Now I don't have to gag at the ebay prices nor look are either scratchbuilding, or like I did with the 1/700 scale, take a Trumpeter 1/350 WW2 version and modernize it.  That was quite a fun undertaking.

Alright, enough of my talking about lead barges and back to sailing ships.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

I haven't seen one of those in years! I got a chance to pick up Trumpeter's 1/350 Yorktown (CV-10) which included several sheets of PE for a great deal...It looks to be an awesome build that will probably get to in a few years. Too many things waiting on deck!

Found this on ebay for a great price - like $50 U.S.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trumpeter-1-350-Kit-5608-USS-Lexington-CV-2-Aircraft-Carrier-1942-/370936048210?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item565d82ea52#ht_166wt_937

Worth a look if you want to build the Lexington in 1/350...

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

I just ordered the Renwal kit due to the fact they are limited production and already a number of places are sold out. 

The Trumpeter 1/350 kits are wonderful, large kits.  That was what I was going to use as my template.  I used a 1/700 Dragon Ticonderoga as a base for my Oriskany. 

post-3680-0-64869100-1383927824_thumb.jpg

Marine Models USF Essex

Great build - it looks great and love how you weathered the deck! I prefer ships, etc., as they appear in operational status and not factory fresh. How did you do the water? The only time I made water, I used Celluclay and formed it around the ship. With proper painting, I think it turned out OK.

I have never built any Dragon kits with the exception of armor - how are their ship models? I only have a couple of plastic ships to build. Right now I am just starting on an all-resin LPH-11 U.S.S. New Orleans as a gift for my Dad, as he served on her during 1969 - 1970. There has never been a plastic model of the Iwo Jima class LPH's, but my with my luck someone would come out with one as soon as I finish this one!

The water is a fun. I used I technique I learned at a IPMS show a few years ago. The model is mounted on a picture frame.  I painted the glass the color of what the South China Sea would look like.  The painted side is face down opposite of the side the model is mounted on.  I then lay on Artist Gesso by Liquitex, this is what artists use to cover and protect oil paintings. It goes on rather thick and goopy and can be molded into waves and built up in layers and dries clear and has no odor.  I then added white caps and foam with oil paint and then gave everything a coat of clear satin Krylon artists clear coat.

One of my favorite movies has be Bridges at Toko Ri because it always gave the feeling of how dark and lonely, yet personal, that war can be.  I wanted the model to represent the feeling I get when I watch the movie.

Dragon kits are at par with Trumpeter and I think are really good.  I did not have a single problem with the kit, although all I used was the hull, which I ended up building a secondary hull around, and the lower part of the island.  The flight deck is a laser cut wooden aftermarket kit that was stained, painted, then sanded and weathered.  Everything else was scratchbuilt or robbed from other kits.

post-3680-0-05726400-1383947089_thumb.jpg

post-3680-0-00229700-1383947121_thumb.jpg

post-3680-0-69123100-1383947381_thumb.jpg

Marine Models USF Essex

Ahoy Spiff :D

Trumpeter kits and Dragon kits are very different. Trumpeter uses considerably more parts where as Dragon minimizes the quantity. I have enjoyed building both kits but the Trumpeter kits do tend to be slightly harder to build. They are however easier to detail.

PS> Trumpeter will also be releasing a 1:200 Missouri.

http://www.trumpeter-china.com/a/en/product/ship/1_200_Series/2013/1006/2514.html

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Dragon calls their kits "Smart Kits" due to their injection molding process allows them to mold parts in full instead of in halves.  For instance, the Trumpeter Ticonderoga's island came as one injected molded piece, a lot like a resin kit would have, where as the Trumpeter Yorktown has the island as two pieces.  Less part count and less seams to fill. :)

After building these high tech Chinese kits for the past years, I think the old Renwal kits is going to be a real eye opener.  Flash, globs of plastic, and injector pin marks up the wazoo, boy am I excited.

Scott

Marine Models USF Essex

Beautiful work, sir. I love the weathering you did - the deck looks like the ones you see in old photos. Truly amazing work! Funny, I just watched Toko Ri this past week. Great movie! Couldn't tell from the pics if a miniature Mickey Rooney and his green scarf was on deck... Your rendition of water is excellent! Looks easy to use - I may use it on my current project.

Will have to give Dragon kits a shot - have never built 1/700, though. Opened my Yorktown last night, man what a bunch of plastic!

I haven't built those old Revell kits in a long time - sometimes it's nice to return to the roots...

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Ahoy Spiff :D

Trumpeter kits and Dragon kits are very different. Trumpeter uses considerably more parts where as Dragon minimizes the quantity. I have enjoyed building both kits but the Trumpeter kits do tend to be slightly harder to build. They are however easier to detail.

PS> Trumpeter will also be releasing a 1:200 Missouri.

http://www.trumpeter-china.com/a/en/product/ship/1_200_Series/2013/1006/2514.html

Wow, I bet the Mo will be a pretty penny! The Yorktown kit sure does have a lot of stuff! but I have the syndrome otherwise known as super detailing syndrome (made that up! can't wait to dig into it!

Thanks again for the compliments ;)

Marine Models USF Essex

Scott,

Great work as usual and I love the way you did your water and thanks for explaining how to do it. I can't wait to see your Shangra-la!

Steve

Current Build: Merit 1/48 Early Eco 80' PT Boat and Imai 1/50 Catalan Ship

Finished:

Revell 1/196 USS Constitution (My oldest son's school project)
Revell 1/72 Hanse Kogge
Revell 1/50 Viking Ship
Revell 1/72 U-Boat
Zvezda 1/72 English Medieval Ship Thomas

Revell 1/90 The Nina

Got the Renwall kit Friday and already have it assembled and ready to paint.  Forgot how much fun "toy scale" was.  Kit maybe has thirty parts in it.  I say toy scale because pretty much everything in the kit had been molded thick and with minimum detail and emphasis in function more then scale.

I am lousy at getting pictures.  I am more focused on building but I will try to take some pics tonight and post.

Edited by ScottRC

Marine Models USF Essex

Got a few pics of tonights progress to show what the kit entails.  I am really going to try hard not to add PE or beat myself up superdetailing.  Even though the size of the model and the main parts are just begging to be cut, sanded down, and a bunch of scratch detailing done.

post-3680-0-47967000-1384824990_thumb.jpg

post-3680-0-99341800-1384825031_thumb.jpg

post-3680-0-12856200-1384825061_thumb.jpg

Marine Models USF Essex

Must resist the tempatation to built a new elevator!  I did it in 1/700 and almost needed therapy afterwards.

post-3680-0-76441700-1384825225_thumb.jpg

Marine Models USF Essex

My Dad was on the Lex in 56, which is what this kit was originally released as and does a fair good representation as far as the lines go.  I plan to use the kits decals and make the "16"s on my computer.

Marine Models USF Essex

The main criticism I have read was that the planes were really poorly molded.  I think the Cougars look pretty good and with a little putty and some sanding, make a canopy and turtledeck that will make a nice Cougar.  Then order some Banshee's, Cutlasses, and AD's from Starfighter and should have close to a complete airwing for the Lex in 56.

post-3680-0-78863100-1384825953_thumb.gif

Marine Models USF Essex

Instead of building tonight I find myself making notes, pulling out my plans and resource materials, and am making a list of aftermarket goodies and stock plastic sheet and rods.  So much for slapiing it together in a few nights so I can play with it on the livingroom floor.

If nobody hears from me for awhile, it probably means I'm locked away deep in the corner of my basement scratchbuilding that crazy tubework on the elevators.

Marine Models USF Essex

• 1 month later...

I have been working on and off on this model.  It had been kinda hard since my dad passed away a few days before Christmas and I was building this for him.  But I started back up and now began the base coat of paint on the flight deck.  Also picked up planes and decals from Starfighter.  Still need to add railings and other details.

post-3680-0-90922900-1389713504_thumb.jpg

post-3680-0-19157400-1389713523_thumb.jpg

Marine Models USF Essex

Scott,

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad.  A beautiful job you are doing on this ship and a fitting tribute that you're going to continue.  

I'd like to suggest that open a log in the kit area as this really more for questions and reviews.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks,

I will start a log, hopefully I can keep it up, I tend to forget to take pictures as I build. ;)

Marine Models USF Essex